How many grams of carbs can I eat per day and still maintain Ketosis?

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
The usual CKD is too much for me, as I am always lethargic and cannot concentrate.

So I'd like to try a more carb friendly CKD, meaning I would like to be able to barely stay in Ketosis, yet still have enough energy to get off the bed in the morning.

How many grams of carb could I sneak into my body each day while staying in Ketosis, and from what foods should those carbs come from?

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
i think these diets are flexible per each individuals. instead of going from 400grams of carbs to almost nothing, slowly reduce your carb intake until you feel comfortable. i;ve read after the initial shock of less carbs your body gets use to it and it becomes bareable as you progress through.

maybe i;m wrong..

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
What are you asking? Are you asking if you can have a few carbs vefore your wo? Say, instead of 2 bowls of oatmeal and a pre workout carb mix, just some toast?

I am trying to clarify it so I won't give you the wrong answer.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
If you're right on the cusp and bouncing in and out you will feel 10x worse.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
What are you asking? Are you asking if you can have a few carbs vefore your wo? Say, instead of 2 bowls of oatmeal and a pre workout carb mix, just some toast?

I am trying to clarify it so I won't give you the wrong answer.

From what I understand, pre w/o carbs don't count (25 to 40g), since you use them almost immediately, so they don't affect Ketosis.

However, I am referring to carbs on non w/o days or on non w/o hours. How many g of those could I eat without leaving Ketosis?

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
If you're right on the cusp and bouncing in and out you will feel 10x worse.

I can imagine that. I don't want to bounce in and out, but could I possibly get away with 30g per day plus 25-40g pre workout, and then doing a smaller re-feed on weekends (400g instead of 800g during weekends?)

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'd say you could probably do 40-fastacting pre and post with 30-40 throughout. Individual results vary, though. You may find you can get away with 70 a day or you might find that you need as few as 15.

IMO, just man up and eat as few as possible. Your body WILL adapt. I've been on plans with under 10g a day. It sucks but gets better until the point where I feel fine.

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
I'm on the 4th day of the Velocity diet and taking in 45 grams carbs on non-weight/cardio days and 97 on weight training days and I was in Ketosis this morning so I think it will depend on the individual.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Ok, so I see it varies. Maybe the best way is to gradually taper carbs down until Ketosis begins, and stay at that amount.

Thanks everyone.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
You wont know whether or not you're in ketosis unless you have a lot of experience with ckd. I know of very few people who can know for sure.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
You wont know whether or not you're in ketosis unless you have a lot of experience with ckd. I know of very few people who can know for sure.
Isn't that what the sticks are for? I'm not sure, it's just what I thought.

LuckyKid57

LuckyKid57

Awards
If you want to be experiencing the benefits of a CKD, I would opt to skip the pre workout carbohydrates. The entire point of the Anabolic Diet (in my opinion, the most popular of the CKD's) is for your body to eventually switch metabolic function to burn more fat naturally as it's energy source.

If you take in too many carbs pre workout, yes, you will use them up... however, you will shift out of ketosis and have to reenter again. As Rugger said, if you are constantly on that border line, you will fell so bad. Even for me now, there are a few hours where I am switching back into ketosis and I feel quite blase'. However, once I pull through, it is smooth sailing for the rest of the week.

I agree... just man up and eat as few carbs as possible. Supplement with some chromium, ALA to maybe speed up entry and also utilize those carbs better.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Sticks are crap and don't mean ****.
Care to elaborate? Sticks identify when ketones are leaving your body. These are only expelled when there is a surplus and your brain is using them for energy (Ketosis). Therefore if Ketones are present according to the sticks one is in Ketosis.

Unless you mean that the sticks change color arbitrarily could you explain your reasoning?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
In a most straight forward way, if you are looking for a carb friendly diet do not do CKD. Plain and simple, you get your carb loads on CKD but thats about it.

TKD uses carbs before and after workouts. Carb cycling you go through high days of carbs to low days of carbs.

If you eat carbs before your workout on a ckd diet it will inhibit fat burning as the body will use up those carbs for energy. Ketosis diets are not about ketones, ketones supply a very limited amount of energy just to fuel the brain. Free fatty acids are what your body mostly uses, so when you inhibit fat burning you mess with the whole point of the diet.

I also wouldn't get more carbs during the week to get less carbs during the weekend. The carb up is not only to raise glycogen levels in the muscles by ingesting large amounts of carbohydrates, it's too create an anabolic environment. Testosterone, GH and insulin levels simultaneously peak during a refeed, you never get that naturally. It also raises metabolism especially while cutting at sub-maintenance levels of calories.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Care to elaborate? Sticks identify when ketones are leaving your body. These are only expelled when there is a surplus and your brain is using them for energy (Ketosis). Therefore if Ketones are present according to the sticks one is in Ketosis.

Unless you mean that the sticks change color arbitrarily could you explain your reasoning?
His reasoning is true.

Sticks identify excess ketones, your right. But if use them at different times of the day the results are different. Do it while you drink a lot of water and you will test negative. Drink too little water and you will test high. Keto sticks are basically there for people who don't know about whether or not they have shifted into ketosis to have a crutch.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
I agree with what these guys are saying and have the same advice, just stick with it and your body will get used to it. If you are feeling lethargic, take a thermogenic before workout, that should help