How many carbs to cut?

someguy1984

Awards
Currently, I'm 5'7 149 and fairly lean. I just want to get rid of that bit of fat i have. In order to do this, how many carbs should i consume a day, or does it not matter? Regardless, I'm still eating 500 Calories less than maintenance and i lift weights 4 days a week and do HIIT 2-3 a week. I really want to have a lean look with low b/f. (It's a goal of mine)

Carbs make me feel bloated, so i assume stay away from those except for breakfast?

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
You're going to need to play around with the amount and timing of carbs but as a general rule:

- No more than 100g on training days and a bit less on non-training days but there is no need to go down to Atkins (<20g) a day
- The timing of the carbs is something that lots of people have an opinion on. If I'm cutting I won't eat carbs after 5pm but some people stop carbs even earlier although this will depend upon your training time.

If I'm cutting I will normally use a 3 days low/1 day high/2 days normal phase. Low will be about 75g, high 200g and normal 125g carbs and this seems to work for me.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Currently, I'm 5'7 149 and fairly lean. I just want to get rid of that bit of fat i have. In order to do this, how many carbs should i consume a day, or does it not matter? Regardless, I'm still eating 500 Calories less than maintenance and i lift weights 4 days a week and do HIIT 2-3 a week. I really want to have a lean look with low b/f. (It's a goal of mine)

Carbs make me feel bloated, so i assume stay away from those except for breakfast?
What % body fat are you, at 5'7" 149 Lbs?..... That seems to be pretty lean to me.... I'm 5'7" 175 lbs @ about 10-11% BF.... I'm on my way (goal) to 165 and should be pretty much leaned out.... Right now I'm doing 20g carbs a day and loading back up one day a week and it seems to be working great.

Good luck!