T3 when already on T4 for hypothyroidism

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.9%

T3 when already on T4 for hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 21 (not due to thyroid hormone abuse, doctors were not sure and deemed it to be genetic since both parents have it too). I have been on T4 ever since, dose has been periodically adjusted. Currently I'm at 150 mcg ED.

So I know the regular protocol for healthy people is to ramp up T3 to 100mcg and ramp back down when stopping. What about people like me? I'm guessing taking 150mcg T4 with 100mcg T3 will be at dangerous levels (assumptions are: in healthy people the thyroid stops producing when going on T3, T3 is 4 times as potent to T4, so why do I need T4 anyway?). Should I stop the T4 and go on T3? Or maybe should I at least lower the T4 dose (say 75 mcg) and take T3 @ 50 mcg daily? I can probably do this long term since I'm not concerned with the number 1 side effect: losing use of my thyroid, it doesn't work anyway!

Any insight is appreciated.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.59%

You shouldn't use thyroid hormones when you have a pre-existing thyroid condition. You really shouldn't consider options that could result in death when trying to lose weight.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40%

Amend to that. Thyroid hormons are not to be taken lightly. Consult with your doctor before temping such thing.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.34%

^^ +1
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.9%

Not sure how it could result in death? Or if a pre-existing slow-thyroid has anything to do with it?

So you're saying people that are on Hormone Replacement Therapy for Testosterone (their testicles don't work, or have a pituitary issue), should never go on a Testosterone cycle for similar reasons?

Please explain...
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40%

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaMan View Post
    Not sure how it could result in death? Or if a pre-existing slow-thyroid has anything to do with it?

So you're saying people that are on Hormone Replacement Therapy for Testosterone (their testicles don't work, or have a pituitary issue), should never go on a Testosterone cycle for similar reasons?

Please explain...
    Messed up thyroid>>>hypothyroidism(myxed ema)>>>heart failure, seizures, coma.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.59%

You could deviate from your endocrinologists advice and take T3, but once you cease T3 your thyroid may not recover leaving you clinically dependent on thyroid hormones.

It sounds like you only have mild hypothyroidism, but this can be a very serious condition including psychosis, coma and death. Do you want to aggravate a mild condition into becoming a serious condition?

Besides T3 is muscle wasting without steroids to counter the wasting. I am not speaking from lack of experience also. I have tried T3 and clenbuterol without steroids against better advice from others and even at low doses it was totally unproductive. Since then I have been generally opposed to the idea of taking thyroid hormones from a safety perspective and from general experience.
  8. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

stop fawking with your thyroid When you HAVE the disease, you do NOT mess with meds that are not prescribed to you after getting current labs because you can make everything SO MUCH worse, instead of better.

Maybe you need to try Armour Thyroid. After 15 years of T4 I finally found a Doc who would let me at least try Armour and its been about 6 months now and I am feeling awesome !

Previous I had been on :

93-2006 .150 T4

2006-2008 ( summer ) .150 T4 & .5 mcg Cytomel ( which did help initially but then seemed to do nothing due to the low dose of t3.

Now Im on 90 mg Armour which has quite a bit more T3 than I was taking before. I noticed some changes the first week like my hair felt nice, was not dry anymore ( thrilled ) nails growing again and not splitting and a slight change in energy.

after about 3 months I felt better and better, sleep normal ( miracle ) lots of energy to get work done without stims ( other than a soda here and there )

so do yourself a favor, do not play with your thyroid as the changes meds make take a long time to really change any deficiencies.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Clen And Hypothyroidism
    By nobel252 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM
  2. Phosphatidlyserine And Hypothyroidism
    By nobel252 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM
  3. Hypothyroidism
    By CREAO in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17