What is THE best fat melting cardio?

Murchinator

Awards
Hey, currently i am at 22%bf, 6'5" and 277 pounds. I want to get to 14-15% at the end of march, i have a diet i am easing into and all I would like to know is what is the best form of cardio?

I have heard walking at an extreme pace at a full incline on treadmill is one of the best, also i have heard sprints are the best andd doing bursts of vigorous-medium pace on the bike is the best.

Just need a little clarity.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Hey, currently i am at 22%bf, 6'5" and 277 pounds. I want to get to 14-15% at the end of march, i have a diet i am easing into and all I would like to know is what is the best form of cardio?

I have heard walking at an extreme pace at a full incline on treadmill is one of the best, also i have heard sprints are the best andd doing bursts of vigorous-medium pace on the bike is the best.

Just need a little clarity.
400 meter sprints hands down.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
HIIT style training raises metabolic rate for hours after training and probably the most efficient style of cardio you can add into your routine.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
high intensity interval training. Basically 15-20 minutes of interweaving all out sprint efforts with average pace stuff. Something like

50 seconds average pace speed
10 second full effort sprinting
repeat 15-20 times

Murchinator

Awards
high intensity interval training. Basically 15-20 minutes of interweaving all out sprint efforts with average pace stuff. Something like

repeat 15-20 times
awesome thanks for the help!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
No problem. You should do a brief warm up jog or whatever style of cardio you do before hand.

pinchharmonic

pinchharmonic

Awards
  • Established

repeat 15-20 times
out of curiosity, is this one variation?

I've been doing 1 minute on and 1 minute off. of course the 1 minute high intensity isnt' going to be as intense as your 10 second all out, but i'm near dying by the end of each minute...

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established

I've been doing 1 minute on and 1 minute off. of course the 1 minute high intensity isnt' going to be as intense as your 10 second all out, but i'm near dying by the end of each minute...
Yeah bro, there an infinite # of HIIT variations. It's just a principle of hard/easy cardio intervals. For instance I love alternating 1/4 mile sprints at 11.0+ on the treadmill with 1/4 mile easy jogs at 6.7 (for a total of 3 miles total or 6 all out sprints). If I do this 3x a week mixed with lower intensity forms of cardio keeps my bodyfat sub 10% pretty easily.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Yeah bro, there an infinite # of HIIT variations. It's just a principle of hard/easy cardio intervals. For instance I love alternating 1/4 mile sprints at 11.0+ on the treadmill with 1/4 mile easy jogs at 6.7 (for a total of 3 miles total or 6 all out sprints). If I do this 3x a week mixed with lower intensity forms of cardio keeps my bodyfat sub 10% pretty easily.
i may have to give this a go.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
thx, to all who contributed to this thread. i learned a bit.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established

Yup, just one variation. I find it works best for me simply because its harder for me to do. For the stationary bike I use a different method however, I cycle between 5 seconds sprinting up to 15/20 increasing as I go along. After about the 13/14 second zone the speed deteriorates somewhat though.

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
HIIT, Sprints as stated above.
I really like jump rope and swimming when I am cutting hard.

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sprints are awesome!- I've lost fat faster doing 10 minutes of sprints than when I would jog for 1 hr.

jester87

Awards
yeah, but according to cutdiets gameover e-book, you shouldn't sprint/HIIT if you are heavy on the cutting. you should just do the normal 3-4mph walk on treadmill for 30min. however, if you are low on bodyfat like less then 15%, then you should add some HIIT on offdays to keep that high metabolism up! obviously this isnt fact or anything, but i believe cutdiet are right when they say HIIT on workout days will probably raise the catabolic effect... i used to do HIIT for cardio only, but now i walk and do 7mph jogging. im gonna stick to it, better to listen to people who knows their stuff and made results than to follow your own wannabe plans :)

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Spinning. You do that twice a week for an hour each time, you will see good results. Join a spin class (free with 24hr membership). With a spin class, you get a better motivation that trying to spin by yourself. Plus the instructor will guide you on how long to sprint, hill climb etc. My $0.02

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I definitely want to get into spinning. I always see people walknig out of there drenched in sweat and completely worn out.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Anabolic diet+ A.M. fasted 400m sprints+EC stack+DCP would be absolutely disgusting.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
I like to do HIIT as well... mine is a bit different though, i briskly jog (about 7mph) for 300 seconds then walk for 100, do this 5x a week for 2-3miles each time. Seems to work for me, thinking i should start lookin into all out sprints though...

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Honestly the most effective cardio is the one that you can actually get in there and do on a regular basis.

However when I was in contest mode my programs were mixed. One of the better ones for me was 30 min long it started with a 4 min warmup on the treadmill at a 3.0 speed then it went to 2 min of fast run, 30 sec of lunges beside the still running treadmill, jump back on and walk 2 min, run 2 min, 30 sec lunges..repeat for 30 min.

However I prefer to walk at a full incline for 30-45 min as regular cardio.

I had a few more cardio torture programs as well ;)

However diet is FAR more important here!

Eject

Eject

Awards
I did 4-5 min Warmup, 1 min sprint (full entensity), 2 min moderate, 1 min sprint, 2 min moderate

Basically sprint 5 times, and then 5 Min cooldown. I used this to get from 17% - 9% in 20 weeks

(help from supplementation of course)

Kalakbar

Awards
I've done a lot of different cardio. HIIT works awesome for some people, but whenever I would do it, my weight loss would stall. Not sure if it was putting me at too much of a caloric deficit, but when I would HIIT, my weight loss would take a hit (ba dum TISH!).

Right now, I'm having really good results with splitting up my cardio. I do about 20-30 minutes of low intensity fasted cardio in the morning, then after dinner I do about an hour and a bit of moderate to high intensity cardio. It's time consuming, but I also find cycling up those stupidly long hills pretty awesome.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
I'm kind of partial to the not doing cardio while cutting, and just taking 10 seconds between sets, especially while doing fully body circuits. Went from like 23% to 14-15% this way.

In a couple weeks, when I return from Iraq, I will be doing 400's and swimming again to get my bf% down to about 9-10% while continuing my circuits.

I do not feel cardio is necessary to drop from higher bf%, its all about your diet and training habbits, or at least it was/is for me, I'm just dreading the cost of all the lean meat I get for free right now :frustrate

~GX

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I'm kind of partial to the not doing cardio while cutting, and just taking 10 seconds between sets, especially while doing fully body circuits. Went from like 23% to 14-15% this way.

In a couple weeks, when I return from Iraq, I will be doing 400's and swimming again to get my bf% down to about 9-10% while continuing my circuits.

I do not feel cardio is necessary to drop from higher bf%, its all about your diet and training habbits, or at least it was/is for me, I'm just dreading the cost of all the lean meat I get for free right now :frustrate

~GX
You're right, it's not NECESSARY, especially at a high a bf%. However, if your diet remains on point I can virtually guarantee when you add cardio (especially HIIT), it will dramatically increase your fat loss.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Grappling leaves me more drained and drenched than anything.

As far as traditional cardio is concerned, I am a fan of distance cardio, but at ~80% of MHR. Not easy to do for most, but it sets a goal to achieve. Take a 3 mile stretch and time yourself everytime you do cardio. The goal is to beat your time each session until you can finish it in sub-20 minutes. After that, you can either add in a weighted vest or extend it to 3.5 miles.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Take a 3 mile stretch and time yourself everytime you do cardio. The goal is to beat your time each session until you can finish it in sub-20 minutes.
This is great advice! I also try to beat my previous times, every time out, be it interval sprints or three mile runs. I remember reading an article on t-mag that said cardio is similar to weight training; if you're not continually improving you performance, you're basically just spinning your wheels (and fatloss/fitness will come to a halt).

Also, I haven't grappled (although I'm planning to start MMA training) but I have boxed and it is absolutely exhausting. I know grappling must be even more exhausting and effective for fiteness considering you are using every muscle you have. I can't wait to start training!

GXbcmFTO

Awards
You're right, it's not NECESSARY, especially at a high a bf%. However, if your diet remains on point I can virtually guarantee when you add cardio (especially HIIT), it will dramatically increase your fat loss.
Thats why I can't wait to get home and do some 400m sprints, and swimming is just great and drains me after about 2k meters.

~GX

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
i am huge into, HIIT cardio i have seen it works amazingly well with people myself included

dommer

Banned
Awards
Anabolic diet+ A.M. fasted 400m sprints+EC stack+DCP would be absolutely disgusting.
if i had the dietary discipline for the diet i would give it a shot

my favorite cardio so far is heavy bag+speedbag for 20mins little to no rest when resting from heavy bag hit the speedbag and then lite warmup jog in to min as fast as you can run and min at 4.5-5mph walk/jog legs and arms both feel destroyed at the end of this

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
Max-OT and HIIT cardio are essentially the same thing. 16-20 minutes 1 min hard, 1 min average

i do running one day, then eliptical, then bike, day off ... start again

i do it first thing 6:30 am.. however, sometimes i like a 12am jog before bed - really ups the metabolic rate before sleeping

After starting this i eat like a monster and havn't gained a pound. even though i may burn 350-450 in my 20min cardio i eat way more and still maintain weight.

Try it and dont change your diet and you will loose. BUT do not get down on yourself if you have to jog a minute, go hard a minute, walk a minute... everyone starts somewhere i had to do this too... everyone always asks me how i got where i am and the answer is simple, get out there and do it.
if you feel like crap or are tired try your best doesnt matter if you are a cardio star everyday... it is the long run that counts.

count your calorie and distance expenditure and make sure you are beating your previous cardio sessions as the weeks go by

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Well i did my first HIIT cardio last night. I wanted to get 5km in 30 mins on the treadmill...thats quite slow i know but im kinda heavy now and do hardly any cardio....ended up taking me 35 mins. Basically what i intended on doing was 2 min walk at 6.5, 1 min jog at 10, 2 mins at 14 (5 minute bundles).....i did that twice then had to drop it to 2 min walk, 2 min at 10 and one min at 13. did that up to 25 mins then fast walked the other 10 mins to make 35...i tell you what, i have not worked up a sweat like that in years not to mention id forgotten waht it was like to have a stich! but i got my 5km and it felt awesome. Will be donig it 2 or 3 times a week from now on.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading a book called "Eating right 4 your blood type."
And its been pretty helpful. I always wondered why some foods, supplements, and regimens work wonders for some, and nothing for others. For example I'm a type A+ and supposedly we do not respond well to Heavy types of cardio. a brisk walk of an hour would be better

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I've gotten great results from the Stairmaster for years.:drunk:

freeforall

Awards
I have found RPM OR Spin classes to help me alot! the have firmed up and burnt alot of fat in very fast time!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
And its been pretty helpful. I always wondered why some foods, supplements, and regimens work wonders for some, and nothing for others. For example I'm a type A+ and supposedly we do not respond well to Heavy types of cardio. a brisk walk of an hour would be better
Not saying it's wrong, but there have been some good counterpoints raised to this book. Googling turned up a few, such as
The 'Blood Type Diet:' Fact or Fiction?
The Blood Group Diet Review
Blood Type Diet: Commentary

Schecterx

Schecterx

Awards
I find myself jogging out a mile at 6mph (10min), then jump roping 3 sets of 3 minutes, and on the last 45 seconds of each set hit it really hard. Then I do some heavy bag work. ( this is just an everyday thing for me)

I agree with the HIIT program that has been posted. Once I cut alot of weight but doing this. ( sprinting .10 mile pause, 10 pushups) x 3 +(sprinting .2miles pause, 15 pushups) x2 + (sprinting .3 miles pause, 20 pushups) x1 = 1 mile & 80 pushups (after I did that for a week, I would start coming back down the pyramid in reverse. I.E. after I did the .3 mile sprint, I would do the .2 x2, then .1 x3 hopefully you understood that. lol

clenson0809

Awards
definitely HIIT. good luck on your weight loss

HappyDP

Awards
A few weeks ago I started getting "back into it"

One of the things I have been doing on off days is 100m sprints...rest for 10-15 seconds and go again for 5 minutes. They kill me.

Are some of you guys actually suggesting you can do 400m flat out? Wow.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
A few weeks ago I started getting "back into it"

One of the things I have been doing on off days is 100m sprints...rest for 10-15 seconds and go again for 5 minutes. They kill me.

Are some of you guys actually suggesting you can do 400m flat out? Wow.
I do 800 and occasionally 1600 "flat out". Granted you have to build up to it.

NP HUlK

NP HUlK

Awards
HIIT training is a great way to cut weight. However if a person is not at that level a high incline around 12 for like 45min- 1 hr is best. ALso Stairmaster will kick your ass into shape. It is all about what works for you and your body.

Another form of HIIT training that is awesome is Gorilla Training it is what special forces does in the army.

Last edited:

HappyDP

Awards
I went out again this morning for a run. The only difference is last night we got about a foot of snow.

100m sprints, 1 foot of snow, -16 celcius, big snow boots = bloody murder

Oscar Dela Hoya did the blood type diet for his recent fight and looked like garbage...

someguy1984

Awards
Easy question, but different for each individual.

HIIT is clearly the most effective fat loss exercise. Jog for 5mins, sprint for 30secs, then jog for 1min, then sprint for 30secs. Sprint a total of 5 times and continue to work yourself up.

Now, your kind of big, so suggesting for you to perform HIIT isn't necessarily a good idea. HIIT is very intense and is designed for people who are already at 14% body fat. So, for a typical male over 20% body fat jogging will simply burn fat.

I would suggest doing cardio 30-45 mins three days a week and DIET. Working out is also a good idea, if you don't already. Muscle burns fat, so this will only help you as well...Consume less calories than you burn...After jogging gets easy, then perform HIIT. Jumping into something so intense doesn't seem wise to me...Why not jog at first? DIET is the most important thing. You could do HIIT 5 days a week and if you still don't eat properly you will not lose weight...

Monitor your food consumption and go from their.

Best of luck.

lightemup

lightemup

Awards
  • Established
i use to be a fan of just walking at a 3.5mph pace for 40 min at a 10+ incline on the tredmill. then it got much to boring as i got in shape and started just running on the tredmill. heres how my cardio looks:

START: 5 minute warm-up 3.5mph 10 incline

10 minute light jog 6.0 mph 3 incline

10 minute moderate run 7.5 mph 3 incline

3 minute rest jog at 6.0 mph 2 incline

5 minute moderate run 7.5 mph 3 incline

3 minute sprint 9-10 mph 2 incline

2 minute walk 3.0 mph 0 incline

try this, it works very well for me.

Mikey13

Awards
What about swimming? I get worn out REAL quick doing laps.
I have not been able to run for a while due to leg/ankle/foot issues, a very slow jog was all I could do. Hopefully this will all soon be fixed soon.

bigschmidt821

bigschmidt821

Oldtimer
Awards
  • Established
HIIT works for heavier ppl
you just go as fast as "sprinting" is for you