Opinion - Cardio: High Intensity vs. Low Intensity Long Cardio

derker2008

Awards
To all you experienced with significant weight loss, I need your help. I'm 25yrs old, 5'101/2" tall and 235 lbs with about 26% BF. I want to lose weight but keep as much muscle as possible, basically decrease BF as much as I can. It's already gone down 2% since I started eating better 12/2008 and intensified my workouts(Cardio3-4times/week). My eating is getting cleaner and cleaner each week as I try to master this discipline. I have been doiong the Elliptical for 3/mi in 27mins and burning b/w 350-400 calories and my Heart Rate is usually hovering around 160+. My friend tells me that I need to do the Elliptical for 45-60mins at a Heart Rate of 130 in order to burn the most fat and shred. Do you all need anymore info from me? Please let me know what has worked for you and what I should do here to get down to that ideal 14,15%BF I desire?? I think I'm going to swap it up b/wthe two until I hear otherwise. :feedback:

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
To all you experienced with significant weight loss, I need your help. I'm 25yrs old, 5'101/2" tall and 235 lbs with about 26% BF. I want to lose weight but keep as much muscle as possible, basically decrease BF as much as I can. It's already gone down 2% since I started eating better 12/2008 and intensified my workouts(Cardio3-4times/week). My eating is getting cleaner and cleaner each week as I try to master this discipline. I have been doiong the Elliptical for 3/mi in 27mins and burning b/w 350-400 calories and my Heart Rate is usually hovering around 160+. My friend tells me that I need to do the Elliptical for 45-60mins at a Heart Rate of 130 in order to burn the most fat and shred. Do you all need anymore info from me? Please let me know what has worked for you and what I should do here to get down to that ideal 14,15%BF I desire?? I think I'm going to swap it up b/wthe two until I hear otherwise. :feedback:
Keep up the good work!

As for cardio at a h/r of 130, I don't find a lot of use for that, unless it's your "off day" or you just choose to have a low impact day. I ran the Detroit half marathon a year ago at an average hr of over 180, so don't worry about 160. Exercising at that heart rate for an extended period of time (be it an hour or 27 min.) will not only burn fat, but condition you so cardio isn't such a pain in the a**.
I'm a fan of mixing up extended cardio with interval training, but you should be doing your long bouts of cardio at the heart rate your at, and interval training should be more intense, like sprints.
One more thing...
I find it benificial to mix up my cardio traing. i.e. one day elliptical/one day running/one day stairs/one day bike. Or a set amount of time at one station then move to another. This makes things easier on your tendons/joints/ect., and trains your body more completely.