buying a cow.

Omega

Omega

Awards
anyone know where i can buy a cow at? seriously, like a 1/4 or half a cow. or just alot of steak at a really good price?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Come to Nebraska, bro. I can hook you up! ;) Seriously, go hit up a local butcher. They sell beef in the quarters and halves, and generally cheaper than the supermarket (here, anyway).

Omega

Omega

Awards
word. but since i live in IL and im on parole right now and cant leave the state how about you just send it via FED EX. i swear ill have my mommy send you a check. =-o

motleybreu

Awards
just go to the butcher..that's the cheapest way around here as well

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Actually if you were close to Bama I could hook you up with my cousin.. he would even let you got pick the one you wanted.. right off the pasture..

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
Actually if you were close to Bama I could hook you up with my cousin.. he would even let you got pick the one you wanted.. right off the pasture..
Sweet Slaughter your own Meal!!

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
nah, not that bad.. you just get to help him load it on the trailer for the butcher shop.. :D

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Actually the butcher is a little steep. Try a meat locker. I do this every 1.5 years, buy a side of beef. You save a lot of money doing it this way. Just make sure you know how you want it cut.

littlemark

Awards
Up here in Ontario I just drove out into the country and drove around til I found a sign hanging by the road saying that they had beef and eggs for sale. Pretty darn good. 400lbs of beef for $1000.00, all natural no antibiotics or things. Eggs are a mere 1.25 a dozen too (normally about 2.00 in the grocery store here). Just go for a sunday afternoon drive. If all else fails, just get out and ask some farmer. Don't know if this will help, but it sure worked for me.

WISCPL

Awards
Lets see we have a huge freezer and we and a neighbor usually split a huge cow and a pig from the butcher. Its great and tasty.

The Conqueror

Awards
My dad and I raise 1-2 bulls per year.

He keeps 1/2 and I keep 1/2 for my family & I.

By feeding it grass / grain we avoid a lot of problems with store beef.

Here's what you do.

Look around for your states "Farmers Market Bulletin". Locate either folks that want to sell calves or where a livestock auction is in your area.

It's best to raise the calf yourself...to control what it eats. Lots of info concerning that in the library.

Hope that I've gave you a start!

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Plus, if you ever get caught with fina, etc. you have the perfect excuse;)