Dieting Help/Suggestions

SinisterK9

Awards
Hello all, I am obviously new here and this is my first post. I've been lurking around for a week or so getting myself acquainted with the forums. There's tons of great info.
I am not new to working out, or lifting. I've done so since I was about 15. Although I have never been as strict and systematic with it as I should. But in the last 4 years I have slacked off, and my metabolism is not as forgiving to my bad eating habits as it once was. So in December (around Xmas) I finally had enough. I was disgusted with what I let myself get to, so I started hitting the gym hard again.

Info:

29 yrs old.
6ft tall
On 1 Jan, I weighed in at 263lbs.

Since 1 Jan, I keep a daily record of all calories, carbs, fat, and protein. I further keep track of my workouts, and reasonably educated calorie expenditure resulting from same.

I lift and do cardio 6 days per week.
Even days: Chest, Upper Back, Legs, Abs-- 30-45 mins cardio
Odd days: Arms, Lower Back, Shoulders, Abs-- 30-45 mins cardio

I intake food approx 6 times per day. I keep a daily record, and a 7 day summary (daily average for the week). I only weigh in one day per week. I use the same scales, and weigh in at the same time.

My average consumption for the last three weeks is:
2017 cals
180 carbs
56 fat
160 protein
My weight today is 248 (Down from 263).

I take Fish Oil, and Protein daily (Syntha-6).

Any help or suggestions about tweeking my diet and supplements in relation to weight loss would be greatly appreciated. I am comfortable around 200, however, I am aiming for 180lbs.

Thanks.

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
I would definatley suggest increasing protein intake to around 250 for you. Protein 'burns hotter' as far as metabolism. Love the food journal right off the bat. Works awesome for me. Your carbs MAY be light i.m.o. Have you felt sluggish or tired lately? Seems like a pretty demanding workout schedule, but as you said you have experience and are young enough, etc. That's what the food journal is for anyway, to help us guage how we're feeling and make the necessary macro adjustments. You don't want to lose weight too fast, at the risk of losing lean muscle mass. Get a good multi for sure. I use Beverly's Super Pak. Cheaper, but effective version of the Animal Pak. I bounce around with whey/protein products, but my mainstay is Body Fortress. Yes, the cheap stuff. I've made incredible gains in one year, and that' s something I've alternated with since the beginning. It does have creatine mono in it, so factor that in accordingly if you're already supplementing with it, which you should be. Plain jane creatine monohydrate i.m.o. Knock em dead!

Andy G

Andy G

Awards
Also, adequate and consistent H2O intake. Possibly a gallon and a half a day. That is up for debate but with that kind of cardio and lifting schedule I think that's a good starting point. 8 hours sleep. Low or no carbs at night, cottage cheese or casein type shake before bed. 2-3 shakes a day max. Stretching, particularly between sets and at night. Adjust workouts according to how YOU FEEL. Watch for symptoms of overtraining.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
You seem like you're way low on calories to me. Like he said, bump the protein up to around 1gram/lb bodyweight. Do you have an online log of the food you eat? You should be getting healthy fats too like fish/flax oil and avoiding the saturated ones like fatty meat.

Eat lots of green veggies. There are many different views on carbs. Some people think keeping them low is the way to go, others think you need lots of complex carbs in the morning and taper them off to as little as possible at night.

SinisterK9

Awards
Thanks for the info thus far. Much appreciated.

As of now, I take in about 1 gallon of water per day. I take two multi vitamins per day (as suggested on the box), but it's just a Centrum Cardio multi. Should I switch to something like Animal Pak instead?

As far as food, I switch up what I eat slightly. But yesterday is a good example of my average day.

0630-0730- Mandatory squadron PT(twice a week) - Usually circuit/cardio, or a group sport for an hour.
0800- 4 Boiled Eggs
0915- Power Bar Harvest Grain
1000- One can black eyed peas (3.5 servings)
1115- One scoop Syntha 6 with 1 cup fat free milk
1200-1400- Daily lifting and cardio session (mentioned in first post)
1405- One scoop Syntha 6 with 1 cup fat free milk
1500- 4 oz skinless chicken breast, with 3/4 cup of mixed vegetables
1630- 4 oz skinless chicken breast, with 3/4 cup of green beans
1800- 4-8 oz. chicken or tuna with 1-2 cups of vegetables, and a salad with low fat Italian Dressing.

I do have one question about protein intake. I understand I need about 1-2g per lb of body weight. But if I am going for a target weight of 180, should I set my intake for my goal weight, or should I keep my intake with my current weight at the time?
Also, any hard numbers suggestions about where my cals, carbs, fat should be?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Try to eat more protein earlier in the day. You're up before 630 and you only have about 20-25 grams of protein in you until 11:15. Maybe have some protein or cottage cheese or something else with protein at the 915 or 10 meal. Otherwise, your diet seems pretty clean.

As far as target protein, I'd go with 1-2 for your current weight. When you lose weight, you adjust accordingly.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
higher protein amounts earlier in the day, and id add more carbs earlier in the day to give you more energy that slowly cancel them out for the rest of the day, you want to have energy to have the most possible intense workouts that you can have. like the clean diet, id have the cals a lil higher just seems like you must be a lil tired or sluggish through out the day doesnt seem like your getting enough energy but its your diet to critique so adjust according what works for you bud and good luck on your diet seems like you know what your doing

SinisterK9

Awards
Thanks MMA.
Any suggestions for caloric intake? A couple people have said that now. Do you guys suggest increasing it a couple hundred, or even more?

Also, with the Fish Oil I'm taking, how much is suggested for one day? I'm probably at about 2g right now.