Cardio After Weights...

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
how much cardio are you doing after your w/o?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Suck it up fatty :). 20 minutes of cardio does wonders after a workout.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
just 15-20 min. Starting the recomp on Monday!

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I lost 50 pounds doing cardio BEFORE my weight workouts.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I like cardio after, it gives me a chance to fee like I burn calories, I don't feel that as much as I'm lifting

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
I am doing 30 min after EVERY workout at about 3.0-3.3 at 15% incline.....uhggggg rough!!!
I've read a lot of posts of others doing this after workouts... ie walking at HIGH incline??? I dont know how long my calves would hold out on this... but... where does it get your heart rate?

I was thinking more light jogging / cycling to get into the 60% MHR range

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel ya bro, i can literaly feel my pump leave, but i suck it up for teh sekcynezzz :dance:

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've read a lot of posts of others doing this after workouts... ie walking at HIGH incline??? I dont know how long my calves would hold out on this... but... where does it get your heart rate?

I was thinking more light jogging / cycling to get into the 60% MHR range
I don't work my calves directly so this helps them for me but honestly I never feel them fatigue quickly or anything. In 30 min I burn around 400+ kcals at 3.0-3.2 and my heart rate is usually in the 60-70% range. It doesn't seem hard but you are sweating like crazy after.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I will take my post w/o drink after i'm done lifting and the go on the treadmill for 7-10 minutes at close to this 3.0-3.3 at 15% incline and i get a good sweat in that short period of time, although lately i have not been doing this b/c my workouts are taking longer with my partner and I'm sad to say that I'm putting on weight in the wrong places!

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i just do straight HITT after my weights that way only takes about 15min I keep my HR at approx 80-85% max and I'm still pumped when i'm done.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I feel like doing cardio after weights does more, because all of your muscle fibers are activated. Also, it takes something like 15-18 minutes of cardio to even get to the point where you are burning fat. I feel like weights gets that out of the way and I can get to the fat burning!

Whoever said that the pump has to subside sooner or later is right. I have never been one to hold my pump for very long anyway.

I like to start my workout with 5 min of walking on incline. Gets me warmed up. I do know a guy who gets up in the morning and does 20 min of fasted walking on incline. He says it make a world of difference when cutting.

I feel like doing any other time besides cutting might be a quick way to waste away muscle mass.

UniqueJustin

UniqueJustin

Awards
  • Established
i just do straight HITT after my weights that way only takes about 15min I keep my HR at approx 80-85% max and I'm still pumped when i'm done.

Amen...im at 20 mins of HIIT...its great when ur done with ur workout.....makes u wanna die, but u look great :)

dexterford

Awards
would anyone have a link to an article that cites studies re: cardio after weight-lifting?

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
would anyone have a link to an article that cites studies re: cardio after weight-lifting?
Not I. Google it I guess. The majority here seems to think it is beneficial as far as burning fat goes. You can check it out for yourself though... If you do happen to find a good one, post it up!

mdgrwl

Awards
One thing that nobody ever mentions is the fat burning your doing when OFF the treadmill. You burn more fat throughout the day in a rested like state. With that said, I'm of the mindset that the absolute best thing to do is HIIT for 10-12 minutes after weights. Run your hardest/fastest and suck it up. You'll get your heart rate up and throughout the day burn more fat.
I just don't see how a 3.0-3.5mph walk, even incline is going to have that great an effect as compared to HIIT. Keep in mind all, you burn more fat off the treadmill then on. Now go run and get that heart rate up!

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
One thing that nobody ever mentions is the fat burning your doing when OFF the treadmill. You burn more fat throughout the day in a rested like state. With that said, I'm of the mindset that the absolute best thing to do is HIIT for 10-12 minutes after weights. Run your hardest/fastest and suck it up. You'll get your heart rate up and throughout the day burn more fat.
I just don't see how a 3.0-3.5mph walk, even incline is going to have that great an effect as compared to HIIT. Keep in mind all, you burn more fat off the treadmill then on. Now go run and get that heart rate up!
Walking on incline is HARD! I know a guy, and that is all the cardio he does. He competes, and diets down to about 3-4% for shows. I have done it in the past and can attest that it is more difficult than you think.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
You burn more fat...... Now go run and get that heart rate up!
You WILL burn muscle doing HIIT if you are dieting and are severly calorie restricted. If you're on no carbs... forget about it. HIIT is asking for trouble in my opinion, UNLESS you are solely looking for fat burning effects and do not mind some muscle mass loss.

Brother

Brother

Awards
**** bro...jump rope for 5 X 3 min rounds... you wanna get some HITT training...you jump rope with weighted handles for 5 X 3 min round and you can get your heart rate up fast. To really turn it up go full on the last 30 sec of each round. I gaurentee by round 5 you'll be sweating balls.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
I know I'm going to get flamed for this post, but I have to say it's a bit strange hearing 7 min treadmill sessions refered to as cardio.

Do you do longer cardio on off days?

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
Eh, I have started it. Been on Havoc though and I think that has helped me prevent a lot of fat gain. 15 - 25 min usually......I use the arc machine. I love that thing.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Eh, I have started it. Been on Havoc though and I think that has helped me prevent a lot of fat gain. 15 - 25 min usually......I use the arc machine. I love that thing.
Yeah I either use that or the elyptical (however you spell it). Depends on how close to leg day it is! :/

mdgrwl

Awards
Walking on incline is HARD! I know a guy, and that is all the cardio he does. He competes, and diets down to about 3-4% for shows. I have done it in the past and can attest that it is more difficult than you think.
hard? sure? harder then sprinting your all out for 1 minute, with 1 minute at 5mph jog, then 1 minute all out sprint, continued for 12-15 minutes... yeah, uh, no. no comparrison.

walking is for people that don't want o man up and sprint at 11/12mph for a minute

mdgrwl

Awards
You WILL burn muscle doing HIIT if you are dieting and are severly calorie restricted. If you're on no carbs... forget about it. HIIT is asking for trouble in my opinion, UNLESS you are solely looking for fat burning effects and do not mind some muscle mass loss.
thats why you only do it for 10-15 minutes

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
hard? sure? harder then sprinting your all out for 1 minute, with 1 minute at 5mph jog, then 1 minute all out sprint, continued for 12-15 minutes... yeah, uh, no. no comparrison.

walking is for people that don't want o man up and sprint at 11/12mph for a minute

as if... maybe the treadmills you have dont go up on high inclines.. that... and a fast enough speed, give it time, walk properly (yes u can cheat) and your calves will burn like ****... its not that easy

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
I have to say: if you can't do at least 20-30 min at about heart rate 160 then as much muscle you may have, you are a pussy. Whether you are doing fasted cardio, or normal cardio before or after your weight session, it only takes dealing with the boredom and that's it. Ellipticals and treadmills and the such are not "hard" compared to say benching 225 8 times. Suck it up men, it is good for you.

If you can barely walk at 3.5 mph at even the highest incline for 30-45 min then you need to shape up. Yes it will get your sweat on, but jesus it is not all about slinging some iron and then sitting down and reading a magazine between sets.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I don't do the same "quick cardio" after lifting, some days I do elliptical, some are incline treadmill, and others are stationary bike. Sometimes I don't use any machines and pop in my P90X cardio or plyometrics DVD. Sometimes my cardio is fasted in the morning, sometimes after lifting, it all depends on my schedule for the day and how I feel.

I don't have any scientific proof about one being better than the other. I think so long as you're doing something about your body fat (if that is the reason for the cardio) the scale and mirror will tell you if it is working or not.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
I have to say: if you can't do at least 20-30 min at about heart rate 160 then as much muscle you may have, you are a pussy. Whether you are doing fasted cardio, or normal cardio before or after your weight session, it only takes dealing with the boredom and that's it. Ellipticals and treadmills and the such are not "hard" compared to say benching 225 8 times. Suck it up men, it is good for you.

If you can barely walk at 3.5 mph at even the highest incline for 30-45 min then you need to shape up. Yes it will get your sweat on, but jesus it is not all about slinging some iron and then sitting down and reading a magazine between sets.
Amen brother.

Boyders

Boyders

Awards
  • Established
I apologize if I offended anyone, I was drunk foruming

mdgrwl

Awards
as if... maybe the treadmills you have dont go up on high inclines.. that... and a fast enough speed, give it time, walk properly (yes u can cheat) and your calves will burn like ****... its not that easy
...yeah, but are we getting on a treadmill for cardio... for getting our heart rate up and burning fat... or are we looking for calve developement?

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
...yeah, but are we getting on a treadmill for cardio... for getting our heart rate up and burning fat... or are we looking for calve developement?

walking on a incline can give you a great cardio workout, and can really help burn fat and keep you in ketosis. Long distance running can knock you out of it. Its obvious you've never done it long enough to see the great results you can get from it.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
you're trying to get cardio, it does get you breathing, but depending how high the incline is (15% for example)... i find its a bitch on the legs first at certain speeds

and yes, cardio is easy - its all about getting over the boredom... and the first 10mins are always the hardest, once ur into it and that 1 hour is up for example... ur gona be thinking "**** i can do more... and want too...."

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you're trying to get cardio, it does get you breathing, but depending how high the incline is (15% for example)... i find its a bitch on the legs first at certain speeds

and yes, cardio is easy - its all about getting over the boredom... and the first 10mins are always the hardest, once ur into it and that 1 hour is up for example... ur gona be thinking "**** i can do more... and want too...."

thats usually the point when you should stop, at that point your metabolism has lowered. When you get that feeling like man i could go on forever! usually a good time to wrap it up, unless you're going for distance.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i know but when i hit open nothing happens
You have to click the link, then a separate screen will open asking if you want to save the file, click yes and it'll open. At least that's what I did.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

It has nothing to do with manning up... I do not need to do that much cardio. Also, no one ever said it was harder than HIIT, but that it was hard in general.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Trying to walk @15 incline @ 3.5 speed is a biotch! No joke. I tried this yesterday and I got a side ache from hell and my legs were struggling before 5 minutes. My ass was busted. I even slowed the pace to 2.8.

Doing the SS program for an idea of my workout before attempting this..

I can do 45 min on a eliptical @ highest incline with a tension of 7 fairly easily. But after a hellish WO the tread mill just dominates me. But I'll get that fawker, I'll get it...

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
Trying to walk @15 incline @ 3.5 speed is a biotch! No joke. I tried this yesterday and I got a side ache from hell and my legs were struggling before 5 minutes. My ass was busted. I even slowed the pace to 2.8.

Doing the SS program for an idea of my workout before attempting this..

I can do 45 min on a eliptical @ highest incline with a tension of 7 fairly easily. But after a hellish WO the tread mill just dominates me. But I'll get that fawker, I'll get it...
walking at an incline works out your ass?