Cardio question

zhrutland

Awards
This might be a stupid question but I have to ask it. How does cardio help you lose weight/ fat besides burning off calories that you have ate that day?

Schecterx

Schecterx

Awards
Well mr zhrut, you got one part right. It burns whats readily available in your stomach THEN taps into your fat reserves for energy.

1lb of fat = 3500 calories.

Cardio + strategic diet = weight loss. CARDIO IS NOT THE ONLY FACTOR.

zhrutland

Awards
When I do cardio and look on the machine and it says 350 calories, I think well **** thats all I get for that?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
This might be a stupid question but I have to ask it. How does cardio help you lose weight/ fat besides burning off calories that you have ate that day?
HIIT especially:

EPOC requires oxidaiton of fat in order to return metabolism to normal, in some studies 10 percent for 14 hours at submaximal efforts. So fat oxidation continues after the cardio is completed.

It improves energy sinks, carbohydrate partitioning into said energy sinks (glycogen stores).

zhrutland

Awards
HIIT especially:

EPOC requires oxidaiton of fat in order to return metabolism to normal, in some studies 10 percent for 14 hours at submaximal efforts. So fat oxidation continues after the cardio is completed.

It improves energy sinks, carbohydrate partitioning into said energy sinks (glycogen stores).
English? haha

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
HIIT is the way to go if you are healthy enough to perform it. Low intensity cardio can't even scratch at the surface of what HIIT can do.

zhrutland

Awards
ok cool. So like running for 4 minutes at a slow pace, then busting my ass for like 1 minute. And then repeating that would be an example of a HIIT workout.

Schecterx

Schecterx

Awards
dont trust the machine at what it says ur calorie burn is.

worry about time and heartrate. HIIT program is good, but it may be a bit advanced for you. I recommend keeping your heart rate at 140-160 for 30-45 minutes .... when u feel comfy with that come back and we can talk about HIIT.

lifting weights is crucial too, compound excercises.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
English? haha
Haha, sorry, i'll bring it down a little.

When you workout at high intensities your body has different energy systems to provide the energy and when you do very intense workouts the body expels all these hormones and chemicals as a result. To bring you back to baseline homeostasis, the hormonal and chemical level you were at before you went into intense exercise the body needs energy. This energy is used post workout by oxidizing (burning) fat for energy. This means hours after you workout your metabolism is boosted because of the need to return to baseline.

Glycogen stores are the carbohydrate energy stores in your body. Quick release energy for intense exercise, when you do HIIT training, sprint intervals it increases your bodies ability to store glycogen.

Schecterx

Schecterx

Awards
I do HIIT workouts with a jump rope. 2:15 minutes normal pace at 45 sec warning I go ape ****.

we all have our niches.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
HIIT is the way to go if you are healthy enough to perform it. Low intensity cardio can't even scratch at the surface of what HIIT can do.
yea
Thomas, I read your other post as well about the effect of HIIT on protein and it being negligible compared to the fat loss.

I currently do Low intensity cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. Would you recommend to change that to HIIT on an empty stomach?
and what about medium intensity such as jogging at 7-8mph?

cheers,

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
yea
Thomas, I read your other post as well about the effect of HIIT on protein and it being negligible compared to the fat loss.

I currently do Low intensity cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. Would you recommend to change that to HIIT on an empty stomach?
and what about medium intensity such as jogging at 7-8mph?

cheers,
I wouldn't do HIIT on an empty stomach. I honestly don't agree with cardio on an empty stomach at any rate, but some people swear by it haha and sometimes thats enough of a placebo effect to ward things off.

But back to HIIT on an empty stomach, I wouldn't do it, I would get your meal in before hand. HIIT has it's primary effect in the post exercise situation rather than the in exercise situation. The benefits, time efficiency for those benefits and the fat loss from HIIT is more prominent than doing empty stomach low intensity cardio or medium intensity cardio.

zhrutland

Awards
dont trust the machine at what it says ur calorie burn is.

worry about time and heartrate. HIIT program is good, but it may be a bit advanced for you. I recommend keeping your heart rate at 140-160 for 30-45 minutes .... when u feel comfy with that come back and we can talk about HIIT.

lifting weights is crucial too, compound excercises.
I play D1 baseball for a top progam so I am confident that I can handle HIIT. As a position player we lift our asses off, but unlike the pitchers, we barely do much cardio.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I play D1 baseball for a top progam so I am confident that I can handle HIIT. As a position player we lift our asses off, but unlike the pitchers, we barely do much cardio.
Do HIIT then. My current HIIT program is something like this.

5 minute warm up
15 one minute intervals of 45-50 seconds at a moderate sustainable pace and 15-10 seconds of full sprinting.
5 minutes cooldown

zhrutland

Awards
Do HIIT then. My current HIIT program is something like this.

5 minute warm up
15 one minute intervals of 45-50 seconds at a moderate sustainable pace and 15-10 seconds of full sprinting.
5 minutes cooldown
Ok thank you for the help. I pretty much just gotta watch the timer and know when to put it in gear?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Ok thank you for the help. I pretty much just gotta watch the timer and know when to put it in gear?
Either that or have someone with a whistle or a loud voice by do to it for you. HAve one of your team mates help you out.