90% Heart rate at jogging??..is it Hi intensity

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
got a question about jogging and hi intensity training.

how do we determine if something is hi intensity?...is this purely judged by our heart rate or do we need to take into account something like lack of oxygen amongst other things?

I went on the treadmill today and jogged at 12km per hour (7.5mph) for 10 mins. Then I slowed down to about 3mph and I immediately measured my heart rate 3 times.
Twice on my watch's HR monitor and once on the treadmill HR monitor.
I got an average of 179.... (i am a very unfit person btw)...

using the model of 220 - age = max heart rate, my max heart rate would be
220 - 23 = 197...

so by doing that 12kmh jog for 10 mins, i'm was at 90% max heart rate.

1. would this pass as High intensity?
2. why am I getting such a high heart beat... is it because i am unfit or is it normal... or...?

cheers,

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sh1t I wish I had the answers for you mate. I dont, but I will be interested to hear what others say. Gotta wait for the Americans to get up. I think they asleep at the moment.:poke:

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

how do we determine if something is hi intensity?...is this purely judged by our heart rate or do we need to take into account something like lack of oxygen amongst other things?

I went on the treadmill today and jogged at 12km per hour (7.5mph) for 10 mins. Then I slowed down to about 3mph and I immediately measured my heart rate 3 times.

220 - 23 = 197...

2. why am I getting such a high heart beat... is it because i am unfit or is it normal... or...?

cheers,
Hey bro these are good questions. It is considered high intensity,AEROBIC, exercise. Your percentage of maximal heart rate corresponds with your percentage of maximal oxygen uptake/utilization. If you are at your max hart rate (or close) this means that you are at a maximal level of energy that can be generated from aerobic processes and you are likley already producing a significan amount of energy from anaerobic processes. With that in mind, if this is the first time you ran in a while, your heart rate is not higher then expected. If as you say you are out of shape, then a near maximal heart rate after running 7.5 mils per hour for 10 minutes is totally normal (assuming you had no chest pain etc.). I am in shape and a pace like that is a good pace for steady activity for someone in shape. With that in mind I would not worry. The question is can you do it again today? If not, or if you have pain, my suggestion is start at a lower pace and build up a level of fitness.

Mr.50

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
well it sorta depends too if its a good thing or bad thing if your going strictly for fat loss and dont care about catbaolism and your muscles then id say your doing ok maybe take it down a notch if your are unfit as you say you are gotta work your body into that type of intensity, but if your looking at preventing catabolism and preserving your muscles then take it down to low intensity for long periods of time, IMO i do a brief 5 mins hi intensity jog before my workouts then a good 20 mins low intensity cardio session like an elliptical machine and never had such great results of losing weight man check it out

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well it sorta depends too if its a good thing or bad thing if your going strictly for fat loss and dont care about catbaolism and your muscles then id say your doing ok maybe take it down a notch if your are unfit as you say you are gotta work your body into that type of intensity, but if your looking at preventing catabolism and preserving your muscles then take it down to low intensity for long periods of time, IMO i do a brief 5 mins hi intensity jog before my workouts then a good 20 mins low intensity cardio session like an elliptical machine and never had such great results of losing weight man check it out
HIIT is not catabolic. I am not going to start the debate about which is best for fat loss, but you are very wrong about the nature of HIIT. Any training can be catabolic if a person has inadequate nutrition.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
HIIT is not catabolic. I am not going to start the debate about which is best for fat loss, but you are very wrong about the nature of HIIT. Any training can be catabolic if a person has inadequate nutrition.
Saved me the trouble

OzzY SluGGa

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Every one of those answers was great. See, i told you, just had to wait for the Americans to wake up an turn their comps on. Smart Aussies are around too, but we probably out numbered 50-1. Anyway, thats some good answers right there!:biglaugh:

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro these are good questions. It is considered high intensity,AEROBIC, exercise. Your percentage of maximal heart rate corresponds with your percentage of maximal oxygen uptake/utilization. If you are at your max hart rate (or close) this means that you are at a maximal level of energy that can be generated from aerobic processes and you are likley already producing a significan amount of energy from anaerobic processes. With that in mind, if this is the first time you ran in a while, your heart rate is not higher then expected. If as you say you are out of shape, then a near maximal heart rate after running 7.5 mils per hour for 10 minutes is totally normal (assuming you had no chest pain etc.). I am in shape and a pace like that is a good pace for steady activity for someone in shape. With that in mind I would not worry. The question is can you do it again today? If not, or if you have pain, my suggestion is start at a lower pace and build up a level of fitness.

Mr.50
cheers for the info man.. so it is hi intensity.... yea, it had been over 3 weeks since i'd done a jog and even then, i hadn't ever jogged at 7.5mph, it'd always be at about 6mph. My fitness is quite low. Trying to work on it

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
cheers for the info man.. so it is hi intensity.... yea, it had been over 3 weeks since i'd done a jog and even then, i hadn't ever jogged at 7.5mph, it'd always be at about 6mph. My fitness is quite low. Trying to work on it
Good job bro! Just eaze into it and if you are going to do hi intensity work, my reccomendation, it to attempt to do some HIIT as the above posters reccomended. Back in the day in school we just called it interval training, not HITT so I still call it that, but what the above posters say is totally correct. It is really important what you are attemptint to accomplish. If you want increased oxygen uptake and calorie burning then interval training is the key. If you are attempting to increase endurance then long slower runs are key. In either case just build up slowly and then the progress will come.

Mr.50

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established

220 - 23 = 197...

cheers,
220 - Age = Maximum Heart Rate
Maximum Heart Rate - Resting Heart Rate = Heart Rate Reserve
Heart Rate Reserve * training % + Resting Heart Rate = Beats Per Minute

you can rearrange the equation for training %