How does one CUT FAT & KEEP STRENGTH?

angel77

angel77

Awards
  • Established
I've made some very good gains during my cycle and I want to know the best method for cutting fat (get ripped) without losing strength gains. I'm not as concerned with mass but they pretty much go hand in hand. I'm 6'1" 205 and pretty lean already but not ripped.

Cardio? I know it melts muscle if not done properly or over doing it. I know High Impact Cardio is effective but how much and what kind?

Cutting calories? That's a fine line as well if your looking to retain strength gains.

Types of diet? i know for sure about cutting major carbs and I've lived it. It works but I feel very lethargic and feel I would definately lose some strength?

I want to get ripped as hell and retain as much if not all strength I gained while on cycle.

Any advice guys? Cheers

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
IMO...it's almost impossible. I once weighed 185 at 5'6 and benched 325 for 5 reps after a cycle..then i started cutting (keto-diet...eca stack) and dropped to 160 in 8 weeks..and my bench was 255 for 5 reps..but i looked better and was more confident.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I've found keto diets to be my greatest ally. In my experience on CKD i've either maintained my strength or have managed to gain additional strength. Cardio wise I stick to 15 minutes of HIIT.

CrzyHrse

CrzyHrse

Awards
The simple answer - a good combo of performance enhancing drugs :thumbsup:

Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh

Awards
Most people will lose strength... there are some who have managed to keep it. Very rarely do people raise it like Thomas...

However, your best bet is HIIT. Anaerobic is you friend while aerobic tends to hurt strength gains from previous bulks. I think the loss in strength is always worth the trade off of how your confidence will go through the roof. Unless of course your job requires you to be that strong? I mean, think about it, it's all about cycling and cutting vs bulking over and over... you will never get it "perfect", that's what keeps you going.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
i dont find it impossible at all. its all about slowly transitioning. While transfering from a bulk to cut change your diet prior to swapping your workout. do this in about a 1-2 week gap from diet to workout. Then simply add in BCAA and beta alanine and a test booster to keep cortisol levels down and aid in cutting while eating a good diet and optimizing protein you should not lose much if any. i try to push the weights a 3 days a week cardio 2 days a week minimum when cutting. I also tend to alternate between 15-20 rep sets and pyramids just to not lose much

ALSO, since you just came off cycle you are going to lose some strength/size. it just happens so be prepared for that as well

angel77

angel77

Awards
  • Established
i dont find it impossible at all. its all about slowly transitioning. While transfering from a bulk to cut change your diet prior to swapping your workout. do this in about a 1-2 week gap from diet to workout. Then simply add in BCAA and beta alanine and a test booster to keep cortisol levels down and aid in cutting while eating a good diet and optimizing protein you should not lose much if any. i try to push the weights a 3 days a week cardio 2 days a week minimum when cutting. I also tend to alternate between 15-20 rep sets and pyramids just to not lose much

ALSO, since you just came off cycle you are going to lose some strength/size. it just happens so be prepared for that as well
so, as far as workout transition you mean more reps at a lwr weight to cut? I know I'll be dropping my carbs and keeping my protein high. It seems to be that to cut so many switch workouts to more reps at less weight and less time in between sets. Does that seem to be accurate?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
so, as far as workout transition you mean more reps at a lwr weight to cut? I know I'll be dropping my carbs and keeping my protein high. It seems to be that to cut so many switch workouts to more reps at less weight and less time in between sets. Does that seem to be accurate?
it is what i do along with alternating pyramiding. i always find myself with a very effective cut in the end by following these regiments

angel77

angel77

Awards
  • Established
it is what i do along with alternating pyramiding. i always find myself with a very effective cut in the end by following these regiments
many also say that higher reps at lwr weight will burn off muscle because your not using power to lift heavy weight. It sounds like I need to lift heavy weight for shorter reps right?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
many also say that higher reps at lwr weight will burn off muscle because your not using power to lift heavy weight. It sounds like I need to lift heavy weight for shorter reps right?
i will disagree on that from personal experience. also their are quite a few bro bodybuilders who lift 15-20 reps. ever heard of 20 rep squats? its a very successful program used to gain leg mass and strength. same applies to every other muscle group. read further into it you will see

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Using only a modest kcal deficit (200-300) along with HIIT cardio is the best method, IMO. I also think that you should consciously try to increase your strength instead of having a self-fulfilling prophecy and expect to lose strength. My last several "cuts" have followed this outline and I gain strength everytime. Adding in BCAAs during training and having a nice caloric spike 2-3x/wk also helps with this process.

Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh

Awards
Using only a modest kcal deficit (200-300) along with HIIT cardio is the best method, IMO. I also think that you should consciously try to increase your strength instead of having a self-fulfilling prophecy and expect to lose strength. My last several "cuts" have followed this outline and I gain strength everytime. Adding in BCAAs during training and having a nice caloric spike 2-3x/wk also helps with this process.

Awesome advice! I find that while I cutting that I just can't get PAST a certain weight with Arnold Presses (50lbs is max)... but at least I try to get there instead of just assuming I can't move up.

Now, are you suggesting kcal deficit in relation to BMR or BMR + everyday activity? For instance, my BMR is 1920, but with a "desk" job modifier, I am looking at 2300 cals for the day. I normally take in 2000 food cals + 150 in supps. This doesn't include my cardio workout.

Just looking for your opinions.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1. Carb cycling
2. Creatine
3. Beta-Alanine
4. Glycerol Monostearate
5. oats or WMS with P-Slin
6. BCAA's

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome advice! I find that while I cutting that I just can't get PAST a certain weight with Arnold Presses (50lbs is max)... but at least I try to get there instead of just assuming I can't move up.

Now, are you suggesting kcal deficit in relation to BMR or BMR + everyday activity? For instance, my BMR is 1920, but with a "desk" job modifier, I am looking at 2300 cals for the day. I normally take in 2000 food cals + 150 in supps. This doesn't include my cardio workout.

Based off of total energy expenditure. If your BMR is ~1920, then I would say your total energy expenditure is somewhere around 2700

FYI, TDEE includes
BMR/RMR
General Activity (BMR/RMR x.2)
Thermic effect of feeding (Kcals x.1)
Exercise

Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh

Awards
Based off of total energy expenditure. If your BMR is ~1920, then I would say your total energy expenditure is somewhere around 2700

FYI, TDEE includes
BMR/RMR
General Activity (BMR/RMR x.2)
Thermic effect of feeding (Kcals x.1)
Exercise

Ah... 200-300 less cals would then take me to eating about 2300 a day. Which in turn, makes a lb loss take over 10 days.

At my rate of 2000 cals a day, I lose about 1 - 1.5 a weeks, which is decent for me.

angel77

angel77

Awards
  • Established

When you say calorie spike you mean go above maintenance 3x a week but stay below the other 4 days? I also haven't heard of BCAA's by themselves, just in my protein. Quick note on where I can pick it up? Cheers, angel77

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
When you say calorie spike you mean go above maintenance 3x a week but stay below the other 4 days? I also haven't heard of BCAA's by themselves, just in my protein. Quick note on where I can pick it up? Cheers, angel77
nutraplanet.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established
i just finished a 2 month cut, posted pictures in the pictures forum just today

i went from about 171-159, and lost considerable amounts of weight, but the strength loss was marginal in all honesty. I believe I kept 90-95% of the muscle I had before.

I'm not going to argue with the keto guys here, but I just don't recommend that type of hardcore dieting. I went from 250 grams of carbs slowly down to a bout 65-110 a day and stayed there for the duration of my 2 month cut. I did 3-5 days at 65-110 grams, then 1-2 days of around 150. It was reasonable, it was easier to manage, and it worked. I have piss poor genetics, i gain fat easily, and i gain muscle slowly, and despite that I feel this diet helped me retain 90-95% of my muscle.

i believe in continuing to lift heavy even when you are cutting. There's this tendency for people to increase reps, lower weight when they decide to cut... sure, you can try that for short-term variety, but even if you keep calories the same and decide to lift lighter for a few weeks you will get weaker. what do you expect will happen if you do the same at a calorie /carb deficit? I'd continue to lift big, and maintain those weights and psychologically believe that you won't get weaker. Keto diets will shock your body and deplete your muscle glycogen fast obviously. It almost digs a grave for you as far as not being able to lift as hard as you once could.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I accomplished this very thing drug-free over the course of 11 months. Don't let anyone tell you it's not possible. I've kept pretty much all of my strength, some exercises even went up! Went from 217lbs - 168lbs.

PM me if you want some detailed advice.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
irish cannon good job man you did a good job on your cut bro nice work!

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Do everything the same just lots of cardio..

IrishRugby34

IrishRugby34

Awards
Check out an Anabolic Diet aka CKD. Its going to be all diet related, you can supplement yourself to death, but if you arent eating properly you will either lose no fat or lose a ton of strength.

Strongman1970

Awards

To help with your sticking points in the Arnold Press, you might want to try microloading to nudge yourself past your plateau. Platemates are awesome for this.