Need cardio alternatives

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I can't run or anything due to my having degeneration of the L3/L4 and L5...the jarring from running just hurts too bad. Plus I have a bum knee. I've already had to alter my weight workout because I can no longer do deadlifts, squats, bent over rows, etc.

I need some ideas that may help me cardio wise and help burn fat, yet not cause pain. Since I stopped cardio I've gained 15 lbs and that's not helping my back any.

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
what about walking on the treadmill and altering the incline and speed.

or water aerobics.. my grandma loves it

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, but I guess I should've mentioned I work out at home. When I did run, I just ran up the street.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I try to do light weight workouts as fast as i can, leg lifts while laying on the ground and then crunch without letting your back or legs touch the ground... i sweat like crazy when i do it.

Then i take a super hot steam shower to help keep my body heat up for another 15 minutes.

Always hydrate if your gonna do this though, cant tell you how many times i got really light headed in the shower cause of this.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
Any pools in your area? Swimming is awesome for the body and not to mention enjoyable.

~GX

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
An elliptical is impact-free and no jarring, but I understand your lower spinal problems so that may be out. My only other suggestion would be swimming. You could try a hand-bike, but those don't but too many cals.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
If you've gained 15 pounds since ceasing cardio is isn't the lack of cardio, it's the lack of discipline in your diet. You do not need to do cardio to lose weight, period.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
My diets fine as far as no junk. The weight gain has been over the last 9 months or so...it just creeped up on me. If anything I still eat big to get big, but the caloritic expenditure from cardio isn't there anymore. Plus I changed jobs a few months ago from one where I was always moving to a job where I drive alot or sit at a desk.

As far as diet goes, I have already modified the calories to be less since my activity has decreased. I'm now looking for the extra oomp to raise my metabolism back.

I may drop my poundages and go for a non-stop circuit style training for a month or so.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Jumping rope($20) BOA 10FT

Rowing machine ($100)

Bicycle or stationary bicycle($100)

WALKING(FREE) Excellent LIC

Light-heavy sparring (My favorite) all you need is MMA gloves, a mouth piece and a warm body

Rough sex(warm or cold body)

Naked Flying

Air Swimming

Bear Blasting

Hump catting

400 BABIES!!!!

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Below is a copy and paste i have saved from a thread made here awhile back about the benefits of water. Not really cardio specific but it may be of interest to you for your condition. I also like Steveophs suggestions.

I've noticed a big decrease in injury pain since i started drinking a LOT of water.

Joints-Water lubricates our joints. The cartilage tissues found at the ends of long bones and between the vertebrae of the spine hold a lot of water, which serves as a lubricant during the movement of the joint. Joint pain frequently decreases with increased water intake and flexing exercises to bring more circulation to the joints.

Back-75% of the upper body weight is supported by the water volume that is stored in the spinal disc core. 25% is supported by the fibrous materials around the disc. Back pain is frequently alleviated with hydration.

Jag

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Jumping rope($20) BOA 10FT

Rowing machine ($100)

Bicycle or stationary bicycle($100)

WALKING(FREE) Excellent LIC

Light-heavy sparring (My favorite) all you need is MMA gloves, a mouth piece and a warm body

Rough sex(warm or cold body)

Naked Flying

Air Swimming

Bear Blasting

Hump catting

400 BABIES!!!!
Omen, i'm confused with some of these. How about some illustations and brief description to go along with the names of these!! :D

SMOKEPALADIN

SMOKEPALADIN

Awards
  • Established
Swimming sounds like a great alternative for you.