weight loss advice (yeh i'm sure it's a tired question:)

kckcjl94

Awards
ok, i'm 5'10, prob weigh about 265, haven't lifted in a long time. so the weight is just excess fat.

my diet is fairly clean, i will do 40 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach in the morning, sometimes right when i wake up, other times i might wait a few hours, without eating until i go.

i'll eat weight control oatmeal with fat free milk. 2-3 hours later i'll eat a sandwich with wheat bread, miracle whip, hot mustard. maybe later potatoe with tuna fat free butter, then maybe a heathly choice meal of some kind, and i try not to eat carbs a few hours before bed. i would guess my caloric intake is around 1000 a day, and carbs are maybe 200 or so.

i generally save the weight lifting when i hit this eventual wall that my body doesn't want to lose anymore weight.

basically i'm looking for any sort of adjustments or advice on this setup, and any supplements stacks that would give me the most amount of fat burn.

i have been looking into clen/t3, dcp/leviathan or the eca. unfortunately, the mental aspect is the hardest for me, k have no problems putting in the work or the diet.

thanks

Kalakbar

Awards
ok, i'm 5'10, prob weigh about 265, haven't lifted in a long time. so the weight is just excess fat.

my diet is fairly clean, i will do 40 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach in the morning, sometimes right when i wake up, other times i might wait a few hours, without eating until i go.

i'll eat weight control oatmeal with fat free milk. 2-3 hours later i'll eat a sandwich with wheat bread, miracle whip, hot mustard. maybe later potatoe with tuna fat free butter, then maybe a heathly choice meal of some kind, and i try not to eat carbs a few hours before bed. i would guess my caloric intake is around 1000 a day, and carbs are maybe 200 or so.

i generally save the weight lifting when i hit this eventual wall that my body doesn't want to lose anymore weight.

basically i'm looking for any sort of adjustments or advice on this setup, and any supplements stacks that would give me the most amount of fat burn.

i have been looking into clen/t3, dcp/leviathan or the eca. unfortunately, the mental aspect is the hardest for me, k have no problems putting in the work or the diet.

thanks
For weight loss, diet is probably a good 60% of the whole picture; exercise is about 30% of the picture, with supplements taking up the last 10%. I would not worry at all about supplements until you get your diet settled.

As far as your diet goes, we need more info before we are able to give advise as to what needs to change. Fair warning though, 1000 calories a day for a 265 pound person will kill off your metabolism, putting you into something called "starvation mode." While in this mode, weight lost is around 60% muscle, 40% fat, which is not an acceptable ratio! As you lose more muscle, not only will you look worse, but your body will burn less calories, making it harder to lose weight. This leads to a vicious cycle, as you can well imagine.

You need to know exactly how much you are eating. This is tedious, but if you are interesting in getting the best results, doing this will pay off. To do this, you can either use a website (such as fitday.com) or keep a logbook and write down what you eat. It's very likely you are eating more than 1000 calories, but how much more is very important. For your weight, I would not go much under 2000 calories a day. Also, make sure you are incorporating some healthy fats into your diet, in the form of natural peanut butter, whole eggs, fish oil, and nuts/seeds. Dietary fat does not needed to be avoided like the plague--your body needs this to keep up with its regular functions.

As general rules for nutrition, try to eat 5-6 times per day, having smaller meals. For your size, you would be looking at anywhere between 350-400 calories per meal, depending on meal frequency. Try to get protein at each meal, and try to consume the majority of your carbs at either breakfast (oatmeal is awesome), or post workout. For people with active lifestyles, the general rule is 1 gram of protein per day per pound of weight. Since you are not doing weight lifting, you would probably be ok with around 150 grams of protein per day (very rough estimate). Carbs before bed tend to be a bad idea for most people.

Fasted cardio is great! If I were you, consider taking some BCAA (branch chain amino acids) before, during, and after cardio, as they can help prevent muscle breakdown that tends to happen when exercising on an empty stomach. Weight lifting definitely helps a ton with weight loss, as each pound of muscle you gain makes it so your body will passively burn more calories. There is no need to wait until you hit a plateau to start--you will get benefits whenever you start. You will get better results from doing both cardio and weightlifting than you will from just cardio.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Matt.

mr.universe

mr.universe

Awards
  • Established
Keep in mind a simple rule. Quantity (calories) will determine your size, weight etc and the quality of your meals will determine your composition. As Kalakbar said 1000 calories a day for someone 265lbs is WAY too little food. Starving yourself will force your body to store as many calories as possible for survival. Those calories are stored in your fat cells, so you will always appear to have a softer body composition. Weight training is something that should always be part of your fitness regimine, muscle burns more calories than fat. Oh and as far as waiting hours to exercise while starving sets your metabolism on SLOW. You want to stimulate the metabolism as quickly as possible in the morning so try not to hesitate on the cardio. First thing on an empty stomach is ideal but if you can't make it first thing get some food in you to kick start the metabolism. Supplements should be a very small part of your weight loss program.

Dogsoldier

Dogsoldier

Awards
Hey kckcjl94,

Just hang in there. It really takes time. you can not drop your calories too much. You weigh what did you say, 265? You should be pulling down in the 2600 per day range. Now as for your diet, kick the carbs. Your bread, Miracle Whip and Mustard sandwich is killing you. I have lost 70 pounds so I know what you are going through. And yes I have hit that proverbial wall, but this too shall pass.

First, eat CLEAN! Eat nothing white. No white rice, bread, potatoes, pasta, anything white and starchy. In fact, for now, skip breads and anything made from wheat. Period paragraph.

Second, eat lean proteins. Those are things like chicken, tuna, fish of all kinds, steak, and so on. Use a good whey protein drink mix, but do not use it to replace your meals. Use it to supplement them.

Third, momma was right, eat your veggies. Especially the green ones. broccoli is a miracle food, but things like spinach, any type of greens are good. I would stay away from carrots, beets and a few other things as they are loaded with sugar. East fruits sparingly, too much sugar. I do not care what anyone says, sucrose, glucose or fructose...sugar is frigging' sugar. You need to get away from that to get you insulin levels stabilized.

Fourth: Good fats from nuts, fish oil pills, cottage cheese and so on.

How to eat. Well, you should eat some protein with every meal. Instead of that "Weight Control" oatmeal, go get some good old fashioned rolled out or steel cut oats. That "weight control" is hype and is a lie and I will bet you are paying more for it. I buy Quaker instant rolled oats. I think the honey picks up a 5 pound tub for about $4 at Costco or Sam's Club.

Also, drink at least one gallon, yes I said one gallon of water per day. This will help you stay hydrated, flush stuff out of your system and will help keep you satisfied through out the day. I read somewhere that more than often when a person is feeling hunger pains, they are actually misreading a signal that they need more water.

Look at your plate. You should divide it up into three parts. The largest, say 50-60% should be your proteins, the next section are your carbs (veggies) that should be between 20-30% and the remainder are for the good fats, about 10-20%.

There is a saying I really like, "Abs are made in the kitchen". You can work at the weights and the cardio all you want, if you diet is screwed up all you are doing is grunting and sweating.

Warm up your google-fu and poke around the Internet. There are tons of nutrition sites for weight lifters and people trying to get in shape. Dig them up and read. You may need to tinker with things until you find what works for you.

Just hang in there.

Zguy52

Awards
Hello KC,
Welcome to boards there is a ton of great info on this site. I commend your commitment to better health, weightloss is not easy and it will take persistance.

There are alot of good points mentioned above but remember you have to find what works for you. Some people respond to low carbs some don't some people like wieghtlifting some don't find a program that best fits you.

Important points above yes 1000 is to low. You will be able to get away with it for awhile. The more you have to lose the bigger caloric deficet youcan have before you go into starvation mode. Consistancey is key, keep workingout keep dieting and at 1-2/lbs per week average is good rate loss. You'll get faster initally but it will slow.

Water, water and more Water!

I have lost alot of wieght and often get asked how I did it. I'm cutting and pasting my standard weightloss/fitness e-mail here. Let me know if you have any specific questions. remember this is what worked for me.

Zguy

A few months a go I typed this up for a friend, I've forwarded it to several people that were interested in my weightloss/fitness stuff. So far I'm down 110lbs total over 12 years, In the last 18 months I've lost 60lbs (300lbs to 240lbs) while putting on 12lbs of muscle.

Here are all my workout secrets.

In General I use Berardi nutrition Principles, eat most your carbs moring or pre/during workout. Don't eat fats and Carbs together.

I use Velocity diet (built on same Berardi principles) but instead of the weight program used in Velocity diet I use HST(see below)

I ride my road bike 100-150+ miles/week usually on nonlifting days, sometimes I double up and ride on lifting days. I do HST every other day instead of the standard 3 times/Week.

Website for tracking calories (It's free)
www.fitday.com

www.foodfacts.com
Look up nutitional info on many national brands and or food chains

Workout websites - HST
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com

HST - Workout priniples guided to maximizing muscle size, works really well at also maintaining muscle mass while dieting
Summary
Muscle gets a stimulus and adapts, once it adapts the growth is slowed
Full bodyworkout, mostly compound exercises, NEVER train to failure
HST - start at 80% or your max in a rep range and increase the weight each session until you hit your max on your last session.
this is done in a 2 month Macro cylce consisting of 4 (2 week) micro cycles (2 weeks 15 reps, 2 weeks 10 reps, 2 weeks 5 reps, 2 weeks negative (if no training partner continue 5 reps for 2 weeks (4 weeks total))
9-14 days strategic deconditioning (SD), no working out for SD. muscle will become resistant to growth if you continue working out, SD is short enough not to lose signifigant muscle but long enough for the muscle to recover.
Start new Macro cycle with new calcs for your max in each rep range. Lather rinse repeat

Nutrition website
http://www.johnberardi.com/

Nutrition Website II (Lyle McDonald)
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

Workout/Nutrition/Supplements website
http://www.t-nation.com

Velocity Diet (liquid protien)
http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2125931

I use HotRoxx Extreme, they are really good, but I use Infusion Protien by San at viatmin shoppe, and I make my own Surge type recovery drink.

www.trueprotein.com

make your own protien mixes, I order a custom surge type drink and protein from here as well.

www.nutraplanet.com

(edit, I've switch to Recreate fat burner much better at appetite control plus adds cortisol blocker)

My current weighloss stack is DCP(Damage control Protocol) Recreate, Fish oil (in moringnand afternoon) then ZMA, powerful and Lean dreams before bed) I also take 3 powerful before I workout. you can get all this stuff at nutraplanet.

Great website very good service for ordering supplements, I got an order from them Tuesday.

I included a version of my tracking spreadsheet customized for you. Losing weight is simple math be negative 500 cals/day = one pounds/week, 3500 calories = one pound. Good weightless rate for men is 1-2 pounds/week but can come off much faster. Things to remember, as you lose weight your calorie needs are reduced. People will go back to what they think is maintenance eating not realizing it was maintenance for +20-30 pounds so they gradually gain back weight. (the spread tracks this). Things to adjust on the spread sheet, your age, Initial BF %( I just guessed) and activity level.

Sedentary (Desk job, little or no exercise): BMR * 1.2
Light (Light exercise, sports 1-3 days/week): BMR * 1.375
Moderate (Moderate exercise, sports 3-5 days/week): BMR * 1.55
Heavy (Heavy exercise, sports 6-7 days/week): BMR * 1.725

Good Luck!

Let me know if you have any questions

Attachments

Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh

Awards
Wow... that's a lot of stuff for someone just starting out.

I like some of the Lyle stuff you put in there. The man is brilliant in terms of weight-loss/fitness simplified.

I am not so sure telling someone to stay away from breads and wheat products is great either. Different strokes for different folks... while refined crap is obviously bad for you with Glycemic Index, wheat products overall aren't evil and downright necessary for some.

Absolutes aren't exactly the best thing to go by for weight-loss.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
Ya breads i wouldnt say stay away but ingest very little amounts id say, so like atleast lets say 2 pieces of bread (preferably wheat) a day i would recommend in the morning before you do cardio eat about 20 mins before or, eat after workout to get some energy back in you and to satisfy your metabolism cuz its already going and needs food. i kno man i went through a weightloss period lost 53 ibs in about 4 1/2 5 months started at 203 ended at 150! i still ate pretty normal, just everything less, if i want a sandiwch ill either make a thin sandwich, or if its a monster sandwich ill only eat half and come back 35 mins later that way your metabolism keeps going thats what u want is to keep burning man. good lean meats tuna, chicken, steak, veggies eat em up, and get yourself a whey protein shake chocolate is always good. as for supps i used Lipo 6, Hot Roxx, Methyl Ripped, and Methyl Ripped hardcore all of them are awesome but be aware after all of them bout 10-20 mins they kick in and you are dying for food, they made me eat all day, and thats when i started to lose weight cuz i keep my metabolism going but hey everyone is different. Working out gota do it, workout with your cardio fat will turn into muscle my friend. DBs are gunna be your new best friend, good luck on your journey hope this helps some you will reach your goal of losing weight man, just takes time like the rest of the things in life we all want so badly, we all hate time!