how much is too much....cardio stuffs.

rawfeels

Awards
for awhile now, ive been getting back into the swing of things. my diet is pretty good, but its a constant battle. overall though, id day its pretty good. weights...yup.

so now thats its going to be winter, id like to drop some extra bodyfat. i figure if i can do it through the holidays then i can do it during the not holidays. so im going to be switching up my stuff to add in more cardio and keep getting better at my diet.

so the question is, if i were to do cardio on a daily basis while doing a total body workout 3x a week, is that too much cardio?

the idea is

mwf: ride my bike back and forth to school (40miles total) about 2 hours.

t,r,sat: full body workout, 30min jumprope.

diet: the usual. oatmeal, chicken, veggies, protein drinks 2x a day. total about 2100cal. (im about 200lb)

any suggestions:

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Doesn't sound too much. The bike ride is split into 2 halves . The more cardio you do, the more likely you are to burn off some muscle, which is why I try to do HIIT. Give it a go for a few weeks and see how your body responds, I think you should be fine though.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
^^ Agree wholeheartedly.

I think it would be too much cardio if you were adding on long sessions of low intensity exercises.

rawfeels

Awards
ill see what i can come up with for hiit on the workout days instead of jumprope. or maybe including jumprope into hiit...like jumping fast, slow fast etc. i just know ive had problems with shin splints in the past so i havent jogged in awhile.

the bike rides in general cant be substituted, as its my only mode of transportation....and i have to get to school.

so...ill try this all out and see the results in a few months.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
ill see what i can come up with for hiit on the workout days instead of jumprope. or maybe including jumprope into hiit...like jumping fast, slow fast etc. i just know ive had problems with shin splints in the past so i havent jogged in awhile.

the bike rides in general cant be substituted, as its my only mode of transportation....and i have to get to school.

so...ill try this all out and see the results in a few months.

The bike rides sound great. I live in NYC so i do alot of walking myself, so when people suggest LI cardio I can't help but to look at them with a stupid look, on an average day with nothing much to do I can walk up to 3 miles easily.

You can do HIIT in a swimming pool or on a stationary bike. Swimming pool if you could get to it would be probably better considering your shin condition.

If your comfortable doing HIIT with a jumprope, go for it.

Kalakbar

Awards
The bike rides sound great. I live in NYC so i do alot of walking myself, so when people suggest LI cardio I can't help but to look at them with a stupid look, on an average day with nothing much to do I can walk up to 3 miles easily.

You can do HIIT in a swimming pool or on a stationary bike. Swimming pool if you could get to it would be probably better considering your shin condition.

If your comfortable doing HIIT with a jumprope, go for it.
Biking is great for cardio, since it is easy to work in interval training with hills providing bursts of exertion, followed by downhill rest times. Since you are breaking up the cardio, it should be fine. There are days when I do a total of around 2.5 hours of cardio non-stop, and between good nutrition and supplements (BCAAs) I haven't really had an issue with muscle loss or overtraining. Hell, there is one circuit I do around my town that's about 50km or so, takes me an hour and a half to do, but god damn, great workout.

If you feel confident with HIIT jumprope, go for it. The last time I tried that it ended with me face down with the rope tangled around my splayed legs :p