1st Time Cutting, Advise

wti66stang

Awards
So I just started my first cutting cycle. Presently I'm 5'11 and 232 and at 13.7% BF. I plan on cutting for 2 months. I'm taking Animal Cuts as my supplement for weight loss. I'm trying to do a 3 day rotation on carbs, going anywhere for 160g to 129 grams. I am consuming about 340 g of protein a day and from 72- 113 g of fat. I'm wondering if I am setting my calories to low. I'm working out 5 days a week, ending each session with 20-25 min. of cardio. What do you guys think? Anyone have any ideas on what I could get my bf to?

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
with 113 g. of fat i doubt your cutting "too much" calories. protein seems a bit high as well. try 1g. per pound of B.W. go zero carbs for 3 days(ketosis) then no more than 20g of carbs after that for 7 more days..have maybe 1 or 2 diet soft drinks at most in 1 day..drink tons of water and take a good multi vitamin as you'll be lacking carbs(fruit/veg/fiber). this should work out well for you and its easier than it looks.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
Also don't count carbs from fiberous veggies cause those are fiber. I just keep my carbs below 50g/day and its working just as well when I had it below 20g.

~GX

wti66stang

Awards
I was told to try to keep about 20% of my diet in fats and to have 1.5 g of protein per lb. I think if I went to less then 50g of carbs and 1 g of protein per lb plus cut the fat, I would be at less than 1800 calroies a day. Isn't that too low for my size?

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
I think it all depends on how much time you want to dedicate to planning out a diet/counting calories. I have gotten the same results from incorporating windsprints into my program and not giving a f*ck about diet as doing a ketogenic diet with moderate intensity cardio.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think it all depends on how much time you want to dedicate to planning out a diet/counting calories. I have gotten the same results from incorporating windsprints into my program and not giving a f*ck about diet as doing a ketogenic diet with moderate intensity cardio.

it all depends on how dedicated you are to the issue.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
it all depends on how dedicated you are to the issue.
Which issue? I think doing windsprints 6x a week is dedication in one spectrum and planning out each and every facet of diet is dedication in another.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Which issue? I think doing windsprints 6x a week is dedication in one spectrum and planning out each and every facet of diet is dedication in another.

primarily fat burning is the issue..... and this is your diet and low intensity cardio sessions.

training and diet are 2 seperate things to be dedicated to.

and yes 6x a week windsprints is dedication, i wouldnt even do it once a week lol. anything that has, sprint, run, or jog in the term. i tend to not do lol. ill walk and ride a bike and roller blade for my cardio.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
primarily fat burning is the issue..... and this is your diet and low intensity cardio sessions.

training and diet are 2 seperate things to be dedicated to.

and yes 6x a week windsprints is dedication, i wouldnt even do it once a week lol. anything that has, sprint, run, or jog in the term. i tend to not do lol. ill walk and ride a bike and roller blade for my cardio.
Very true. A combination of windsprints + clean diet and one can walk around very ripped. The only time in my life i could walk around single digit bf and not feel like sh*t was when i was sprinting everyday.

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
clean diet plus wind sprints/HIIT cardio and some HIIT training is sucha great way to loose fat while still inducing muscl gains

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
clean diet plus wind sprints/HIIT cardio and some HIIT training is sucha great way to loose fat while still inducing muscl gains

i dont think your gunna be gaining muscle while loosing fat, especially with all the hi intensity stuff and a caloric deficit (which is normally lower in carbs ) it will just induce more gluconeogenisis and muscle break down.

you can still get lean but at the expense of more muscle then a keto diet (if keto is done correctly)

wti66stang

Awards
OK so I'm 12 days into the cut and have dropped about 6 lbs. Mostly I would say its water weight. I am taking animal cuts, fish oils, and CLA. My cardio is 4 days a week for 20-40 min. I'm looking to drop my carbs lower and possibly my fat intake as well. I'm still trying to figure out how many calories a day I should have. I was figuring at 13 cal/ lb. With 1.5g /lb for protein. Give me some pointers

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
i dont think your gunna be gaining muscle while loosing fat, especially with all the hi intensity stuff and a caloric deficit (which is normally lower in carbs ) it will just induce more gluconeogenisis and muscle break down.

you can still get lean but at the expense of more muscle then a keto diet (if keto is done correctly)
if you stay in positive nitrogen balance you can still loose fat and gain muscle. HIIT is like sprinting and it induces fast twitch muscle fiber growth. more muscle that grows, the more fat that is burned

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if you stay in positive nitrogen balance you can still loose fat and gain muscle. HIIT is like sprinting and it induces fast twitch muscle fiber growth. more muscle that grows, the more fat that is burned
right but saying that you can gain muscle and loosing fat is not actually what happens

youll gain muscle which burns more calories and you will lose more fat, its not a simotanious thing IMO unless on h Drol lol

Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh

Awards
I think your CLA's, Fish Oil's and a Multivitamin is good for your supp's especially when you are cutting.

HIIT twice a week is good, don't do more, it's very stressful on the heart. I would change that up with some sort of other interval training, like 2 minutes medium-high , 2 minutes medium-low. I prefer the elliptical machine/treadmill combo for that stuff (20 minutes / 20 minutes).

Full body workout 3 times a week with compound exercises (I prefer reversing the same workout every other day I work out, as to prevent muscle memorization and boredom). Remember you aren't going to failure, you want to simply maintain what you have so it doesn't get used as fuel for your weight-loss.

Most importantly, diet. I'd suggest staying away from anything that is ketosis enducing. It usually leads back to weight gain when you reintroduce carbs and it isn't a lifestyle most can live with. Besides, carbs taste good and are the best source of instant energy... why wouldn't you eat it?! Personally, I am a calorie counter. Based on your BMR, I would cut out 250-300 calories a day and let the exercise do the rest. If you create a decent deficit, you could easily lose 1-2 lbs a week, I wouldn't go higher because as you lose weight... you need to drop more calories and you don't want to go so low that you can't move any lower. Think ahead of the game in the aspect.

Darth Pooh

Darth Pooh

Awards
right but saying that you can gain muscle and loosing fat is not actually what happens

youll gain muscle which burns more calories and you will lose more fat, its not a simotanious thing IMO unless on h Drol lol

Btw, muscle burns about 6 extra calories per lb than fat. Hardly significant as most would expect it to be.