New Here...and starting from scratch again

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.

New Here...and starting from scratch again

Hey gang,

Been lurking for a bit now and need a little guidence.

Long story short, I've slacked for a few years now and am finally fed up. I'm about 5'10", 230lbs and think I need to be sub 200lbs just to feel good again.

I've been athletic my whole life and think I have relatively good genes. A few years ago I had a max bench of 325lbs and could squat well over 400lbs and had BF% in the mid to low teens. Alas those days are gone.

I'm also 32 so I'm not the kid I think I am in my mind...you older guys will likely know what I mean.

For a guy my size, what you recomend as a daily caloric target?

I've already begun to manage my portions and manage my carb intake, but just want to make sure that I'm not kicking my self into starvation mode.

I suspect you've all answered this question too many times before, but how 'bout one more time for old time sake.

Cheers,

ps - This seems to be a great crowd. I don't think I've read one thread that had any blatent negativity....even towards fatty's like me. It is motivating!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.

So I've been doing some home-based exercises recently but today I got back into the gym.

I was surprise that I hadn't lost a huge amount of strength. I expected to be a totally wuzz in there.

I was working by myself with no spot and was benching and squatting two plates. It's not much compared to some of you monsters here but I thought it was pretty good for day one.
  3. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

Glad to see you're getting back into it! Caloric goals are very dependant on your exercise/lifestyle. What sort of job/daily activities do you do, how much cardio etc. For cardio I like HIIT on non-weight days or fasted, and on weight training days do 20-30minutes low-intensity PWO.

I'm on a mini-cut right now, and I'm doing some circuit work, 4 exercises continuous then 90s break afterwards and it's pretty brutal but working. You can also consider a CKD diet (minimal carbs).

Browsing old threads in this forum has a bunch of good threads, just click on the interesting ones, like The Master Thread: Cutting
    1st Time Cutting, Advise
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.

Thanks for the response.

As for my lifestyle...that's what needs changing. I got in the typical 9-5 rut.

Now though and what I hope to maintain during the winter:

--> m-w-f head into the gym. Do a few muscle groups per workout and some pwo light cardio
    --> t-t-s I plan to do some early morening HIIT
    Also, on Thursday nights I play competitve indoor soccer.

When warmer weather comes again I'll do a few long rides a week on my road bike and likely join a summer soccer league.

With all that said, I think diet needs to be my biggest focus and historically has been my biggest challenge.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 07:41 AM
  2. Starting From Scratch.......rpm-drive-zmk And 1-carboxy
    By jaydesiel4651 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 10:04 PM