Realistic cutting time table?

dpfisher

I've been lifting for a couple years but I've never cut fat very low because I was always trying to put on muscle. I just try to keep from gaining fat and cut for short periods of time when I do.

I'm 5'7 and about 170 even right now. An optimistic estimate would be that the lowest BF% I've ever been at was about 14%, but I am probably higher than that now. My cheapo scale says 19% but I'm pretty sure I'm closer to 16% right now.

Anyway, I know it's variable but say I want to get cut for the summer. When should I stop bulking and start cutting? I eat clean except maybe 1 meal a week, and I'm not opposed to devoting some extra time on top of normal workouts to this. I ask because I assume that although I can cut fat quickly at some point it gets much more difficult.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've been lifting for a couple years but I've never cut fat very low because I was always trying to put on muscle. I just try to keep from gaining fat and cut for short periods of time when I do.

I'm 5'7 and about 170 even right now. An optimistic estimate would be that the lowest BF% I've ever been at was about 14%, but I am probably higher than that now. My cheapo scale says 19% but I'm pretty sure I'm closer to 16% right now.

Anyway, I know it's variable but say I want to get cut for the summer. When should I stop bulking and start cutting? I eat clean except maybe 1 meal a week, and I'm not opposed to devoting some extra time on top of normal workouts to this. I ask because I assume that although I can cut fat quickly at some point it gets much more difficult.
No time is better than now my friend. Better to go ahead and get it out of the way during the last part of winter. This of course will also make it easier on yourself and you wont sacrifice too much muscle mass.

dpfisher

I can do that... I've just always heard that it's so much harder to build muscle at <10%bf than at 15% so I wanted to wait as long as possible. Is this not really true?

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can do that... I've just always heard that it's so much harder to build muscle at <10%bf than at 15% so I wanted to wait as long as possible. Is this not really true?

From what ive read and gathered and also seen from my own eyes this is true. Unless you have someone who just stays lean no matter what they eat. Still though unless they are on anabolics its hard for them to put on any significant weight unless they have no problems shoveling down food. So yes it is easir to gain weight at 15% then it would be at 10 or below.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
The leaner you get, the more favorably your body will respond to an increase in calories.. This is due, in part, to increased insulin sensitivity..

Saying goes like this - "get lean, then get huge!"

darkshadow

Awards
I think I have only been down to 10% maybe one time lol I usually hover around 12 and I have no problem gaining muscle

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The leaner you get, the more favorably your body will respond to an increase in calories.. This is due, in part, to increased insulin sensitivity..

Saying goes like this - "get lean, then get huge!"
Right. Also, I always thought that hormones were elevated at certain levels of BF%. Then at higher levels, they were blunted, because of the BF%.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Right. Also, I always thought that hormones were elevated at certain levels of BF%. Then at higher levels, they were blunted, because of the BF%.
I believe you're right. In obese men, if I recall correctly, their endogenous estrogen levels are significantly higher due to their bf%, and thus, their endo testosterone levels are super low.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
i have a lot to say about this subject, you are probably my mirror image.

the # of months you have before summer is certainly enough to get to 10% given average genetics and a lot of hardwork.

however, once you are at 10%, depending on how you distribute fat, you may realize you want 8% and that could potentially take longer than you have before summer.

what I noticed from my own long cut, which is almost 4-5 months now, is that the longer you stay on it, even without changing your macros, your calories, etc. the better you look, even though in theory you shoudln't be losing fat, i think of it as your body coming into its own... i believe there's a difference between the results of the CKD people, and their "crash-like" diets, and people who take a long time to cut down. I believe with time you create your new set point, and really grow into that look.

moreover, it's been shown that if you eat right and stay lean for a long period of time, your leptin resistance goes down. and flip side, the longer you are fat, the more resistant you are.. you want to be as leptin sensitive as possible..

also, the question of building muscle at lower bodyfats. i don't see much difference. I'm at the lowest i've ever been and I feel absolutely great. My workouts are awesome, and I look bigger than ever, but of course not as strong as when i was 20lbs heavier.. doesn't matter tho, it's an illusion.

you also ahve to recall that once you cut down, your metabolism shifts. You don't keep your 180lb metabolic rate, you have a brand new one. So when you want to re-bulk you don't need nearly as much nutrition to support that.

dpfisher

Yeah pinch I read your thread, you got some amazing results. I'll probably do something similar although there's no way I would take as many supplements as you were at one time. I'm thinking pslin for carb meals and high dose prime to combat strength loss along with my regular BCAA intake will be about it. I'll take everyone's advice and I'll probably get started in the next couple weeks.

dpfisher

16% look about right, or too optimistic? All I have working right now is my laptop webcam so excuse the lighting. No way to get pics of my legs plus I doubt anybody wants to see my pale hairy legs anway! They are perhaps a bit large compared to the rest of my body since I used to mountain bike but nothing ridiculously disproportionate.

Unflexed pics below.

darkshadow

Awards
my guess would be close enough to 16, but hey Im no expert

faaipdeoiad

faaipdeoiad

Awards
ive actually been cutting (in a relative sense of the term) for almost a year now. i go through stages which hover somewhere around my maintenence calories. i try not to drop too low as i tend to lose muscle fairly quick as well. one thing ive noticed though is that it does seem like i mantain what i have much easier than the people on "crash diets" as pinchharmonic put it. i would definately agree with this. even when i fluctuate weight i always come back pretty quick. in addition i have not only not lost strength but im still gaining. if ur anything like me i would reccommend taking the slow approach as well. start with a recomp and just slowly add things in, more cardio, less calories, less carbs, new supps, etc. i did this for a while and then a few times would up my calories to just a couple hundred over maintenence for a couple weeks then continue. just a suggestion, cuttings always been a trouble area for me, but everyone responds differently.