How do you get abs?

someguy1984

Awards
I know the basics and i currently have a routine and lift weight.

But, i just want to know how you get visible abs. If that's all i wanted, how could i achieve the quickest and best way?

I assume diet and exercise? Eating 500 calories less than maintenance and ab workouts 3 days a week? Maybe HIIT cardio 2-3 days a week? Is their a better way?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's all about lowering your BF% bro. Disciplined dieting and hard work in the gym.

Keep doing ab workouts even when you can't see the muscles well, then by the time you lean out enough to see them, they will look good.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
eating is very important along with cardio and ab workouts, what you have laid out looks good but i also think it's a good idea to do lifting that incorporates your core such as standing shoulder presses, pull ups, dips, squats and deadlifts. these workouts seem to make you squeeze your abs while you do them, i also recommend doing a different ab routine each time you do abs in a given week, for example if one day you use machines in the gym for your upper, lower and side abs the next time do your ab routine on the floor, and always do abs at the end of your workout, this way they are already warm from your regular lifting routine, but i've read in a few magazines that genetics play a huge role in getting a 6 pack and some people have a certain amount of fat on their stomach that they can't get rid of no matter what, i don't really know how true that really is...but good luck and keep up with the cardio

someguy1984

Awards
I heard cardio wasn't essential for abs? For instance, you could just light weights 4 days a week and do abs 4 days a week with a proper diet and still get abs.

Is this true, or does somehow running create abs? I would think it was a benefit, but at the same time too much cardio will screw up weight training. Correct?

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
My friend who is a personal trainer told me never to do the same abs workout more than two times in a row to keep them guessing

PILEGGI78563

PILEGGI78563

Awards
the most important thing will be your diet. if that is off in any way or you allow yourself to cheat here and there you can just forget about abbs. next would be your training. your abbs are muscles like anyother they need to be trained in order for them to grow and they require rest aswell. Cardio that is targeted at burning fat not just calories 4x a week 3 at the least. That lil bit of fat that covers up your abbs is the hardest to get rid of. Youl see a 4 pack at around 13% bf. But to have a true 6 pack youl need to get down to 10% and below. The only way to do that is with a strict clean healthy diet.
Good luck

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
diet, training..and the biggest factor...genetics.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
You don't need to do cardio to get your abs to show, but it will speed up the process, especially HIIT cardio.

Schecterx

Schecterx

Awards
I hate when people say "genetics" you are pretty much setting this guy up for a cop out when he feels like hes not getting his results in 2 weeks. lol. I personally think genetics is just an excuse for failure. ANYONE can have abs. ANYONE. work hard and stay dedicated. Not to be an ass or anything but for reference material only. Look at the kids in africa. All have 6 packs. or at least a 4...

meh. put the cheesburger down?

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
All have 6 packs. or at least a 4...

I have a friend with a 3 pack.... One just isn't there.... Looks kind of funny. He was talking about getting a in plant.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
I hate when people say "genetics" you are pretty much setting this guy up for a cop out when he feels like hes not getting his results in 2 weeks. lol. I personally think genetics is just an excuse for failure. ANYONE can have abs. ANYONE. work hard and stay dedicated. Not to be an ass or anything but for reference material only. Look at the kids in africa. All have 6 packs. or at least a 4...

I think what BigPoppa was implying is that genetics play a significant role regarding how much work one needs to put into obtaining visual abs. It's no secret that there are people that have rippling abs and don't workout or watch what they eat. This is AKA, genetics. On the flip side, there are those that workout, do some cardio, and try to eat right, but still have bellies. Again, genetics.

Can anyone get abs regardless of genetics, yes.

someguy1984

Awards
I think what BigPoppa was implying is that genetics play a significant role regarding how much work one needs to put into obtaining visual abs. It's no secret that there are people that have rippling abs and don't workout or watch what they eat. This is AKA, genetics. On the flip side, there are those that workout, do some cardio, and try to eat right, but still have bellies. Again, genetics.

Can anyone get abs regardless of genetics, yes.
Smart response. I agree 100%. I'm one of those people where it just takes more time. My stomach is pretty flat, but only the top is visual. I'm 5'7 149 and i think i need to lose about 6-7 more pounds before they look good. Maybe more...(unfortunately)

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
abs come after hard work and a solid program, it takes three parts diet, weight training and cardio. all of these three things of their own role and helping with reducing body fat% to make abs visible. unfortunatley genetics do play a part as some ppl are naturally blessed but i find that these are the ppl that often have trouble later in life because they never learn how to train and diet properly just train hard and eat big and clean and you will get there