Newb CKD question - Diminished Mental Capacity?

Fry

Awards
Just started learning about CKD, as I need to lose some belly flab and that seems to be pretty popular. Quick question...

As described further
below, one study (22) found a decrement in mental flexibility during the
first week of adopting aketogenic diet. Therefore, for individuals who's
jobs or livelihood requires great mental acuity, the ketogenic diet
approach (cyclical or otherwise) may not be an ideal one.
Have you guys found this to actually be more than just theory? I'm an advanced control systems engineer by day and an MBA student by night so any additional difficulty in focusing would mean that this isn't the strategy for me.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
that's a similar problem to what i had man.

I'm a software developer for a retail company during the day.
When I went on CKD for 2 weeks, it was very hard to focus plus my stomach couldn't take it too well. It could have been psychological or it could have been glucose deprivation maybe?

Currently i'm on a 40 - 30 - 30 diet for fat loss and that seems to be working slow but well.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Just started learning about CKD, as I need to lose some belly flab and that seems to be pretty popular. Quick question...

Have you guys found this to actually be more than just theory? I'm an advanced control systems engineer by day and an MBA student by night so any additional difficulty in focusing would mean that this isn't the strategy for me.

There is some brain fog, but it largely depends on the person.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
and as they say, it tends to be worst as you first go into ketosis, seems a lot better once you are fully in.

Fry

Awards
Eek. Doesn't sound like a great option for me.

Well, more reading.

Thanks!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
eh, i'm a software developer, and i dont mind. what you do is have your last carb meal on wed mid dayish. thursday you still aren't horribly depleted yet, friday its starting to get there later in the day. then saturday morning do a long sustained moderte fasted cardio (like 1hr with heart rate at 140), and so long as you keep fat intake up you should be starting ketosis by sunday, and starting to feel like its pretty normal by tuesday or so

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I found that stims that have PEA or 1,3-dimethylamylamine seemed to really help me with the brain lag in the beginning. Afterwards, the brain adjusts to the alternative fuel source (non-carb) and it's back to normal. I didn't even need the stims at that point.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I get the "brain fog", but it only seems to last for a day or so (I find it is the day before I enter keto). Once I am back in keto I feel fine, and perhaps a bit sharper due to the extra energy I have.

adnscmplx

Awards
I'm a med student currently studying for a medical licensing exam and I'm on my 4th week of ckd. I haven't noticed any real deficiencies. I am doing fairly well on practice tests and feel pretty sharp otherwise.

I'd give it a shot if I were you, It is very effective. If your mental acuity is too severely impacted then you can always stop.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
I'm a Law student and Judicial Law Clerk and have been on the CKD for 5 weeks. No problems concentrating other than the first 2-3 days of the diet.

Jack of Shadows

Awards
I am an academician and researcher and so spend a lot of my time having to stay focused - I have always found that the regulation of mood that comes from eating low carb has helped my mental acuity.

I never suffered any brain fog from ketogenic eating. I would agree that there are likely individual differences involved.

Fear

Fear

Awards
Interesting... has anyone here ever experienced 'brain fog' from a glucose free diet, or a low carb (not CKD) diet?

Fry

Awards
Hmm. Maybe I shouldn't give up on the idea just yet. Seems like between this and having started HIIT at the gym I could be reuinted with my abs by summer. :p

Thanks for the input. I'll keep reading. Maybe I'll try it afterall.