Signs you've gone keto?

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:run:Hi guys what are the tell tale signs your in the zone on a keto diet?

Apart from signs are there any medical kits i can buy to tell me for definate?

Much appreciated

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
You can buy strips you urinate on that change color according to your levels. Some of those colors indicate you are in ketosis. You can get them at your local pharmacy.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thanks just had my gf buy me some on her lunch break, 2 more questions.

How long does it usually take the body to enter ketosis on
<40g carbs per day AND would Xtend be ok to use whilst on a strict keto diet, im assuming so as there are no carbs but i may be wrong,

thanks gents

Julio R

Awards
when you use the urine test don't get frustrated if it comes out negative and you know you been on ketosis for a few days, it might be that your drinking to much water, water hides the ketones in the urine.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
thanks just had my gf buy me some on her lunch break, 2 more questions.

How long does it usually take the body to enter ketosis on
<40g carbs per day AND would Xtend be ok to use whilst on a strict keto diet, im assuming so as there are no carbs but i may be wrong,

thanks gents
You should be aiming for under 20g. 40g is pretty high for keto.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
:run:Hi guys what are the tell tale signs your in the zone on a keto diet?

Apart from signs are there any medical kits i can buy to tell me for definate?

Much appreciated
Pretty much if your carbs are limited you don't need to look for any signs. But as far as physical signs you need to figure out what you normally do while you enter ketosis. Some people are prone to get headaches when entering the first few days of keto, some people get tired. If you get any drastic weight loss over a day or two, if your breath smells like ketones, things like that.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ive really been trying to get it under 30 and its a huge struggle, im eating no carbs directly, but when i count up carbs in peanut butter, nuts, eggs, linseed etc in the quantities i have to eat to get my fat intake, combined with my veggies then its hitting around the 30-35g of carb mark.

Im not sure where else i can loose them but still get 200g of healthy fats per day.

I do drink a ton of water, around 6 litres a day sometimes more, ill look out for the piss smell.

My breath was stinking today, went through 3 packs of chewing gum (sugar free)/

How about the Xtend amino blend, this ok to take?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Try harder. I've been on a 5k calorie diet with 19 carbs.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
My piss smells when I get into keto

Funny you say that I find the same thing happens to me and it changes smell pretty drasticly on carb loading days.

Breath also changes some days seems worse then others

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Funny you say that I find the same thing happens to me and it changes smell pretty drasticly on carb loading days.

Breath also changes some days seems worse then others
During a ketotic state you can develop what's known as "Acetone Breath." It's a sweet smelling odor that is very indicative of an advanced ketotic state. Becareful when you get to this point. A prolonged state of metabolic acidosis is not a good thing in the long run. It's very effective in weightloss, but if prolonged for any significant time has the potential to cause medical issues.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the heads up never had really thought that much into it. As I said it is not a constant thing but seems to come and go with diffrent days.

I must say though this diet is one heck of a fat burner. I had used it back in the day for the track team and it keep amazing me to this day!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the heads up never had really thought that much into it. As I said it is not a constant thing but seems to come and go with diffrent days.

I must say though this diet is one heck of a fat burner. I had used it back in the day for the track team and it keep amazing me to this day!
It can come and go depending on a few factors. If you notice it's prolonged, i'd change it up though.

No doubt, a great fatburner! :D

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
I would think that the weekly carb up should take care of this completely. Depending on what you mean by prolonged.

Overall this is the best I have found for fat burning and muscle retension. When coupled with your fat burner of choice (I like a little stim to keep energy up) it really makes for a great combo

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think that the weekly carb up should take care of this completely. Depending on what you mean by prolonged.

Overall this is the best I have found for fat burning and muscle retension. When coupled with your fat burner of choice (I like a little stim to keep energy up) it really makes for a great combo
Agreed. It should mitigate it enough to prevent any real issues.

HarryManback

HarryManback

Awards
"The ketogenic diet is a high fat, adequate protein, low carbohydrate diet"

Is that right? I have never heard of a Ketogenic diet, and am always looking for new plans to try.

HarryManback

HarryManback

Awards
Nevermind, just read the post a couple down. :run:

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
During a ketotic state you can develop what's known as "Acetone Breath." It's a sweet smelling odor that is very indicative of an advanced ketotic state. Becareful when you get to this point. A prolonged state of metabolic acidosis is not a good thing in the long run. It's very effective in weightloss, but if prolonged for any significant time has the potential to cause medical issues.
Isn't it only a danger for people in the form of diabetic ketoacidosis?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Isn't it only a danger for people in the form of diabetic ketoacidosis?
Not necessarily. Any metabolic acid/base imbalance in the body has the potential to cause issues if left in a prolonged state. While diabetic ketoacidosis is a much bigger issue due to the state of hyperglycemia, dehydration, and severe electolyte imbalances, any metabolic acidosis has the potential to cause health issues.

Your body utilizes compensatory mechanisms to control this acid/base balance through routes of, respiratory (blowing off CO2), renal (expells hydrogen ions in the urine), and the buffer system mainly sodium bicarbonate(NaHCO3-) neutaralizing the threat. This helps to keep that PH somewhat in a normal range and prevent major issues. Diabetics have a whole different dynamic add in as to why it's so deadly.

Diabetic Ketoacidosis in its acute stages is a medical emergency due to the severe dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities. This is mainly due because the body uses water to rid its system of some of the influx of unusable glucose. A high concentration of glucose causes an osmotic gradient that pulls intracellular fluids out and are expelled as a result. It's really the horrible electrolyte issues that will result as to why it's so deadly.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
See, i've only heard of / read of ketoacidosis in the form of diabetic ketoacidosis and alcohol ketoacidosis being dangerous, diabetic K.A. doing what you described because of low insulin levels and alcoholic K.A. performing similarly in a domino effect.

It just boggles me a bit on how a normal healthy person under normal circumstances could have elevated ketones into a dangerous range.

And another response to the original question. whenever I start the day off getting back into keto, well, starting over on keto, I tend to take breaks off to bulk since financially bulking in keto is out of the question for now, I always get tired around 6-7 hours after initiating ketosis.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
You should be aiming for under 20g. 40g is pretty high for keto.

There are some variations of the keto diet that allow up to 50 grams of carbs a day. Not just TKD but UDv2 as well.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
There are some variations of the keto diet that allow up to 50 grams of carbs a day. Not just TKD but UDv2 as well.
Also, you can't really count carbs from high fiberous veggies, as its mainly just fiber anyways, now if its fruit on the other hand....

Also, don't forget that sugar free gum still has carbs from sugar alcohol, which most sugar free gum uses.

~GX

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ty for the responses guys much appreciated.

Yes most of the carbs i was counting were from veggies and nut / nut products.

typically how long does it take to enter a state of ketosis? days? weeks?

i ask because ive been on the diet for a week now and took a urine test tonight and it came back on the extreme end of negative i.e. no levels of ketones found.

Just wondering if i need to manipulate my diet more or do i just need to give it more time.

:whiner:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Weeks, supposedly.

Thomas- for me bulking on Keto is only about 20-25 dollars more a week than cutting; a difference between 4500 calories and 2200 calories. It does suck having to pay more. Sometimes I just can't get the **** I need. If I have to cut back it usually comes out of refeed fund.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I can imagine. Right now for cutting I move between 1800-2000 calories usually. I just have no job at all right now, so I'm sustaining my diet off of the money I had saved over, which would take me far if I only had to pay for my diet.

Refeed wise...thats what family and friends are for :toofunny:

I generally have been saving money on this diet. I hate when they don't have stuff I need, there were a good two weeks were this store I go to didn't have ground beef but was filled to the brim with lean ground turkey.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
ty for the responses guys much appreciated.

Yes most of the carbs i was counting were from veggies and nut / nut products.

typically how long does it take to enter a state of ketosis? days? weeks?

i ask because ive been on the diet for a week now and took a urine test tonight and it came back on the extreme end of negative i.e. no levels of ketones found.

Just wondering if i need to manipulate my diet more or do i just need to give it more time.

:whiner:
About 2-3 days to enter ketosis, about 3 weeks into the deepest stages of ketosis.

Those urinalysis strips can give false negatives from time to time.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
Im not sure where else i can loose them but still get 200g of healthy fats per day.

My breath was stinking today, went through 3 packs of chewing gum (sugar free)/
Damn. What's your bf % roughly?

3 packs? Damn, again. That's ~42 sticks, right?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
i would say the gum has to be cut back, brush your teeth more often through the day but cut back on the gum.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Im in work 10-14 hours a day and i meet a lot of executive types, having bad breath aint an option, ill get some breath spray.

Im currently sitting at 280lbs and roughly 25% bodyfat, i had a bad carcrash earlier this year and slipped into a deep depression which resulted in gaining 8 stone (14lbs to a stone for the USA guys).

I was at about 11% bodyfat before it at a guess and in the shape of my life cardio wise.

200g fat about right for my guesstimated lean mass? or is my math worse than i thought lol

weighing every 9 days, so weigh in day is monday, proof will be in the pudding i guess, which is ironic as my current appearance is not too disimilar to a pudding right now.

thanks guys

jester87

Awards
hey, gum contains ALOT of carbs if you chew through 3packs no matter if its sugar free or not... i try to chew less than 5-6 pieces a day. i get this bad breath when i wake up too!

but i think there is a way to counter the bad breath: you just need to eat alkaline foods like broccoli! to neutralize the acidic values! I read that on gameover from cutdiet!

for me it took a 8-9 days to enter the deepest stage of ketosis. my ketotest were reporting 150++mg/dL ketogens in my piss. it was really really dark dark purple! i have around 20% bodyfat so i only do carb up every two weeks... gonna see how it works out next week (no carb up this weekend).

and to OP:
you need FIRST to get your body to adapt to ketosis. this will take anywhere form 7-12days or more. at this time its best you didnt eat any carbs at all. maybe 5g max. after that adapation period you can begin to add carbs into your food.
from what i read from dr mauro pasqual, if you do well on the diet, you should be in the ketosis all the time. you should still be burning fat while filling up your glycogen storage. then it should only take around 8hours or something after you've finished your carb up before you see positive again on the ketotest. so say you begin carb up on friday evening and quit on saturday evening, then when you wake up on sunday and do a ketotest it should report a few ketogens in your piss... i did carb up on saturday and ended it on sunday afternoon, on monday afternoon i was back in ketosis, so from personal experience i works. it doesnt need to take several days to enter ketosis again!

edit: oh btw, because of your high bodyfat you should either do carb up once every two weeks, or if you wanna carb up every week, then the carb up should consist of ONE MEAL only. and that one meal would be in macro 60c/30p/10f. aaaaand your diet calories should be your lean body mass in lbs times 18 minus 1000kcal. so you should eat only 2700kcal or something right now. you can raise this when your bodyfat gets lower (and you get more lean body mass). i do a 2200kcal diet at a weight of 190lbs. and i lose 1-2lbs a week.
and xtend is doesnt have any carbs or anything except maybe sweetners which i dont know much about, so drink it like crazy. unless you buy the grapefruit/melon xtend, which i remember seeing had around 10g carbs per 100g or something.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
having read several articles and logs on ketosis i thought i had it nailed, after reading the responses her im glad i asked.

I was thinking of having 2 carb meals only actually, one PWO tonight and one tomorrow around 1pm.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
hey, gum contains ALOT of carbs if you chew through 3packs no matter if its sugar free or not... i try to chew less than 5-6 pieces a day. i get this bad breath when i wake up too!

but i think there is a way to counter the bad breath: you just need to eat alkaline foods like broccoli! to neutralize the acidic values! I read that on gameover from cutdiet!

for me it took a 8-9 days to enter the deepest stage of ketosis. my ketotest were reporting 150++mg/dL ketogens in my piss. it was really really dark dark purple! i have around 20% bodyfat so i only do carb up every two weeks... gonna see how it works out next week (no carb up this weekend).

and to OP:
you need FIRST to get your body to adapt to ketosis. this will take anywhere form 7-12days or more. at this time its best you didnt eat any carbs at all. maybe 5g max. after that adapation period you can begin to add carbs into your food.
from what i read from dr mauro pasqual, if you do well on the diet, you should be in the ketosis all the time. you should still be burning fat while filling up your glycogen storage. then it should only take around 8hours or something after you've finished your carb up before you see positive again on the ketotest. so say you begin carb up on friday evening and quit on saturday evening, then when you wake up on sunday and do a ketotest it should report a few ketogens in your piss... i did carb up on saturday and ended it on sunday afternoon, on monday afternoon i was back in ketosis, so from personal experience i works. it doesnt need to take several days to enter ketosis again!

edit: oh btw, because of your high bodyfat you should either do carb up once every two weeks, or if you wanna carb up every week, then the carb up should consist of ONE MEAL only. and that one meal would be in macro 60c/30p/10f. aaaaand your diet calories should be your lean body mass in lbs times 18 minus 1000kcal. so you should eat only 2700kcal or something right now. you can raise this when your bodyfat gets lower (and you get more lean body mass). i do a 2200kcal diet at a weight of 190lbs. and i lose 1-2lbs a week.
and xtend is doesnt have any carbs or anything except maybe sweetners which i dont know much about, so drink it like crazy. unless you buy the grapefruit/melon xtend, which i remember seeing had around 10g carbs per 100g or something.

Deepest stage of ketosis doesn't have to do with the level of ketones present in the urine. It has to do with the amount of glucose the brain utilizes to operate. The amount gradually drops the longer you are in ketosis.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Deepest stage of ketosis doesn't have to do with the level of ketones present in the urine. It has to do with the amount of glucose the brain utilizes to operate. The amount gradually drops the longer you are in ketosis.
So does that mean that long term ketogenics are a disadvantage?

How long do you guys think it takes to get back into keto after a 2 day carb up?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
So does that mean that long term ketogenics are a disadvantage?

How long do you guys think it takes to get back into keto after a 2 day carb up?

No not at all. With the brain requiring a lower amount of glucose to support itself that means that the body would have to break down less protein and less fat to some small extent. Protein has around 52 percent of its value that can be broken down into glucose for the brain, I think the glyceride portion of the fat can be broken down as well but only at 2-3 percent. I would consider it an advantage for long term.

I think within a day or two i'm back into keto.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
Heh, I've been wondering why I had kinda of an "onion breathe" in the mornings as of late, same with the wee...it all makes perfect sense now!

The first month I was doing this diet I had my first cheat meal on my 15th day (to get body fat adapted), then every 7 days after that. And now I I typically eat 2 carbs meals a week and kind of make it a cheat "half day" rather than a single meal. I work nights so my "days" are more or less "periods of darkness" and breakfast is the last solid meal I eat everyday, then 3 hours later I have my pre-sleep shake and hit the sack.

On my cheat half days I like to have a nice breakfast with french toast, 2 eggs w/cheese, sometimes a doughnut, and some Apple or Orange juice. Then that evening after I wake up I'll just add potatos or rice to my meal, unless there is spaghetti or lasagnia around!

Good Posting!

~GX

GXbcmFTO

Awards
Nope, but it tastes good lol, thats why I just have it once a week with what I call my cheat "bfast". Those 2 meals I can have w/e I feel like eating, and the second meal I usually try to keep it fairly clean, unless there is lasagnia/spaghetti around.

The juice was/is the hardest thing that I had to give up, to me there isn't anything better than a tall glass of OJ a couple times a day.

~GX

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Heh, I've been wondering why I had kinda of an "onion breathe" in the mornings as of late, same with the wee...it all makes perfect sense now!

The first month I was doing this diet I had my first cheat meal on my 15th day (to get body fat adapted), then every 7 days after that. And now I I typically eat 2 carbs meals a week and kind of make it a cheat "half day" rather than a single meal. I work nights so my "days" are more or less "periods of darkness" and breakfast is the last solid meal I eat everyday, then 3 hours later I have my pre-sleep shake and hit the sack.

On my cheat half days I like to have a nice breakfast with french toast, 2 eggs w/cheese, sometimes a doughnut, and some Apple or Orange juice. Then that evening after I wake up I'll just add potatos or rice to my meal, unless there is spaghetti or lasagnia around!

Good Posting!

~GX
Im a little lost, you have only two half days of carbing up?

GXbcmFTO

Awards
Yes, I'm not following a carb cycling or ckd diet as it is. I am doing something that works for me.

Also, I consider them more as a cheat meal than carb-ups.

To be honest I could go forever without hitting up any carbs (minus 1 apple/kiwi day and green veggies) and be perfectly happy and feel great.

~GX

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I'm not following a carb cycling or ckd diet as it is. I am doing something that works for me.

Also, I consider them more as a cheat meal than carb-ups.

To be honest I could go forever without hitting up any carbs (minus 1 apple/kiwi day and green veggies) and be perfectly happy and feel great.

~GX
OOOH! I get you, I was just confused a bit. I wouldn't consider them cheat meals if they serve a valid purpose, which they do :).

GXbcmFTO

Awards
OOOH! I get you, I was just confused a bit. I wouldn't consider them cheat meals if they serve a valid purpose, which they do :).
So I shouldnt feel guilty about eating the french toast, waffles, or the pots, rice, or lasagnia eh? For some reason I always do lol.

~GX

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
So I shouldnt feel guilty about eating the french toast, waffles, or the pots, rice, or lasagnia eh? For some reason I always do lol.

~GX

Are you exercising at all?

I don't think you should feel that bad.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
Are you exercising at all?

I don't think you should feel that bad.
Oh yeah!!! I still need to add a few things to my workout tracker tho. I have all this weeks so far up there and some from the last couple weeks. I just needa put some full body circuits in there.

I workout 4 days a week.

1. Chest/Upper Back
2. Full Body Circuit #1
*Rest Day*
3. Legs/Lower Back
*Rest Day*
4. Full Body Circuit #2
*Rest Day*

~GX

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Ahh your working out, using glycogen, eating what your eating is fine, you shouldn't feel bad. Your basically doing what a cyclic diet is.

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Another question if you dont mind gents, whilst on keto do you follow the workout posted with this article further down the page or do you stick with your own?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
What I do in common with most CKD articles that you see on training is the depletion workout. For my chest, back, etc days, I dont follow the routines they suggest.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
Generally I follow the workout they posted in some sites. The further into the week I get I do tend to feel less of a drive and find it harder to do all my sets. As such doing my core heavy workouts at the first 3 days after refeed is what I like.

The last few days I fill in with cardio and the day of the refeed I do a depletion workout.

Seems to work good for me but again this is one of those person to person thing.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
I just do my routine, which I wouldn't call normal because I only do this routine for 3 months then change it up to a DC workout for a couple months then back to the one I posted above.

After doing the cirucits for a couple weeks, every workout after that kind of becomes a circuit type workout for me, especially when my w/o partner is gone...I hate sitting still and resting in between sets!

~GX

GXbcmFTO

Awards
Ahh your working out, using glycogen, eating what your eating is fine, you shouldn't feel bad. Your basically doing what a cyclic diet is.
:D Thanks Tom,

Check out my diet tracker if you get some spare time.

Did it a bit different today, second meal and last meal will be carb heavy. Already have it all mapped out. 190g carbs for me for the night, only got 2 meals left go to. Body is a bit shakey from the sugars or something.

~GX

0-hero

0-hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Weigh in day today, after 10 days of keto busting balls ive put on nearly 3lbs lol.

Diet has been 101%, exercise has been 101% so im not sure where ive gone wrong, will drop the cals by another 300 this week.