i just had a baby!!

rnmills123

rnmills123

Awards
ok so i just had a baby, and i want to get back into my normal body asap! i am 5'7 and weighed about 100 pounds before getting pregnant. i gained 50 pounds with the whole pregnancy. im not necessairly unhappy with my weight, i just want to tone the fat i have left over. i gained most of the weight around my butt and thighs. i cant stand the jiggle so i want it gone asap! i aslo need to know some great and quick toning stomach workouts. my bf lifts and does all this jazz, but i want to do it on my own. so if any of you have been in my shoes please help! i wanna be sexy again by time summer comes!!

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ok so i just had a baby, and i want to get back into my normal body asap! i am 5'7 and weighed about 100 pounds before getting pregnant. i gained 50 pounds with the whole pregnancy. im not necessairly unhappy with my weight, i just want to tone the fat i have left over. i gained most of the weight around my butt and thighs. i cant stand the jiggle so i want it gone asap! i aslo need to know some great and quick toning stomach workouts. my bf lifts and does all this jazz, but i want to do it on my own. so if any of you have been in my shoes please help! i wanna be sexy again by time summer comes!!
Fat toning is impossible, you either lose or gain fat, the term "toning" used for decades is most likely body recomposition. (gaining muscle, while losing fat).

Couple of questions:

-Are you breastfeeding?

-Do you have access to a gym?

-Any health issues?

My friend is your same height and weight, I'm helping her get down to 125.

5'7" 100lbs is a bit underweight, but it's your body, go down or up to whatever weight is comfortable for you, but I'm kinda biased, I like a woman with a good amount of meat on her.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
First step in losing fat is diet. You need to be sure that you are getting the right balance of healthy fats (avocado, unsweetened coconut, olive oil, natural P-nut butter, etc) Carbs (primarily veggies), and lean protein (fish, beef, chicken, turkey, ham, etc)

After just having a baby, you will undoubtedly will need to build tummy muscle slowly, and it may take a while. I wouldn't suggest doing ab movements such as crunches or sit-ups to get rid of that fat, or to firm up. It is very hard to target a certain part of your body and lose fat in any particular place. The best way to lose fat everywhere is to do compound movements (involve your whole body). Try out body weight movements like push ups, pull ups w/ weight assistant (you'll find a machine like that at a gym), squats, step ups, lunges. There are a lot out there, and I am sure if you go to the gym you'll have a lot of other options as well.

Cardio is also great for losing fat. A mix of high intensity and low intensity is a great way to shed extra flab. Adding this to body weight movements will help you out a lot.

congratulations on your new baby and good luck!

rnmills123

rnmills123

Awards
no im not breastfeeding. i dont want to go back down to a 100 i agree i was a bit underweight. i like the meat i have on me now i just want it to be toned. so i need to loose the weigth while gaining muscle? know any good workouts for this? also im told i will loose probably most of it but dont want to loose it, what can i do to make sure i can keep the weight?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Eating sufficient calories will allow you to maintain your weight. Replacing fat with muscle is best achieved through resistance exercises - i.e. weight-training and/or bodyweight movements.

You don't need to lose "the weight" while gaining muscle, you need to maintain your same weight, lose fat and gain muscle.

A resistance training session of moderate intensity 3 days a week + cardio 3-5 days a week ought to help you achieve those goals. There are plenty of weight-lifting routines out there, google some for beginners, or even search for one specifically designed for a woman in your situation.

Just bear in mind that for losing fat and "toning", the more muscles a lift involves, the better. Therefore; pullups are better than curls, pushups better than press machines, squats and lunges better than any of the leg machines, etc.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no im not breastfeeding. i dont want to go back down to a 100 i agree i was a bit underweight. i like the meat i have on me now i just want it to be toned. so i need to loose the weigth while gaining muscle? know any good workouts for this? also im told i will loose probably most of it but dont want to loose it, what can i do to make sure i can keep the weight?
Diet, exercise and rest are the three basic foundations of any successful fitness program.

As far as workouts go, like babywifey said, compound movements are the best, that's what I have my friend doing, heavy compound movements (we'll get to that in a second).

Have you ever done any kind of exercise? if so, when was the last time?

As for diet, what do you eat now? include the last few days if possible.

rnmills123

rnmills123

Awards
i pretty much eat whatever i want. i dont have a strict diet, ive never had to watch what i eat seeing how i have an extremely fast metabolism. i played basketball in high school, so i was used to running and extremem amount. i did cardio as in running, and abs up until the day i found out i was pregnant. then stopped. i was used to running 2 miles in the beginning of work out and 2 miles after. i started doing some random lifting but wasnt anything serious just kinda here and there. or if i saw a cool machine i would try it out. im ready to get serious though. i just need some help on where to start.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i pretty much eat whatever i want. i dont have a strict diet, ive never had to watch what i eat seeing how i have an extremely fast metabolism. i played basketball in high school, so i was used to running and extremem amount. i did cardio as in running, and abs up until the day i found out i was pregnant. then stopped. i was used to running 2 miles in the beginning of work out and 2 miles after. i started doing some random lifting but wasnt anything serious just kinda here and there. or if i saw a cool machine i would try it out. im ready to get serious though. i just need some help on where to start.
Alright, here's a basic plan that you should follow for 4 weeks.

Diet:

175 grams of protein -700 Calories
100 grams of fat -900 calories
50 grams of carbohydrates - 200 calories

Total: 1900 calories per day

Like BW said, keep em healthy food sources, do not eat crap just because "it fits in the totals".

If you eat 3 meals a day, it'll be 633 calories per meal.

For breakfast that would be 4 eggs scrambled in 1 tbs of butter 426 calories + 1-2 bacon strips depending on their size 125 calories and large orange 86 calories.

You'll also need to input the values of the nutrients, 20-25 grams of carbs for the orange, 44-48 grams of fat for the eggs+bacon+butter and 35 grams of protein.

So you only have 25-30 grams of carbs left and about 60 grams of fat but 140 grams of protein so your next meals 2 meals would something like 70g of protein, 30 grams of fat and 15g of carbs each.

In the beginning, you have to count/measure calories/food to get your eye/hand used to the correct portions for your intake. After 1-3 months of doing this everyday, you will be sick of that sh*t, but you'll look better and after a while you memorize all the numbers/calories of foods.

Nutritiondata.com and Calorieking.com have a lot of foods in there and most foods have their values printed on the label.

Exercise:

Mon- (Back/Biceps/Abs)

10-12 sets for back, 6-8 for biceps and 6-10 for abs

Tues- 1 hour of LIC*

Wed- (Chest/Triceps)

10-12 for chest, 6-8 for triceps

Thu- 1 hour of LIC

Fri- (Legs/Shoulders)

12-15 for legs, 9-10 for shoulders

Sat- 1 hour of LIC

Sun off

*LIC is Low Intensity Cardio, this includes swimming, walking, rowing, cycling, etc... at a normal pace, jogging for example is not recommended.

2 times a week do this split**

Tue Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness WOD

Thu Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness WOD

**They have a workout posted everyday, you can choose any workout from any day/week.

Do this only after 2-3 weeks of doing the other program and when you do this workout, you can put the 1 hour of LIC in the same days as weight lifting or leave them there.

If it's working don't change anything, if you're gaining weight, loosing too much or not making any progress you need to re-asses.

littlejeni

littlejeni

Awards
If you are trying to maintain that weight, but lose fat and build muscle, think of your body as a factory. If I want to produce a quality product (muscle), then you need to give your body (the factory) the necessary materials (clean foods). It doesn't make sense to want muscle but supply your factory with crap...you'll probably produce a crappy product.

Keep this in mind, because one thing I've learned is that your body respondes about 90% to what you feed it and the rest is exercise. Diet just happens to be the toughest part for me and a lot of other people. Good luck my friend!