Please critique my diet for fat loss

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
Alright, so for the past two weeks I have arranged a diet closely to a keto diet, I would actually go as far to say that it indeed is a ketogenic diet. I am about 6'2", 185lbs, hovering around 16-18% BF according to the electronic handheld BF device at my school. Daily I take between 2600-3000cals, depending on how hard I hit the weights and cardio. Since I am low-carbing and looking for maximum fat loss, my ratio is as followed, 65F/30P/5C; and literally the carbs come in traces from meat, veggies, peanut butter, whey, nuts, and flaxmeal.

Typically I shoot for 185-200g of protein, 187g of fat, and 32.5g of carbs. Now the amount I got for fat and carbs was based on 2600cals, protein is 195g for 2600cals. I don't believe a decrease of 10g or an increase of 5g would make a drastic difference, correct me if I'm wrong. I am seeing pretty decent gradual changes in body composition when I hover between 2600-2700cals/day. Since I have my diet locked, I just want a critique in the timing of my meals which I feel might need some help, if not, please let me know as well.

600am - Wake up, take 2 caps Recreate, plus 1 dose Super Cissus Rx

Meal 1 (around 0730am) - 5 whole eggs, 2 scoops of whey (27g), 1 tblsp flaxmeal (26.5g F, 57g P)

Meal 2 (around 1030am)- 8-12oz 73/27 ground chuck (60-90g F, 38-57g P)

Workout at 0130pm, take 1 cap Recreate and 1 scoop Ragnarok at 1230pm

Meal 3 - PWO shake (4 scoops of whey totaling 54g protein)

Meal 4 - Either 8oz 73/27 ground chuck with veggies or 4-10oz chicken breast topped with 30g sesame oil with veggies (60gF/38gP or 22-55gP)

Meal 5 - Same as Meal 4 plus an avocado (ranging from 20-32gF depending on weight)

Meal 6 - if necessary 2 tblsp peanut butter

Thats a typical rundown, and usually I add 1 sausage to Meal 1 containg 25F and 14P but haven't had the time to pick up some. For this rundown fat grams come out to 201.5g minus the peanut butter. Add in the peanut butter you get 217.5g. Now sometimes during class I get hungry so I snack on almonds, can't configure how much but usually a handful, so I'd say around 3-4oz equaling 42-56gF and 18-24gP.

If you had the almonds you get an overall fat intake of 250.5g minus the peanut butter, add the PB you get 266.6 equaling to 2398.5cals from fat which gives me a percentage of 79%. Would you say this is too drastic for fat loss and might accumulate negatively rather than beneficially? I do cardio 5x a week, 3x LIT, 2x HIT. Some concerns I have are taking in too much fat in one meal sitting, most being 90g from 12oz of 73/27 ground chuck. But honestly literally two hours after meal 1, I am STARVING. With the way I workout, my metabolism has just been skyrocketed, I seriously have to eat every 2.5 hours, anything more and I seriously feel like I'm in famine.

Protein comes out to 225g minus the nuts and PB. So as you can see my protein intake is well above 185-195g. I am really striving for muscle sparing here but fat loss is #1 while gaining muscle is secondary. Although I have increased on deads, flat and incline bench. Again any help is greatly appreciated (timing, caloric intake, specific macro intake, etc) BTW carbs come out to 13 + however many carbs come in a bunch of spinach, broccoli, and celery. I'm almost sure its under 32.5, but if not I don't believe it would leave me out of ketosis for too long.

I apologize for the long read but I feel like I've covered pretty much everything, which is necessary when asked to critique. Again, thank you, cheers.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alright, so for the past two weeks I have arranged a diet closely to a keto diet, I would actually go as far to say that it indeed is a ketogenic diet. I am about 6'2", 185lbs, hovering around 16-18% BF according to the electronic handheld BF device at my school. Daily I take between 2600-3000cals, depending on how hard I hit the weights and cardio. Since I am low-carbing and looking for maximum fat loss, my ratio is as followed, 65F/30P/5C; and literally the carbs come in traces from meat, veggies, peanut butter, whey, nuts, and flaxmeal.

Typically I shoot for 185-200g of protein, 187g of fat, and 32.5g of carbs. Now the amount I got for fat and carbs was based on 2600cals, protein is 195g for 2600cals. I don't believe a decrease of 10g or an increase of 5g would make a drastic difference, correct me if I'm wrong. I am seeing pretty decent gradual changes in body composition when I hover between 2600-2700cals/day. Since I have my diet locked, I just want a critique in the timing of my meals which I feel might need some help, if not, please let me know as well.

600am - Wake up, take 2 caps Recreate, plus 1 dose Super Cissus Rx

Meal 1 (around 0730am) - 5 whole eggs, 2 scoops of whey (27g), 1 tblsp flaxmeal (26.5g F, 57g P)

Meal 2 (around 1030am)- 8-12oz 73/27 ground chuck (60-90g F, 38-57g P)

Workout at 0130pm, take 1 cap Recreate and 1 scoop Ragnarok at 1230pm

Meal 3 - PWO shake (4 scoops of whey totaling 54g protein)

Meal 4 - Either 8oz 73/27 ground chuck with veggies or 4-10oz chicken breast topped with 30g sesame oil with veggies (60gF/38gP or 22-55gP)

Meal 5 - Same as Meal 4 plus an avocado (ranging from 20-32gF depending on weight)

Meal 6 - if necessary 2 tblsp peanut butter

Thats a typical rundown, and usually I add 1 sausage to Meal 1 containg 25F and 14P but haven't had the time to pick up some. For this rundown fat grams come out to 201.5g minus the peanut butter. Add in the peanut butter you get 217.5g. Now sometimes during class I get hungry so I snack on almonds, can't configure how much but usually a handful, so I'd say around 3-4oz equaling 42-56gF and 18-24gP.

If you had the almonds you get an overall fat intake of 250.5g minus the peanut butter, add the PB you get 266.6 equaling to 2398.5cals from fat which gives me a percentage of 79%. Would you say this is too drastic for fat loss and might accumulate negatively rather than beneficially? I do cardio 5x a week, 3x LIT, 2x HIT. Some concerns I have are taking in too much fat in one meal sitting, most being 90g from 12oz of 73/27 ground chuck. But honestly literally two hours after meal 1, I am STARVING. With the way I workout, my metabolism has just been skyrocketed, I seriously have to eat every 2.5 hours, anything more and I seriously feel like I'm in famine.

Protein comes out to 225g minus the nuts and PB. So as you can see my protein intake is well above 185-195g. I am really striving for muscle sparing here but fat loss is #1 while gaining muscle is secondary. Although I have increased on deads, flat and incline bench. Again any help is greatly appreciated (timing, caloric intake, specific macro intake, etc) BTW carbs come out to 13 + however many carbs come in a bunch of spinach, broccoli, and celery. I'm almost sure its under 32.5, but if not I don't believe it would leave me out of ketosis for too long.

I apologize for the long read but I feel like I've covered pretty much everything, which is necessary when asked to critique. Again, thank you, cheers.

personally 73/27 is borderline sausage to me I like my meat lean, for me I go 85/15 then I cook it on a george foreman. But im in the same boat as you, with in 2 hours or so im literally starving, but I think its the metabolism gobbling it all up. Which I think is good thing. Im getting most of carbs from veggies as well. although you may want to think about subbing in some oatmeal, or whole wheat bread for a day or two because direct source grains and carbs can be good for you.

But im highly interested in the responses you get since my diet is VERY similar to yours. I think youre eating about 300 - 500 cals more than me tho.

anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/115317-my-log-weight.html
Heres my diet as an fyi, or what ive been eating for the past few days could give you some ideas or something.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
you may want to lower your protein intake...

If you look at the ketogenic diets, unless you are seriously crazy lifting hard and doing other endurance and hard exercise then .8g/lb is enough with 1g/lb as a maximum. The problem with that is gluconeogenesis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis
Gluconeogenesis (abreviated GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as lactate, glycerol, and glucogenic amino acids.
if you aren't reaching ketosis because of above necessary protein intake, you may as well just eat the carbs - all of your body comp changes are coming from caloric level.

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
p00ndawg, im using 73/27 ground beef because 1) it's 30gF 19gP per. 4 oz, to me seems like a reasonably good ratio for keto. But i was considering getting 80/20 instead, it's just a little more which is why I stuck with 73/27. Around $5.00 for 3lbs and around $8 for 5lbs. I just got 5lber for $6 the other day! Gotta love Super Walmart's sales. Honestly Super Walmart and WinCo Foods is the only place I shop, sometimes Costco. And I'm also taking flaxmeal, several tblsps a day besides in the morning, so I feel I got a direct source right there with all the carbs being fiber. Add the carbs from nuts, still feel I need more carbs?

EasyEJL, thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna go ahead and go to some of the health food stores and see if they got keto stix, perfect way for me to keep intact. And ya I am lifting pretty hard bro. 5x a week, hitting every body part once a week. But I've been thinking about hitting Incline Bench 2x and Traps 2x plus abs 3-4x. Chest and traps have been a problem area of mine for a while now and I'm seeing some good improvements doing cleans everyday. Also incorporating barbell lunges 2x a week and thinking of adding squats 2x a week as well, both of those including the leg day. Glutes have been the biggest problem for me and I'm determined to tighten them up.

BTW EasyEJL, you say that body recomp. is coming from caloric level. You don't feel that the change in my macros as anything to do with it? Would you feel if took in 40C/40P/20F in a -500 caloric intake, I would achieve similar results? I seriously felt like doing this before I started this keto diet but I was afraid that fat loss might've been slower and I really want to shed BF. I have Anabolic Pump for refeeds, but so far I have not had a refeed. How often do you feel refeeds are necessary within a Keto diet?

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
p00ndawg, im using 73/27 ground beef because 1) it's 30gF 19gP per. 4 oz, to me seems like a reasonably good ratio for keto. But i was considering getting 80/20 instead, it's just a little more which is why I stuck with 73/27. Around $5.00 for 3lbs and around $8 for 5lbs. I just got 5lber for $6 the other day! Gotta love Super Walmart's sales. Honestly Super Walmart and WinCo Foods is the only place I shop, sometimes Costco. And I'm also taking flaxmeal, several tblsps a day besides in the morning, so I feel I got a direct source right there with all the carbs being fiber. Add the carbs from nuts, still feel I need more carbs?

EasyEJL, thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna go ahead and go to some of the health food stores and see if they got keto stix, perfect way for me to keep intact. And ya I am lifting pretty hard bro. 5x a week, hitting every body part once a week. But I've been thinking about hitting Incline Bench 2x and Traps 2x plus abs 3-4x. Chest and traps have been a problem area of mine for a while now and I'm seeing some good improvements doing cleans everyday. Also incorporating barbell lunges 2x a week and thinking of adding squats 2x a week as well, both of those including the leg day. Glutes have been the biggest problem for me and I'm determined to tighten them up.

BTW EasyEJL, you say that body recomp. is coming from caloric level. You don't feel that the change in my macros as anything to do with it? Would you feel if took in 40C/40P/20F in a -500 caloric intake, I would achieve similar results? I seriously felt like doing this before I started this keto diet but I was afraid that fat loss might've been slower and I really want to shed BF. I have Anabolic Pump for refeeds, but so far I have not had a refeed. How often do you feel refeeds are necessary within a Keto diet?
ahh I see, I may have to try it out then. Although I use the george foreman so i would probably still take out alot of the fat.

Naw your carb intake is pretty good but id suggest just changing up where you get the carbs from everyonce in a while. And maybe even trying like going a real lean meat one week, like 97/3 and getting your fat from fish oil or something.

just a suggestion here, your diet is good tho.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
you can get keto sticks at any walgreens or other pharmacy, they have them for diabetics.

I'm guessing you would see pretty similar results as I'm not quite sure you are in ketosis, or you might even be bobbing in and out of it. If you clip protein down a little and have it hit a max of 1g/lb you probably are more likely to go in... that extra 40+g worth on top of the trace etc carbs is likely keeping you at a spot too high to start keto (even if it would likely be ok once you had already gone into ketosis) It was a mistake i made a while back as I hated eating that much fat so instead i ended up with 300g of protein thru fish etc and never went into ketosis.

Really depending on what you do in terms of cardio and/or endurance related sports it really varies on refeeds. with a lot of cardio or long distance running/biking i've seen some people do refeeds every 4-5 days. And then i've seen other people go 2 weeks between refeeds. So I think you'll have to play with it some to see how long you can go. A week is usually good as it lets you plan for a weekend refeed so you can have a socialble meal with other people.

I've also tried a TKD, where you have carbs only pre and/or post workout, and no actual refeeds. the body tends to go back into ketosis fast that way since its still a small amount (25-30g) each time. the hard part with that is that you have to go almost totally carb free at first to get into keto before you start doing that particularly if you workout 4-5 days a week

F355

F355

Awards
  • Established
p00n, again you're absolutely right, I can def. go leaner. I don't think you understand how EASY it is to get my daily fat intake from 73/27. Ground beef has really helped me with my overall intake. Seriously, I dare you to try out 73/27 for a week and see how easy it is lmao. But seeing as how easy it is, I'm going to go ahead and bump it up to 80/20 after the rest of my 73/27 is done. I still have eggs, almonds, avocados, sesame oil, olive oil, flax, cheese, sausage, etc. Other carb sources, hhhmm, I'm thinking 1 scoop of Kwick Karbs with my PWO. You think that'll kick me out? Maybe I'll take it pre-workout with my Ragnarok therefore I can burn it off during the workout.

EasyEJL, didn't think about that, much easier to go to a pharmacy. LMAO 300g! I've taken 300g of fat on keto but damn never 300g of protein, at least not as far as I remember. For me, I'm doing a keto diet, I always keep the fat intake HIGHER than the protein intake, unless of course I am 300 pounds. But fck I could imagine some definite gluconeogenesis coming through with that. And ya I'm going to take you're advice and bump it down 195-200gP max. I think we can both agree this should sufficient enough for muscle recovery. As far as refeeds go, I think I'm going to go for as long as I can. I've heard of people doing ketogenic diets for as long as 6 months! Personally I can handle it, I enjoy eating nothing but meats and veggies but nothing also beats a big ole plate of spaghetti and meat sauce. TKD, I'm not sure if I want to practice that just yet, I'm going to incorporate that type of diet when I build more muscle mass. BTW, how do you feel about BCAAs during workouts? Think they can kick me out? I've been thinking about getting Purple Wraath after I get done with Ragnarok, hell I might get it even before it finishes. The lack of carbs has really effected my energy levels. I have Recreate but do not want to be mega dosing it as I'm afraid of negative feedbacks; tolerance, withdrawal, cortisol, etc. I just want something for endurance, specifically muscle endurance. Again, I'd rather not take 2 servings of Ragnarok as I'd like to run it out with it's full servings. But Purple Wraath sounds like something that can really aid me in workouts.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I think you'd be better off with just leucine rather than BCAAs. leucine is the only one that doesn't go into gluconeogenesis, so it can't kick you out of ketosis. And workout time is precisely when you want to be in ketosis - as that is when you are burning the most ketones for fuel.