Optimal time between carb ups

pitching101

pitching101

Awards
  • Established
I truly doubt the fact that carbing up every weekend is the optimal time between carb ups. I believe that was just put into place to make this diet easier to follow and more simple. So my question is what is the optimal amount of days between carb ups?

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
If you follow a strict CKD, meaning 20g or less of carbs each day, then I think one week is the optimal time. I believe you will simply be depleted of glycogen after 1 week, thus hindering your ability to finish your workouts if you delay the carb-up. You could always follow a 24-hour carb-up (which is what I'm doing), and basically give yourself an extra day in a ketogenic state. That, for me, is optimal.

3708grunt

Awards
The lack of carbs, 20 grams or less per day was great then comes the weekend carb up, this allowed me to loose 20 lbs. But this system after about 12 weeks, lost its ability to lose anymore weight. I found myself falling into a cycle where I would lose 4-5 lbs. thru the week, which I know was the body purging itself of bile and glycogyn, then comes the weekend carb up , back into the cycle. I almost feel that I have to extend this low carb into the weekend, with no relief. Got to the point where I look forward to the weekend carbup. Need pointers, ready to move to the Fatburners.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As bodyfat levels fall, especially to single digits, the carb signal has to get stronger in order to keep leptin levels optimal and metabolism running.

You will find the need for refeed frequency to increase.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
As bodyfat levels fall, especially to single digits, the carb signal has to get stronger in order to keep leptin levels optimal and metabolism running.

You will find the need for refeed frequency to increase.
So you think a guy in the low 20% bf could get away with every other week?

I just did my first carbup this last weekend (been on CKD 2 weeks, skipped 1st carbup), and had the best workout in months today.

3708grunt

Awards
My BF levels are still in the teens, even after 14 weeks, refeed only maintains BF levels , BF loss has shut down. Even after I brought my Good fats up weight didn't come down.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So you think a guy in the low 20% bf could get away with every other week?

I just did my first carbup this last weekend (been on CKD 2 weeks, skipped 1st carbup), and had the best workout in months today.
Depends on the amount of your restriction, and activity level. When I was at that range, I refed every 9 days or so.

Done right, you won't be in that range for long.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My BF levels are still in the teens, even after 14 weeks, refeed only maintains BF levels , BF loss has shut down. Even after I brought my Good fats up weight didn't come down.
Bodyfat loss usually shuts down because your body thinks you are in a time of famine, and tries to cling onto every ounce of possible fuel.

The refeed is to trick your body into thinking everything is hunky dory, and to go ahead and keep the furnace stoked.

3708grunt

Awards
OK I Lift 5 times a week, Cardio 4 times a week 20-30 mins. Activity level is good. Carbs is controled to 20 grams never more than 50 per day 5 days a week. Weekends I eat good, lots of Protein , Carbs up to 100-150 grams Fri Sat. So what would you consider being done right , I appreciate your feedback Thank you.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
OK I Lift 5 times a week, Cardio 4 times a week 20-30 mins. Activity level is good. Carbs is controled to 20 grams never more than 50 per day 5 days a week. Weekends I eat good, lots of Protein , Carbs up to 100-150 grams Fri Sat. So what would you consider being done right , I appreciate your feedback Thank you.

Too few carbs on the weekends. You need about 800g or maybe more during the re-feed.

3708grunt

Awards
Thats a hell of alot of Carbs, whats the body supposed to do with what it decides it doesn't want to use, right back to fat.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Too few carbs on the weekends. You need about 800g or maybe more during the re-feed.
I would have placed at around 650 over an 8-12 hour period...buit I agree he needs a much stronger refeed.

3708grunt

Awards
Apparently your in agreement with everything else, correct.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
I would have placed at around 650 over an 8-12 hour period...buit I agree he needs a much stronger refeed.

Yeah, a re-feed is usually 24+ hours, so it ends up being more than 800g, but basically, yes, he needs way more carb intake.

3708grunt

Awards
So your best Refeed uptake would consist Of what ,

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
So your best Refeed uptake would consist Of what ,

In my case, some fruit before the final workout, and after that, a lot of oatmeal with non-fat milk, a lot of cold cereal (Raisin Bran is my favorite), and some regular pasta or whole wheat pasta, white rice or brown rice, white bread or whole wheat bread, etc.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I get a little more "fun" with my refeeds..lol

I Hit up the waffles, pancakes, fruity pebbles(any kids cereal), granola bars, low fat pizza, and all sorts of delicious treats;)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Refeeds make the whole thing fun...

What's best is scarfing all kinds of crap down with abandon in a restaurant...then getting up to go to the bathroom with veins popping like flex conduit and my abs completely hard.

Really pisses the flabbies. off.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Refeeds make the whole thing fun...

What's best is scarfing all kinds of crap down with abandon in a restaurant...then getting up to go to the bathroom with veins popping like flex conduit and my abs completely hard.

Really pisses the flabbies. off.

So Matt, how long are/were your refeeds? 12-16 or the normal 36? Were you getting in 650 carbs total or in the first 12 hours?

I gotta admit, over 36 hours I ate about 1200 carbs (via Lyle's recommendation) but I totally felt like a glutton! Is there a better way of determining how many carbs to take in? I'm not sure I can do Lyle's method all the time...

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
try eating that, to double that in 12-14hrs..lol

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So Matt, how long are/were your refeeds? 12-16 or the normal 36? Were you getting in 650 carbs total or in the first 12 hours?

I gotta admit, over 36 hours I ate about 1200 carbs (via Lyle's recommendation) but I totally felt like a glutton! Is there a better way of determining how many carbs to take in? I'm not sure I can do Lyle's method all the time...
I stick to a 12 hour refeed...but I am an endomorph and quite sensitive to carbs.

The effects, for me, are quite rapid. Initially my veins pop like mad. About an hour after my first carb heavy meal, sweating becomes pronounced and I lose sub-q water. Definition is inevitably enhanced. Around the time I call it off, though, I begin feeling extremely bloated and heavy and the hardness in my muscles (from glycogen recompensation) begins to feel "coated" with softness.

Subjectively, this is the only way I can tell when to quit.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I stick to a 12 hour refeed...but I am an endomorph and quite sensitive to carbs.

The effects, for me, are quite rapid. Initially my veins pop like mad. About an hour after my first carb heavy meal, sweating becomes pronounced and I lose sub-q water. Definition is inevitably enhanced. Around the time I call it off, though, I begin feeling extremely bloated and heavy and the hardness in my muscles (from glycogen recompensation) begins to feel "coated" with softness.

Subjectively, this is the only way I can tell when to quit.
I'm most def an endo. No problem putting muscle on, but trouble shedding when it's time. I may try your way next time, and see if I feel better. Man some hyper active enhanced DCP would rock during the week on a CKD huh?;)

So if you had to quantify the amount, it'd be around 700ish? I just feel like eating 1200 carbs isn't the brightest idea the more I think about it.