Eating fat makes you lose fat?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

Eating fat makes you lose fat?

Alright, i've been reading and their are all kinds of mixed views. Some people are saying that eating good fats actually help the body...So, you could have a diet high in fat and lose fat...Other people say this isn't true, others say it's good to fit in EFA's, but fat should not be more than 20% of your daily values. Which is correct?

I'm trying to lose body fat. I'm 5'7 152 and have about 15% body fat I would guess. I have pics, but can't post them...I just want to have a very cut, lean look. (low b/f)

I'm working out 4 days a week and I was doing HIIT cardio, but it seems to be not working great. I know i'm getting smaller in the arms, and i lose weight...But, i'm not tightening up like i want to. I feel like i could be potentially gaining body fat, but losing weight. (meaning i'm losing muscle) I haven't dropped in strength, but i believe this is happening. For the last 7 days or so i've been on the anabolic diet and i eat under 20g of carbs a day. So, all my fat comes from meats, eggs. olive oil and peanut butter, that's it...

I think i'm going to change my diet up, because i feel like working out and not having these carbs is making my body look smoother and pudgier. Not leaner at all...

So, what would a good ratio be to lose b/f and not lose muscle. I know i have to eat under maintenance. Currently, i'm going to eat about 300 calories under maintenance. I figure 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. What do you think?

I'm going to eat 2000 calories a day. I've been doing 1800 a day, but i lost 2 lbs quick...I need to up the calories a bit.

I also started taking creatine again for more intense workout sessions...

2. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I eat about 290g of fat per day. Seems to work
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

Wow, 2600 calories from fat a day...How big are you? I'm guessing you eat low carbs and the rest protein?
    •   

4. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.41%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I don't go keto or super-low carb like rugger (which does work for fat loss btw), but even I eat more than 20% of cals from fat. Fat is helpful for all kinds of reasons, but most things I've read recommend a minimum of 30% cals from fat for optimum hormone levels.

My fat intake varies from 30-40% typically, depending on my goals. For someone in your shoes, I'd go protein 45%, fat 35% and carbs 20%. Focuse carbs primarily around your workout, pre- to intra- to postworkout and then low carb it at other times of the day.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    I don't go keto or super-low carb like rugger (which does work for fat loss btw), but even I eat more than 20% of cals from fat. Fat is helpful for all kinds of reasons, but most things I've read recommend a minimum of 30% cals from fat for optimum hormone levels.

My fat intake varies from 30-40% typically, depending on my goals. For someone in your shoes, I'd go protein 45%, fat 35% and carbs 20%. Focuse carbs primarily around your workout, pre- to intra- to postworkout and then low carb it at other times of the day.
    What do you think about this?

Everyday i'll have oatmeal in the morning and in the afternoon i'll have a sandwich on pepperidge farm wholegrain double fiber 100% whole wheat bread. (100 calories, 22g carbs, 6g fiber, per slice) This will be my main carbs for the day. The rest will come from veggies, almonds, peanut butter, etc...

For lifting days, i'll have the oatmeal before my workout. Post workout i'll have a protein shake that has about 20g protein 25g carbs...(no sandwich this day) Or, should i have the sandwich an hour after the protein shake?

I eat about the same thing everyday...It makes it easier for me...(money, time, etc...)
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Fat does NOT make you fat. An excessive amount of calories make you fat. Period.

I and many others have used low carb/high fat diets to lose fat.
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%

Someguy that sounds lirk a decent plan similar to what I like to do with mainly oats bein my only carbohydrate source. In my opnion oats are the best for that. What else do you eat or plan to eat with that? Also 25g isnt much for postworkout, what kind of carbs do you use there?
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerfball25 View Post
    Someguy that sounds lirk a decent plan similar to what I like to do with mainly oats bein my only carbohydrate source. In my opnion oats are the best for that. What else do you eat or plan to eat with that? Also 25g isnt much for postworkout, what kind of carbs do you use there?
    I'm using a protein powder. Technically, it's a weight gainer. Your supposed to take 4 scoops, which is 620 calories, 50g protein, 98g carbs. I just figured i would do 1 scoop post workout...Maybe 2 scoops? (310 calories, 49g carbs, 25g protein) Hell, i'll throw in a can of tuna. lol

With the 1/2 cup of oatmeal i'll have a protein drink. 23g protein, 2 tbsp of peanut butter and 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. (550 calorie breakfast) I can add a 1/2 cup of oats making it a 690 calorie breakfast. I haven't decided if i should do that or not...

Do you have 1 cup of oatmeal in the morning, or a half cup? (difference between 27g of carbs and 52g)

What do you think about my sandwich idea? Have the bread on non workout days and use the protein powder supplement for carbs after my workouts? Because if i included the sandwich it would easily put me over 100g of carbs on workout days.

How many grams of carbs do you usually eat in a day? Well, what is your daily % of carbs a day? Because i'm sure our maintenance levels are different...
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%

Quote Originally Posted by someguy1984 View Post
    I'm using a protein powder. Technically, it's a weight gainer. Your supposed to take 4 scoops, which is 620 calories, 50g protein, 98g carbs. I just figured i would do 1 scoop post workout...Maybe 2 scoops? (310 calories, 49g carbs, 25g protein) Hell, i'll throw in a can of tuna. lol

With the 1/2 cup of oatmeal i'll have a protein drink. 23g protein, 2 tbsp of peanut butter and 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. (550 calorie breakfast) I can add a 1/2 cup of oats making it a 690 calorie breakfast. I haven't decided if i should do that or not...

Do you have 1 cup of oatmeal in the morning, or a half cup? (difference between 27g of carbs and 52g)

What do you think about my sandwich idea? Have the bread on non workout days and use the protein powder supplement for carbs after my workouts? Because if i included the sandwich it would easily put me over 100g of carbs on workout days.

How many grams of carbs do you usually eat in a day? Well, what is your daily % of carbs a day? Because i'm sure our maintenance levels are different...

I am personally not a huge fan of Weigth gainers as they are mostly tons of sugar and saturated fats. Which one do you have? It could be utilized well for postworkout with one scopp of it and one of whey, but Id skip it if I was wanting to lose Bodyfat.

Big breakfasts are a pretty good idea as they keep you full longer and let you eat less throughout the day. Plus your body is starving for nutrients so gettin it lots of good fats, low Glyc carbs and quality proteins is good.

As far as my oatmeal it honestly depends. If I am feeling really run down or know ill be working out twice in a day ill use a cup, but normally a half cup in the morning and a half cup postworkout when on cutting mode. I always comine my morning with a big dose of cinnamon (increases insulin sensitivity) that helps regulate insulin levels amazing well so even with those carbs they are all used efficeintly.

Workout days you want more carbs and non workout days you want to take in low amounts of carbs. Its basicaly a TKD style diet if I had to compare it. But when cutti I usually dont go over 100g and off days try to avoid them completely. I seem to be very carbohydrate sensitive (Less now that I have lost weight and oartially reprogrammed my body) so even maintanence I usually stay in the 200g range. Not 100% sure my % to eb honest with you. I use grams and then take in 1-1.25g/per lb of protein and plenty of good fats (fish oil, avacado, oils, nuts etc.)
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  10. Oldtimer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.82%
    Achievements Posting Pro

i am planning on running the CHA diet come new year which is a low carb high fat and protein diet by scivation the principles regarding it are very sound
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

I am personally not a huge fan of Weigth gainers as they are mostly tons of sugar and saturated fats. Which one do you have? It could be utilized well for postworkout with one scopp of it and one of whey, but Id skip it if I was wanting to lose Bodyfat.

Big breakfasts are a pretty good idea as they keep you full longer and let you eat less throughout the day. Plus your body is starving for nutrients so gettin it lots of good fats, low Glyc carbs and quality proteins is good.

As far as my oatmeal it honestly depends. If I am feeling really run down or know ill be working out twice in a day ill use a cup, but normally a half cup in the morning and a half cup postworkout when on cutting mode. I always comine my morning with a big dose of cinnamon (increases insulin sensitivity) that helps regulate insulin levels amazing well so even with those carbs they are all used efficeintly.

Workout days you want more carbs and non workout days you want to take in low amounts of carbs. Its basicaly a TKD style diet if I had to compare it. But when cutti I usually dont go over 100g and off days try to avoid them completely. I seem to be very carbohydrate sensitive (Less now that I have lost weight and oartially reprogrammed my body) so even maintanence I usually stay in the 200g range. Not 100% sure my % to eb honest with you. I use grams and then take in 1-1.25g/per lb of protein and plenty of good fats (fish oil, avacado, oils, nuts etc.)
    I think we are similar. When i have a lot of carbs i feel very bloated. I mean today all i had was a 1/2 of oatmeal and a peanut butter sandwich on good bread. I feel fat, it's ridiculous...Today is my off day, but i had under 20g of carbs all week last week, so i'll consider today a bit of a "carb up." Where do you get your other carbs from on workout days? 52g from oatmeal and where is the other 40? Maybe some wheat bread or something?

I just want to make sure that me getting a few carbs from a piece of wheat bread is ok on workout days...Maybe i'll just have 1 slice of bread (22g carbs) and 2 tbsp of peanut butter. It helps me get my fiber in.

Also, it seems like you workout a lot? What is your routine? Do you do any cardio on a cut, or do you just workout and let the "diet" take place and burn the body fat?

Actually, this weight gainer is good. It's only 4g of fat for 4 scoops and 9g of sugar. Zero saturated fat. So, one scoop would only be 1g of fat and about 2.3g of sugar...Not bad...Basically, it's just carbs and protein.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%

Not too bad then. Ya cardio is a must. Mainly HIIT type on non workout days and maybe one long distance day. I have tried the let the diet do it's thing routine and it did not work nearly as well for me. When I step up the cardio the effects are very noticeable. Lifting is 3-4x a week depending on what program I am on.
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

Not too bad then. Ya cardio is a must. Mainly HIIT type on non workout days and maybe one long distance day. I have tried the let the diet do it's thing routine and it did not work nearly as well for me. When I step up the cardio the effects are very noticeable. Lifting is 3-4x a week depending on what program I am on.
    Alright, cool. I figured HIIT was good...I've read that people say doing HIIT and low carb are bad choices...Maybe i should have carbs evertime i do hit or lift and no carbs on the weekends? Because HIIT is intense like working out...Maybe carbs in the morning, but none after the workout?

How many days a week did you do cardio. (HIIT) 2 days a week?

This is my routine, tell me how you think it will work out.

Mon-Chest, biceps
    Tues-HIIT cardio (no more than 20mins)
    Wed-Legs, shoulders
    Thur-HIIT cardio (no more than 20mins)
    Fri-Back, triceps

Or...
    Mon-Chest, biceps
    Tues-HIIT cardio (no more than 20mins)
    Wed-Legs
    Thur-Shoulders
    Fri-Back, triceps
    Sat-HIIT cardio (no more than 20mins)

Which one? Or would you alter it?

This is 1800 calories a day. On lift days oatmeal before and after workouts. (For carbs)
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%

Depending on the type of HIIT you want to do I would not do them the day before a hardcore leg day haha. 2x a week to start out defnitely, bump to three after a few weeks. I wouldnt worry about HIIT on low carbs, I do it just fine as long as my fat and protein intake is sufficent.
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

Depending on the type of HIIT you want to do I would not do them the day before a hardcore leg day haha. 2x a week to start out defnitely, bump to three after a few weeks. I wouldnt worry about HIIT on low carbs, I do it just fine as long as my fat and protein intake is sufficent.
    Good point. I never get sore from HIIT though. It just feels good. I run about 10.5 on the treadmill on the sprint part.

I do 5min jog, 35sec sprint, 1min jog, 35sec sprint. I do that 6-9 times. (depending on how tired i am) Then, i'll jog or walk a cool down for a couple mins.

How is your HIIT done?
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.05%

Almost exactly the same. I like to really push my sprints sometimes up in the 11-12 range! Thats stuff kills you.
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.22%

HIIT is great on low carb diets. Not only does it increase fat oxidation post workout and through the day, HIIT causes glycogen assimilation to be more efficient, hence more efficient carb loads.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    HIIT is great on low carb diets. Not only does it increase fat oxidation post workout and through the day, HIIT causes glycogen assimilation to be more efficient, hence more efficient carb loads.
    With the diet him I do, we won't really have carb loads...Which is why i thought HIIT wouldn't be a great idea. I'll continue to do it though.

So, basically if I do HIIT 3 times a week, i shouldn't have to worry about muscle loss, correct? As long as i don't exceed 20mins or so...
  19. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.56%

but doesn't HIIT with insufficient carbs lead to muscle loss?
    I read a few articles which were saying so. They were saying in Hi intensity Training, body needs glucose and if there's no carbs it gets it from protein.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.22%

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFromAus View Post
    but doesn't HIIT with insufficient carbs lead to muscle loss?
    I read a few articles which were saying so. They were saying in Hi intensity Training, body needs glucose and if there's no carbs it gets it from protein.

Body has glycogen stores. 15 minutes of hiit is what, 150 seconds of sprinting? Comparable to two, three sets of squatting. Even if there was protein needed to break down for it, I think the loss would be negligible compared to the fat loss that would be gained.

No offense, but I really find it ridiculous to stray from HIIT on low carb diets when training is encouraged.

Lets say hit close to 11 miles an hour on a sprint, treadmill machine.

Activity: Running, 10.9 mph (5.5 min mile)
    Time (mins): 1
    Calories: 23.81

150 seconds would round out ~60 calories, 15 grams of glucose, roughly 30 grams of protein expecting a turn over rate of 52 percent of protein is glucogenic.

Lets consider a preworkout meal containing 30-50 grams of protein and however many grams of fat I would get in. Say only 10 grams of protein are utilized. Leaving with 20 I need to get through from the body. Now, i'll get the sources tommorow but lets say hiit raises metabolism 20 percent over 12 hours.

That would be a net loss of 80 calories of protein for 240 calories of fat assuming no glycogen in the muscles.

I know its not as simple as that when it comes to the body. But weighing it out the possible muscle losses versus the fat loss isn't a worry.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.22%

With the diet him I do, we won't really have carb loads...Which is why i thought HIIT wouldn't be a great idea. I'll continue to do it though.

So, basically if I do HIIT 3 times a week, i shouldn't have to worry about muscle loss, correct? As long as i don't exceed 20mins or so...
    What kind of diet are you on?
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

What kind of diet are you on?
    It's similar to TKD. On non workout days i have very low carbs. Under 20g. On workout days i'll have oatmeal before my workout and post workout. (On top of other basic carbs, but i still won't go over 100g of carbs on workout days) On HIIT days i'll still keep my carbs low and consider it a rest day, since HIIT only lasts for 15-20mins...

I blow up on carbs and feel bloated all the time, so this seems to workout ok. It gives me energy before my workout and i get some after I'm finished as well.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.22%

It's similar to TKD. On non workout days i have very low carbs. Under 20g. On workout days i'll have oatmeal before my workout and post workout. (On top of other basic carbs, but i still won't go over 100g of carbs on workout days) On HIIT days i'll still keep my carbs low and consider it a rest day, since HIIT only lasts for 15-20mins...

I blow up on carbs and feel bloated all the time, so this seems to workout ok. It gives me energy before my workout and i get some after I'm finished as well.
    I would suggest some carbs after your HIIT, consider it a mini training day. Even though it is just a rest day considering the amount of work you need, HIIT requires the use of glycogen to perform.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%

I would suggest some carbs after your HIIT, consider it a mini training day. Even though it is just a rest day considering the amount of work you need, HIIT requires the use of glycogen to perform.
    Gotcha, i'll try that out. Thanks man.

I'm making another thread in this same section on my routine. Comment and let me know what you think. It has to do with doing HIIT after an upper body day...

Similar Forum Threads

1. What makes you lose muscle mass?
    By DB21 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 01:26 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 02:11 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 10:01 PM
  5. Replies: 6