Best way to get back into ketosis on CKD after carb up

pitching101

pitching101

Awards
  • Established
What is the quickest way to get back into ketosis the day after a carb up? I was considering lifting early in the day then going back and doing low intensity cardio for about 45 minutes late at night. Do you think that would accelerate the glucose disposal process. I also use R-ALA. Would it be better to do HIIT later at night instead of low intensity?

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
What is the quickest way to get back into ketosis the day after a carb up? I was considering lifting early in the day then going back and doing low intensity cardio for about 45 minutes late at night. Do you think that would accelerate the glucose disposal process. I also use R-ALA. Would it be better to do HIIT later at night instead of low intensity?
I don't wait that long. Right after my last carb-up meal, I jump rope for about 20-30 minutes before going to bed. By the time I wake up 8 hours later, I'm already on my way. I do 20-30 more minutes of jump rope soon after waking up and before breakfast. By lunch I'm already showing trace ketones.

adnscmplx

Awards
Anyone have any thoughts on using alpha lipoic acid to aid one's return to ketosis? Lyle McD mentions Vanadyl Sulfate, Chromium, and Mg but I didn't see anything about ala.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
ALA is the Schnizzle! Nutra's got a good deal on 300mg caps. I just do a hard HIIT workout the next day. I've also been taking much smaller carbups...about 500g. As my BF% gets below 15%, I'll consider bigger ones.

adnscmplx

Awards
Rampage- How do you dose your ala? I was thinking 600mg/day until ketosis.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I had a 48 hr carb up this weekend that ended at 10am Sunday morning. As of the typing of this post, 10am Tuesday morning I am back in Keto.

I trained chest yesterday(in a fasted state with only BCAA during workout) followed by 12 minutes intense steady state cardio on an arch trainer, and 20 minutes of HIIT on a treadmill.

Today I trained legs(in a fasted state with only BCAA during workout) followed by 12 minutes intense steady state cardio, and 25 minutes of steady state cardio on a treadmill.

Perhaps training this way will help you get back into keto faster.

vasu

Awards
I miss DS Glucophase mainly for this reason. That stuff could get you back into keto after any binge within a day or two.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Na-r-ala and Cinnulin PF for me after my last carb meal on my refeed day and then again with a bcaa shake 30 minutes prior to each of my first 2 meals the two days following my refeed.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Not to mention raising your fat levels up a tad bit over a normal day and doing some cardio, or a bit more cardio than normal.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
I had another 48 hr carb up this weekend. I wound up getting sick Saturday night, and subsequently missed the gym Monday.

I made the gym today did my fasted training and cardio. When I got home I was in keto, and I have been pissing like every 10 minutes since.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Not to mention raising your fat levels up a tad bit over a normal day and doing some cardio, or a bit more cardio than normal.
Bump for this: tweaks include doing cardio at the END of your (last) carb-up day, ALA before bed, bump your fats the following morning. You should be back in ketosis before nightfall - and maybe even before lunch....

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
how much weight do you guys typically shed in keto? I found that I can get into it pretty quick, but I always feel just rundown while on it. And it makes my piss darker and stinkier lol.
I did a full month of it back in 06 and lost about 22 pounds in a month and kept 18 of them off.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
How much weight you lose in ketosis completely depends upon your toal caloric load. (Total caloric intake - Total caloric expenditure) I believe the only difference in the weight lost in a keto diet vs a standard calorie deficit diet is that in a keto diet you can lose more pure fat faster, w/out losing muscle mass. If you feel rundown on a keto diet, try upping your fats and maybe add some stimulants.

GnastyMcNasty

Awards
  • Established
So you guys recommend taking ALA to get INTO ketosis, not just during the carb up?

Violator4200

Awards
Im on the CKD diet too and take glycobol with my last refeed meal and the next 2 days and always work out mondays. The diet is working great just slowly it seems...but my metabolism sucks