28 day Velocity Diet Log

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
So, I basically started lifting in high school along with a lot of basketball. I was in pretty good shape then, around 10-12% bf because I never tightened my diet too strict or tried the bodybuilder lifestyle. Now that I'm in my 5th year of college and ready to graduate, I figure its time to take off all this built-up fat from the last 5 years of unhealthy living.

For those of you unfamiliar with the velocity diet you can find it on t-nation.
I started the diet on Sunday, 1/18 and it will run until 2/15.

My stats when I started were:
6'1"
212 lbs
38" measured around my bellybutton

Here is my calorie breakdown:
274 Pro - 47 Fat - 16 Carb - 22 Fiber

I'm taking 6 whey/micellar casein 50:50 mix shakes a day, 2-3 hours apart
6 CLA ethyl ester caps from Primordial Performance
6 EFA caps with 410 EPA/240 DHA
2 Fiber Choice Tabs, Sugar free
4 Servings Hodgson's Milled Flax
1 Serving Trader Joe's Natural Cashew Butter

On workout days I consume 5g BCAA preworkout, a PWO shake with 50g WMS 10g BCAA and 25g whey about 20min later.

Supplements:
Beta-Alanine - 1.6g 3x/day
ALCAR - 1g 3x/day
Na-RALA - 200mg 3x/day
Coleus 20% - 100mg 3x/day
Gut Health - 1 cap/day
EGCG - 500mg 2x/day

So far, I'm feeling great. I have more energy than I've ever had. I just started a new semester and haven't been sleeping as much as I should but I still don't even yawn throughout the day.

The only thing I've noticed is that I find it harder to actually fall asleep. It could be from school or the diet, not sure which. I'll also be logging my workouts and giving a general mood/energy report each day. I'll log my weight every sunday and pictures at the end of week 2 and 4.

Any comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, I did a 2 week stint on the v-diet at the beginning of Jan and it was very hard to stick to. Will be following the progress.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Day 5 completed. For the first time since I was 9 or 10 I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Weird. I go to the bathroom a ton more than usual. However, bowel movements are pretty much nonexistent. Two in the last 5 days versus a usual 1-2 a day. Makes sense from lack of any solid substance in my gut.

Swapped the cashew butter after 5 days for almond butter. Adds a gram of fiber over the cashew butter, 3 grams of fat, 3 grams protein and takes my carbs down to 9-10g. Also dropped the fish oil to 5 caps a day instead of the 6. Thats about the same EPA/DHA as 10 caps from NP bulk omega-3.

Cardio this morning was 25 minutes of 5% incline, 3.5 mph treadmill walking. Nothing interesting here.

Over the last 5 days, I've only had a headache one time during day two and it could have been caused by eye strain instead from driving for 6 hours that day. Other than that, I feel fantastic. Tons of energy. I'm not taking any caffeine or energy booster and I feel wide awake all day.

Tomorrow is solid meal day. I'm going to the store to pick up the ingredients tonight. Its going to be an omelet/skillet with:
Eggs, turkey, ham, broccoli, red peppers, swiss cheese, and black bean dip. MMMMM I'm super excited for this.

Later today comes my third weight session. I've kept it heavy weight, low rest periods (45-60sec), with compound exercises. I'm thinking about 3-4 sets of 4-6 reps of 4 different exercises so I'm in and out of the gym in 30 min or less. I'm going more for keeping my strength than for gaining it or gaining muscle size. I'm not a bodybuilder so I'll never lift like one.

Space

Space

Awards
  • Established
I'm in.

Good luck with the velocity diet! Are you following the instructions from T-nation and using flax seeds and fiber supplements? Because I think these parts of the diet are particularly important from a health standpoint.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I'm in.

Good luck with the velocity diet! Are you following the instructions from T-nation and using flax seeds and fiber supplements? Because I think these parts of the diet are particularly important from a health standpoint.
Yup, it was listed in my original post where I included my diet. The only thing different from their plan is I'm not using Biotest supps. No fat burner so far because my energy is still super high, and I've got a whey/micellar blend instead of their protein.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Today was my refeed meal and MMMM was it delicious. Even took a picture of it haha. Tomorrow is measurement/weigh in day and I'm pretty excited. Been doing the walks as suggested. Today it was 25 minutes around the track at one of the University facilities.

Tomorrow will also switch to a weight day for me, which will make it Sun, Tues, and Thurs which work better for my class schedule. I also think I'm going to swap the nut butter for actual nuts at night since I don't put them in to my shakes.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
After one full week on the diet, I'm down 9.1lbs and to 36.5 inches around my bellybutton down from 38".

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
After one full week on the diet, I'm down 9.1lbs and to 36.5 inches around my bellybutton down from 38".
Are you worried about extra skin at all when losing this fast? What about maintaining muscle?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Not worried about the extra skin, I don't really have more than 6 inches to lose around my waist.

Other things: I will be starting isometrics tonight with a device i got directions for from rossboxing.com. Will help keep strength up without sacrificing energy.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Cravings are terrible right now. My roommate has a bag of cookies and its taunting me. Also, I'd probably kill for a cheeseburger right now.

Space

Space

Awards
  • Established
Stay in there, you know what you signed up for when you decided to do the velocity insanity.

I'm watching you... :)

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Made it through the night. Doesn't mean I don't want some of them damn cookies! Haha. On a side note, did some shoulder press, row and chest press isometrics today. Worked 3-4 different joint angles for each, we'll see how this pans out in the long run.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Do your cravings not disappear after a day or two on low carb? i had my refeed yesterday and my appetite was shot to pieces i had to force feed everything down.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
The only time I have cravings are when I actually see or smell the food around me. Because I have roommates that don't care what they eat, I smell and see all kinds of stuff I shouldn't be eating.

LifeSize

Awards
Im planning to do a 4 week run, my lady friend plans to do 2 weeks on.. I'll be watching. Best of luck!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I really think this diet is best done for 4 weeks. The first week is adjusting and losing mostly water and glycogen, the second week is beating the cravings and supposedly the third and fourth week are supposed to be easier. I'll let you know how I do.

Woke up late this morning so no fasted walk. I'll have to make up for it by walking all over campus for my classes. Sucks when one class is a 15 minute walk from the other one, and I walk fast.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
So after reading a lot of stuff on CKD i'm thinking about adding in a carb up day. I'm worried that the excessive protein and low fat is putting my glucose too high still. Anyone have any good info on this? I'm worried that I'm going to be burning muscle on this.

Would a refeed/carb-up like they do on CKD help prevent this? I guess I'm just trying to toy with the whole idea and make my own plan.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Also, me and the gf are a little upset about the pretty much complete lack of libido.

LifeSize

Awards
on the velocity diet your one solid meal a week is your carb-up. For that one meal have oats, berries, and yogurt.. Like Chris suggests in the original write up.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
He suggests a solid meal for sanity, not one that necessarily includes carbs.

LifeSize

Awards
He suggests a solid meal for sanity, not one that necessarily includes carbs.
On the original write up he says one clean meal a week, preferably whole carbs since you get plenty of protein the rest of the day.

I wouldn't have whole oats though, I would kill a small 2 dollar box of cheerios, at least 4 bananas and a quart of skim milk.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
The bananas would have too much fructose which would reload the liver though, kind of defeating the purpose. If I did a carb-up wouldn't it be better to do high GI/simple sugars followed by some complex?

LifeSize

Awards
The bananas would have too much fructose which would reload the liver though, kind of defeating the purpose. If I did a carb-up wouldn't it be better to do high GI/simple sugars followed by some complex?
The fructose from bananas is different than say an orange or pineapple, much slower.

According to Chris - he uses blueberries not bananas.

One serving of fruit a week isn't going to reload the liver, let alone give you negative results on your diet.

I said cheerios and skim milk, not honey nut cheerios :p

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Tonight I'm going to be watching Penn vs GSP II and will be eating some enchiladas with rice and corn. I'll be putting up some pics tomorrow.

As a whole, I've felt pretty damn weak lately, well I guess more or less have less endurance. I pretty much expect it to be that way. Going to weigh myself and see how much I put on tonight.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
So I had a realization last night while thinking over the whole low carb stuff. I haven't been sore after any of my workouts. And its not that I haven't been pushing myself in my workouts either. I just haven't gotten sore from these. Not really sure if its just a coincidence or if its the protein or what. Anyone else notice reduced muscle soreness when on low carb diets?

As far as weight gain went after the carb up, I was up 6lbs from the meal and all the water I drank with my meal. Down 3.5 of those pounds the next morning.

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
i just figured id start this and am on day 3 going to run it for two weeks (maybe the full time), to get myself back on track after some crappy eating and super bowl deviations. its not that bad i just need to get some casein to bump up the calories on my shakes cause im a little low.

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, I did a 2 week stint on the v-diet at the beginning of Jan and it was very hard to stick to. Will be following the progress.
how did this workout for you? I am thinking of doing 2 weeks as well.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
UPDATES:
Been busy with school and my research so I haven’t really prioritized this log. But here goes anyways:
For the first two weeks, I felt very uninterested in sex, libido pretty much crashed. So last Friday I decided to switch the macros to include more fat. Well the numbers now are 237 Pro, 65 Fat, 23 Fiber and less than 15 other carbs/day. Puts me around 1600 calories and I have almost 400 on workout days.

Speaking of workouts, I haven’t lifted since last Thursday. The past 3 days I’ve been so exhaustedly tired that I just couldn’t get my ass to the gym. Besides, its cold in Wisconsin and walking 15 minutes in 10 degree weather while you’re dead tired in order to get more tired just isn’t my thing. I would like to attribute the lethargy to crashing from the DCP/LR combo. Before starting LR, I had maybe 100mg of caffeine a month. Now its up to 450 or something like that each day. I’m going to give it another day or two until I drop the LR. As far as weights go, I have actually added weight on some of the exercises. The only problem is, I seem to hit a wall about 2-3 reps short of what I usually am able to do. For example, 7, 8, 9 will be easy and then 10 my muscles just quit. I really miss being able to push through things with more intensity.

That brings me to my next point, although the fat is melting off, I don’t think I’m willing to trade that for a lack of a good workout. It just bugs me too much. I might stop the diet this Sunday. The diet itself is easy now. All the cravings are gone. It’s a big routine and I just go through the motions of drinking my shakes. I’ll have my girl take some pics either tomorrow morning or tonight before bed to get an idea of the change so far. My pants are now all loose, even in the butt where they’ve always been tight because I have a huge ass. The belt I wear now has to be used on the third hole, not the first. Quite a change. Also, my waist has dropped to 35.75 from 38” in less than 3 weeks. My abs are starting to poke through again which I’m excited about.

Something else I’ve changed is BCAA consumption. I now sip on BCAA water. 32oz water and 10g of BCAA 2xday along with 64 more oz of plain water. Overall I’m happy, but I’d really like to have the energy to work out like I would like to. So far the concentration hasn’t bothered me one bit. My graduate class on intermediary metabolism isn’t even giving me any trouble! My mood is back up and so is my libido. I have been feeling pretty anxious/stressed lately though, which might also be a result of the stims. Like I said before, I’m not used to stimulants so its really bothering me sometimes.

And I’ll leave you with a pic of my girl bagging up the protein for me :yup:

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
Nice update! So your three weeks in? What is your total weight loss in addition to the inches? Really good info reps to you sir!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Crap, I retyped that post 3 times due to accidentally hitting back and then again to a crashing computer so I forgot to list that. As of this morning, I was 200.1. I hadn't weighed myself until the day after starting the diet and I was 212-213.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I'm lurking the forums now, haha. I really suggest going the 4 full weeks though. If you have trouble, try having one low carb/carb free meal a day and the rest in shakes. I think the first 5lbs are water and glycogen at least. This needs to be an extended thing.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lack of carbs should theoretically effect strength. Fat oxidation is a richer form of energy for the body, but (type II) forceful contractions are optimally fueled by simple carbs. Currently, you and I are in the same boat. I'm not on Velocity, but all of my carbs are fibrous or exclusively Ezekiel bread. My strength has suffered a bit, but I'm working on it.

Out of curiosity, how many pounds are you anticipating to lose in 28 days?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to lose 3-5 more. So that would put me at 195 from 212 or 17lbs because I anticipate I'll gain some back when I reintroduce carbs from glycogen alone. When I'm back on carbs, I'd like to be a leaner 200. From there I'm going to try a slight recomp with some kind of cycle. Don't really want to add much more bulk, I like the lean over swole look. In all honesty, I was just disgusted with how I looked at 212, which was also more than I've ever weighed.

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
Lack of carbs should theoretically effect strength. Fat oxidation is a richer form of energy for the body, but (type II) forceful contractions are optimally fueled by simple carbs. Currently, you and I are in the same boat. I'm not on Velocity, but all of my carbs are fibrous or exclusively Ezekiel bread. My strength has suffered a bit, but I'm working on it.

Out of curiosity, how many pounds are you anticipating to lose in 28 days?
Before this I was doing the anabolic diet and didn't see any strength loss with that but rather increases. It will be interesting to see what happens with this diet. I'm still struggling to find that happy medium to keep my strength while shedding the excess weight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Before this I was doing the anabolic diet and didn't see any strength loss with that but rather increases. It will be interesting to see what happens with this diet. I'm still struggling to find that happy medium to keep my strength while shedding the excess weight.
If you were gaining strength while cutting on the anabolic diet, I don't see how much of a happier medium you'd want to find. That said, strength has greater implications of CNS efficiency then actual hypertrophy, (I'm not saying you didn't experience any hypertrophy). I can recomp well, lose weight and gain or at least maintain strength, but it's a much slower process then what I'm doing now.

I was as strong at 211lbs as I was at 230lbs, but I'm significantly weaker at 200, then I was at 211, but I went from Recomp into a pure cut and I switched my lifting intensities. Plenty of mediating variables to consider apart from diet alone I suppose.

Fasted Training with Anabolic Pump is all the rage these days for increased fat loss, but it has to be first thing in the morning while the body is still running purely off of mitochondrial fat oxidation. I can't recite the science or theories right now, but Mulletsoldier can if you're interested.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd like to lose 3-5 more. So that would put me at 195 from 212 or 17lbs because I anticipate I'll gain some back when I reintroduce carbs from glycogen alone. When I'm back on carbs, I'd like to be a leaner 200. From there I'm going to try a slight recomp with some kind of cycle. Don't really want to add much more bulk, I like the lean over swole look. In all honesty, I was just disgusted with how I looked at 212, which was also more than I've ever weighed.

I'm with you on the lean over swole, but lean and muscular, not Lance Armstrong cyclist lean.

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
If you were gaining strength while cutting on the anabolic diet, I don't see how much of a happier medium you'd want to find. That said, strength has greater implications of CNS efficiency then actual hypertrophy, (I'm not saying you didn't experience any hypertrophy). I can recomp well, lose weight and gain or at least maintain strength, but it's a much slower process then what I'm doing now.

I was as strong at 211lbs as I was at 230lbs, but I'm significantly weaker at 200, then I was at 211, but I went from Recomp into a pure cut and I switched my lifting intensities. Plenty of mediating variables to consider apart from diet alone I suppose.

Fasted Training with Anabolic Pump is all the rage these days for increased fat loss, but it has to be first thing in the morning while the body is still running purely off of mitochondrial fat oxidation. I can't recite the science or theories right now, but Mulletsoldier can if you're interested.

Oh I agree I was very happy with it but, the fat loss stopped so I was looking for something else to switch it up and then return to it. I loved my results on the Anabolic Diet and lost roughly 60 pounds but have been in a rut for months (if only it kept going). I'll take your word on the fasted training as I have heard many good things about it and just recently started to incorporate that into my training. I thank your for your intelligent input I am always willing to learn and take what people say and put it to good use!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Oh I agree I was very happy with it but, the fat loss stopped so I was looking for something else to switch it up and then return to it. I loved my results on the Anabolic Diet and lost roughly 60 pounds but have been in a rut for months (if only it kept going). I'll take your word on the fasted training as I have heard many good things about it and just recently started to incorporate that into my training. I thank your for your intelligent input I am always willing to learn and take what people say and put it to good use!
props on the losing 60lbs man. I can only imagine what that takes.

ticco

ticco

Awards
  • Established
Yea it sucked, I played football in college (d1-aa) then my school cut the program, so i switched to rugby, but kept eating like i was working out for football, combine that with boozing and its not a good outcome. blew my knee out and packed on the pounds, im lighter then my playing weight now and want to shed around 20-30 more.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established

Update: Weighed this morning at 199.5 about an hour after my first shake. Took some pics then had some lunch. Quinoa with a homemade cheese sauce from lactaid milk, little flour, 1.5 cups 2% cheese and a little bit of taco seasoning. Mixed in some chicken and bread crumbs and baked for 10 min to crust it. Delicious.

On to the pics:

Before/After

And I took a few without the flash because I felt like it washed it out a little bit, heres one:

Not perfect but getting closer to it. Off to get another tattoo and then I'll be hitting the weights. Got a PR for my deadlift on thursday so that was refreshing.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Any comments are appreciated.
Keep going, don't stop. You'll be much happier at the end. I did a short 4-5 week run on the V diet and it worked well for me - was not easy at first but I adjusted.
Keep taking pictures on a weekly basis even if you don't post them. Compare them and that will definitely keep you focused - it helped me a lot.

LOL I was posting this while you were posting the update - I can definitely see a difference, looking good!

Best of luck.
:bb2:

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I've decided to stick it out the last week. Not going to be one of those quitters. We'll see how this goes. Also, got another tattoo yesterday, enjoy:

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
good progress so far bro, keep it up! Maybe its wisconsin because i have almost the exact same fat deposits as you (fuxk i hate those lower back ones) and i live in WI as well... keep it up! As soon as i keep money to buy protein i will do this!

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
good progress so far bro, keep it up! Maybe its wisconsin because i have almost the exact same fat deposits as you (fuxk i hate those lower back ones) and i live in WI as well... keep it up! As soon as i keep money to buy protein i will do this!
Check out trueprotein for some good deals. Make 50/50 hydrolyzed whey/micellar casein mixes or even 50 HW/35 MC/15 milk isolate. You need about 15lbs total, maybe a bit more because you weigh a hair more than I did when I started. If you need any help figuring out calculations or anything like that let me know.