Bioterrorism Legislation and Protein

M

MadChild

Awards
I'm heading down to Mexico this Christmas, going from Canada to Seattle and then to Mexico. I took this trip last May and brought down some egg protein and a bunch of dry oatmeal with me.

This time, (on December 11th) there's going to be a bioterrorism bill passed that will require all food to be inspected. Does anyone have any details on this regarding small, personal amounts of protein?

M

MadChild

Awards
Now I'll have to answer my own question. Thanks for the help guys. :)

From the US Customs website:

If you intend to mail or ship store-bought candies, chocolates, canned goods, etc. from Canada or other foreign countries to the U.S., the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a regulation that requires shippers to file prior notice with the FDA. This requirement is effective as of December 12, 2003, although goods without a prior notice confirmation number will not be denied entry for at least 6-8 months from that date while Customs and Border Protection conducts an information campaign about the requirements.

When filing prior notice, you will be asked to provide the following:

-The identity of the article, which includes the FDA product code (if known), common name, trade or brand name, quantity, etc.

-The manufacturer, shipper, or growers' name and address, e-mail address, telephone and fax number (if known),

-The country from which the article originates and is shipped or mailed.

Additional information may be required if the goods are intended for commercial use in the United States.

We understand that many persons sending food to the U.S. may not know much of the required information. The FDA is accepting comments about their requirements. Please contact them at 301-827-0959.

When you file prior notice for a mail shipment, you will be given a PN satisfied number. If the goods are going to be sent via mail, the PN number should be provided at the time of mailing. If the goods are being sent via rail or air, prior notice must be filed and satisfied 4-hours prior to the goods arrival in the U.S. If the goods are being sent via vessel, prior notice must be filed and satisfied 8-hours prior to the goods arrival in the U.S. Prior notice can be submitted via the FDA Web Portal or via fax. If the sender of the goods does not have access to the Internet or a Fax Machine, the intended recipient can file PN for you and provide you with the PN number to put on the shipping documents. For additional information on the Bio-Terrorism Preparedness and Response Act regulations and prior notice requirements, please contact the Food and Drug Administration 1-800-216-7331, if outside the U.S. call (301) 575-0156.

Over the next 6-8 months, CBP will be conducting outreach to inform exporters to the U.S. of the new requirements, and during this period of time, only goods that do not comply with admissibility requirements for meat, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc. will be refused entry. Please see the Q&As about admissibility requirements under the topic "Requirements for Importing Certain Goods."

Homemade goods sent as personal gifts are exempt from this requirement.

Travelers bringing food items with them for personal use into the U.S. are not required to file prior notice, although they must still declare them to a CBP officer.