How to lose that fat on the bottom abs

  1. New Member
    MkUltra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    150
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    13.27%

    How to lose that fat on the bottom abs


    I am at liek 10% body fat right now and I still have a little "pouch" of fat around my belly button area that I cannot get rid of. How much lower do I need to get my body fat?

    Is there anything else I can add to my diet/workouts (i know spot reduction doesnt work) that I can do??

  2. Advanced Member
    allstar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    761
    Rep Power
    460
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    54%

    Get to atleast 8% I would say and than see what your looking like.
  3. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,390
    Rep Power
    2338
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    sweet name, some people just hold fat in certain areas, its the last place the fat hold out.

    I dont believe site specific fatloss is effective (topicals) due to it being re deposited, so as stated lower your body fat %.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    MkUltra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    150
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    13.27%

    Do you think I could get to 8% just with my diet/a little cardio? (i skateboard everyday about 2 miles) Or will I have to run to get there? I dont want to lose much more weight, just the fat (everbody's dream scenario i suppose heh)
  5. New Member
    MkUltra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    150
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    13.27%

    thanks Ill have to cut out the late night munchies lol. (already did that a looong time ago )
  6. Advanced Member
    allstar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    761
    Rep Power
    460
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    54%

    Make sure your diet is in check, once it is, I would highly suggest HIIT, and if its being stubborn bring in a fat burner, to get those last couple %s.
  7. New Member
    MkUltra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    150
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    13.27%

    im already eating like 50% protein 30% fat 20% carbs absolutely no sugar except whats in my once a day protein bar. I tried lean extreme for a month which helped me get from 12% to 10% still the pouch on the tummy though.

    It annoying cuz i have abs, i have my v cuts and it just interferes, i dont have that perfect flat, almost concave stomach Im after! damn it
  8. Advanced Member
    allstar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    761
    Rep Power
    460
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    54%

    Try HIIT bro.
  9. New Member
    MkUltra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    150
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    13.27%

    im gonna look into that right now thanks
  10. Advanced Member
    BoyFromAus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    429
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%

    you can't spot reduce mate. I tried that for years, never worked.

    The only way to get rid of that 'bottom fat' is by continuing to diet and workout so the body burns fat overall. In which case, the bottom fat will eventually get burnt. yea 8% or less.
  11. New Member
    MkUltra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    150
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    13.27%

    i dont eat enough vegetables, could this be having an effect on fat loss?
  12. Advanced Member
    allstar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    23
    Posts
    761
    Rep Power
    460
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    54%

    Probably not, you should have vegetables though as they are a good source of fiber, some carbs, but very calorie dense and fill you up
  13. Board Supporter
    joeymutz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,266
    Rep Power
    744
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    21.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    whats your calorie intake look like?
  14. New Member
    badfish51581's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    259
    Rep Power
    220
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    35.79%

    I can't believe no one's mentioned Napalm yet. HIIT plus naplam, maybe even mixed with clen would probably work well since he's in the 10% vincinty.
  15. Professional Member
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,786
    Rep Power
    270717
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Keto diet with a caloric deficit...and a fat burner...maybe a good anti-cortisol supp...can't go wrong with that combo! burn burn burn!

    I think it's really necessary to cut out those carbs if you're aiming for single digit bodyfat.
  16. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.21%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BoyFromAus View Post
    you can't spot reduce mate. I tried that for years, never worked.

    The only way to get rid of that 'bottom fat' is by continuing to diet and workout so the body burns fat overall. In which case, the bottom fat will eventually get burnt. yea 8% or less.
    Everyone wants washboard abs but how exactly do you get them?
    The answer has not been very clear and many professional
    fitness trainers disagree about the proper way to achieve that
    desirable mid section. This causes much confusion amongst
    their clients. "Am I wasting my time doing hours of abdominal
    work every week?"

    For some time now there have been two schools of thought
    those who believe the only way to see your abs is to focus on
    shedding whole-body f at levels through d iet and aerobic
    exercise, and those who say that you have to do lots of
    abdominal exercises to reduce the f at in you mid-section.

    Up until now, many scoffed at the premise of exercise induced
    spot-f at-reduction. Well the jury is finally in and it appears
    that spot-f at reduction is a reality.

    While whole body f at reduction is best served by reducing
    caloric intake and performing aerobic exercise, there is now
    evidence that the f at that is directly adjacent to the working
    muscles burns at a higher rate than f at that is adjacent to
    the resting muscles. It stands to reason, but until now, has
    not been proven.

    A study published this month by the Department of Medical
    Physiology at the Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen
    in Denmark showed that subjects who performed high repetition
    leg extensions at varying intervals and resistance levels for
    up to two hours with one leg at a time exhibited a higher
    degree of f at oxidation in area directly adjacent to the
    working leg muscles.

    This increase in f at oxidation was irrespective to exercise
    duration or intensity. The f at directly adjacent to the
    working muscles burned at a higher rate than the resting
    muscles. Period.

    This increased f at oxidation was also associated with a
    higher degree of blood flow to the local area of the working
    muscles and adjacent f atty tissue. This may enhance the f ats
    ability to be carried away and disposed of by the liver thus
    increasing the likelihood that the f at won't simply be
    re-deposited elsewhere.

    The take away from this study is very clear and should put
    the debate over exercise induced spot-f at reduction to rest
    once and for all. If you want to rid yourself of the f at
    that covers a specific area of your body, such as your abs,
    you'll have the greatest success if you focus on exercises
    that work the muscles directly adjacent to the problem area.
    If you want washboard abs you'll have to start doing more
    abdominal work.
  17. New Member
    TURUGBY's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    273
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    12.65%

    try lowering the cals a lil and upping cardio. Anti cortisol supp is a good idea too so that way when you lower the cals and up cardio ur body is less likely to go into a catabolic state and help preserve more of ur hard earned muslce. HIIT cardio is supposed to help alot as well.
  18. Senior Member
    panther77's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,330
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    27.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    i would definately give the HIIT a shot, also would try a Ketogenic diet. i just started it two days ago and so far it hasnt been too bad. check out my cut log thats in my sig
  19. New Member
    avenue Red's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    200
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    1.11%

    i suggest switching to ckd with cardio and weighted ab workouts. losing the fat on the pouch but also you need to tighten in or it will just be loose skin. i have that problem right now.
  20. Senior Member
    panther77's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,330
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    27.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    ya, he makes a valid point. it will tighten to a point, but it can only go so far
  21. Advanced Member
    BoyFromAus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    429
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    Everyone wants washboard abs but how exactly do you get them?
    The answer has not been very clear and many professional
    fitness trainers disagree about the proper way to achieve that
    desirable mid section. This causes much confusion amongst
    their clients. "Am I wasting my time doing hours of abdominal
    work every week?"

    For some time now there have been two schools of thought
    those who believe the only way to see your abs is to focus on
    shedding whole-body f at levels through d iet and aerobic
    exercise, and those who say that you have to do lots of
    abdominal exercises to reduce the f at in you mid-section.

    Up until now, many scoffed at the premise of exercise induced
    spot-f at-reduction. Well the jury is finally in and it appears
    that spot-f at reduction is a reality.

    While whole body f at reduction is best served by reducing
    caloric intake and performing aerobic exercise, there is now
    evidence that the f at that is directly adjacent to the working
    muscles burns at a higher rate than f at that is adjacent to
    the resting muscles. It stands to reason, but until now, has
    not been proven.

    A study published this month by the Department of Medical
    Physiology at the Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen
    in Denmark showed that subjects who performed high repetition
    leg extensions at varying intervals and resistance levels for
    up to two hours with one leg at a time exhibited a higher
    degree of f at oxidation in area directly adjacent to the
    working leg muscles.

    This increase in f at oxidation was irrespective to exercise
    duration or intensity. The f at directly adjacent to the
    working muscles burned at a higher rate than the resting
    muscles. Period.

    This increased f at oxidation was also associated with a
    higher degree of blood flow to the local area of the working
    muscles and adjacent f atty tissue. This may enhance the f ats
    ability to be carried away and disposed of by the liver thus
    increasing the likelihood that the f at won't simply be
    re-deposited elsewhere.

    The take away from this study is very clear and should put
    the debate over exercise induced spot-f at reduction to rest
    once and for all. If you want to rid yourself of the f at
    that covers a specific area of your body, such as your abs,
    you'll have the greatest success if you focus on exercises
    that work the muscles directly adjacent to the problem area.
    If you want washboard abs you'll have to start doing more
    abdominal work.

    Perhaps that works for certain people.
    out of personal experience, it never worked for me.
    Then i read up on the lypolisis process and fat reduction and it seemed to support my observation.

    But i used to be very fat i.e roughly 27% bf.
  22. New Member
    GotTest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    334
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    67.63%

    Quote Originally Posted by panther77 View Post
    i would definately give the HIIT a shot, also would try a Ketogenic diet. i just started it two days ago and so far it hasnt been too bad. check out my cut log thats in my sig
    Would you suggest...Shred Matrix?
    I tried a sample of Bullet Proof and it was awesome for libido/sleep.

    BTW...Add "[url]" to the beginning of your link in your sig.
  23. Senior Member
    panther77's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,330
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    27.13%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    this is only my second day on it, but from my experience so far it seems to be a solid product, it gives good clean energy without the jitters that lasts, and it is very convenient in the packets
  24. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,582
    Rep Power
    179395
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    24.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MkUltra View Post
    I am at liek 10% body fat right now and I still have a little "pouch" of fat around my belly button area that I cannot get rid of. How much lower do I need to get my body fat?

    Is there anything else I can add to my diet/workouts (i know spot reduction doesnt work) that I can do??

    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but Napalm or Lipo Ultra I'm on a cut and i took 3 inches off my waist with Napalm while arms stayed the same and Chest was bigger
  25. Advanced Member
    The_Reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    553
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    12.74%

    Quote Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but Napalm or Lipo Ultra I'm on a cut and i took 3 inches off my waist with Napalm while arms stayed the same and Chest was bigger
    Yup. Napalm is very effective.
  26. New Member
    GotTest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    334
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    67.63%

    Isn't Napalm only effective if BF is <10%??
    Question is more for me than the OP.
  27. Professional Member
    mixedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,582
    Rep Power
    179395
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    24.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GotTest View Post
    Isn't Napalm only effective if BF is <10%??
    Question is more for me than the OP.

    No Lipoderm Ultra is more effective at a lower bf but napalm from what I understand works at highter bf also well at least it worked from me and I was not 10% when I started.
  28. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    486
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    2.26%

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    Everyone wants washboard abs but how exactly do you get them?
    The answer has not been very clear and many professional
    fitness trainers disagree about the proper way to achieve that
    desirable mid section. This causes much confusion amongst
    their clients. "Am I wasting my time doing hours of abdominal
    work every week?"

    For some time now there have been two schools of thought
    those who believe the only way to see your abs is to focus on
    shedding whole-body f at levels through d iet and aerobic
    exercise, and those who say that you have to do lots of
    abdominal exercises to reduce the f at in you mid-section.

    Up until now, many scoffed at the premise of exercise induced
    spot-f at-reduction. Well the jury is finally in and it appears
    that spot-f at reduction is a reality.

    While whole body f at reduction is best served by reducing
    caloric intake and performing aerobic exercise, there is now
    evidence that the f at that is directly adjacent to the working
    muscles burns at a higher rate than f at that is adjacent to
    the resting muscles. It stands to reason, but until now, has
    not been proven.

    A study published this month by the Department of Medical
    Physiology at the Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen
    in Denmark showed that subjects who performed high repetition
    leg extensions at varying intervals and resistance levels for
    up to two hours with one leg at a time exhibited a higher
    degree of f at oxidation in area directly adjacent to the
    working leg muscles.

    This increase in f at oxidation was irrespective to exercise
    duration or intensity. The f at directly adjacent to the
    working muscles burned at a higher rate than the resting
    muscles. Period.

    This increased f at oxidation was also associated with a
    higher degree of blood flow to the local area of the working
    muscles and adjacent f atty tissue. This may enhance the f ats
    ability to be carried away and disposed of by the liver thus
    increasing the likelihood that the f at won't simply be
    re-deposited elsewhere.

    The take away from this study is very clear and should put
    the debate over exercise induced spot-f at reduction to rest
    once and for all. If you want to rid yourself of the f at
    that covers a specific area of your body, such as your abs,
    you'll have the greatest success if you focus on exercises
    that work the muscles directly adjacent to the problem area.
    If you want washboard abs you'll have to start doing more
    abdominal work.

    Source?

    Now, I know there was a study done on spot reduction that showed that there was in fact some thermogenic effect that assisted in fat burning, but the extents I'm not sure of.
  29. New Member
    Schecterx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    123
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    16.78%

    Spot reduction isn't possible, but spot "encouragement" is. When the muscle tissue is at work it creates a demand of energy on the body. Lipids move more easily when "heated", so where would you imagine Lipids move into the blood stream more easily?
  30. New Member
    someguy1984's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    126
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    75.58%

    It's all about diet...I'm going to try the CKD
  31. New Member
    pinchharmonic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    218
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    43.1%

    really cool article, it raises a few curiosities I've had before...

    let's say you do crunches until you deplete your abdominal muscles of glycogen. wouldn't further exercise require adipose tissue in the area to continue? or would it burn muscle?

    Also, I've thought theoretically cardio after a leg workout could "prefer fat burn" because cardio almost always tends to involve the legs to the highest degree, quads, hams, glutes... if you deplete your glycogen stores in your legs from a hardcore leg session, then when you're humming away on the cardio machine it can't be using glycogen... so I'd think it'd try to switch to fat yes? or burn muscle?

    and oppositely, think of having a great chest workout and doing cardio after. people tend to think cardio after weights = more fat burned. But your legs are fresh, they probably have plenty of glycogen to go in this scenario...

    any thoughts?
  32. Professional Member
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,786
    Rep Power
    270717
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    My thoughts are to get rid of glycogen when cutting

    Burn fat for fuel, not muscle.
  33. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    486
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    2.26%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinchharmonic View Post
    really cool article, it raises a few curiosities I've had before...

    let's say you do crunches until you deplete your abdominal muscles of glycogen. wouldn't further exercise require adipose tissue in the area to continue? or would it burn muscle?

    Also, I've thought theoretically cardio after a leg workout could "prefer fat burn" because cardio almost always tends to involve the legs to the highest degree, quads, hams, glutes... if you deplete your glycogen stores in your legs from a hardcore leg session, then when you're humming away on the cardio machine it can't be using glycogen... so I'd think it'd try to switch to fat yes? or burn muscle?

    and oppositely, think of having a great chest workout and doing cardio after. people tend to think cardio after weights = more fat burned. But your legs are fresh, they probably have plenty of glycogen to go in this scenario...

    any thoughts?
    Its going to be a really complex answer anyway, there is a lot to consider.

    First thing is the amount of glycogen in the muscle, which differs with both diet and with training intensity.Second thing, even if you were to use all the glyocgen in the muscle, what hormonal changes would occur and cause the partitioning of fat vs muscle?

    Doing cardio after any workout, would theoretically cause more fat burning because of EPOC. The body is in an oxygen debt basically and the metabolic processes to return to homeostasis raise metabolism for hours after the workout.

    Everything really depends on the intensity, the body might still burn muscle for glucose fuel even if your in a exercise range that oxidizing fat for fuel.
  34. New Member
    t-bone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    414
    Rep Power
    394
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    29.67%

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    Source?

    Now, I know there was a study done on spot reduction that showed that there was in fact some thermogenic effect that assisted in fat burning, but the extents I'm not sure of.
    Are blood flow and lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue influenced by contractions in adjacent muscles in humans?

    Me thinks the authors of the study are taking some liberities.
    Last edited by t-bone2; 11-25-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Modify link
  35. New Member
    BBR's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    247
    Rep Power
    199
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    51.86%

    I've heard the CKD is great
  36. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    486
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    2.26%

    Quote Originally Posted by BBR View Post
    I've heard the CKD is great
    It is.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Vote your Top 5 and bottom 5
    By littlebigman7 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
  2. lifes just hit rock bottom
    By bencozzy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
  3. Anyone else eat bottom round steaks?
    By Beebs in forum Recipes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 10:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in