Sauna/steam room and sub q weight loss

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
here's my question...

if I go in the steam room or sauna obviously I lose water weight, I'm assuming most of this water is the water right below my skin, the sub cutaneous water, correct?

This obviously dehydrates you, so after I usually drink a good amount of water...I don't want to deplete my muslces and have them look flat so I try to stay hydrated...

so my main question: is it beneficial at all to go in the steam room or sauna to help lose of this sub q water weight, and by drinking water right after, will it nullify the diuretic effects..or will the sub q water still be/look reduced for a little while...how long?

and which is better the steam room or sauna...usually I go in the steam room first then go in the sauna (maybe 5-7 minutes each)

310lifter

310lifter

Awards
the long term weight loss benefits of sauna doesn't exist for the reasons you stated.

you should replace what you lost by drinking water afterwards, which should make up for whatever water weight you lost.

in the process however, you do release toxins your body and improve circulation. also good for joint issues.

blakkbwoy

blakkbwoy

Awards
I see the steam as somewhere to go during the cool down period after a workout(oxymoron right?). Since it stimulates circulation it can help with tight muscles and cramping. Unfortunately its not going to anything for you fat wise. Everything you lose will be water and you would have gained it back by the next day

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
going to sauna 4 10min after workout helps release HSP heat shock proteins. which aid in recovery

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Which is better for what goal?

If its losing water weight Id recommend the sauna over the steam room. I actually fall asleep in the sauna after workouts for relaxation, release of toxins and just a peaceful nap. Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I look crazy ripped afterwards.

I hope that helped with answering your questions. Also your body burns cals in the sauna so depending on your diet and cardio before and after entering its great to help weight lose. Best of luck to you.

raw1973

Awards
Good point WhatsaRoid!

I talk to a friend all the time about sauna as I've been meaning to utilize for the detoxing and stress relief benefits. Though, he's mentioned more than once that his heart rate stays elevated in the sauna after a workout.

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
Good point WhatsaRoid!

I talk to a friend all the time about sauna as I've been meaning to utilize for the detoxing and stress relief benefits. Though, he's mentioned more than once that his heart rate stays elevated in the sauna after a workout.

ur heart rate will be elevated in the steam room or sauna, perhaps more so in the steam room.