Carpal Tunnel Surgury

smike319

Awards
Was just diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome in "both" hands the other day. The doctor claims it is bad enough to warrant surgury on both, so i figured i'd get it over with all at one time so i can get back to training ASAP. You may not have seen it, but i started a thread a while back complaining of numbness in my hand and tingling (especially at night) well decided to go see a doctor and this is the result. i am really getting frustrated with recent setbacks that i have had do to injuries. earlier in the year i had just finished a MAG10 cycle and was really swole, and about a week after the cycle i severed a tendon in my hand. lost most gains, then came back with a T1Pro cycle i finished about 3-4weeks ago with very impressive results, now this! i feel like i'm waisting my time, effort, energy, and money at this point, this really fucking sucks!
alright i feel a little better now, guess i just needed to vent a little. anyway my surgury date is set for 11/20 so as long as i don't change my mind between now and then, i guess i'll be starting all over again, say around January 1. i just hope the M1T is still available then!
oh yea and the original reason i started this thread in the first place was to find out what i can do "if anything" to try and keep as much of my gains as possible while i'm on injured reserve. doc says recovery time should take around 3-4weeks. i need to know anything that can help, whether it be nutrition, supps, alt exercizes, anything at all would be greatly appreciated.
thanx bro's

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
In all seriousness, have you thought about going to a acupuncturist or holistic healer?

smike319

Awards
Honestly, no. Can't say I have much belief in either one of those styles of treatment. Maybe it's ignorance on my part but that's my belief. Truly just want to get this done and over with as fast as possible so I can get back to "MY LIFE"

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well Chinese medicine has been around for over 3000 years, but your right they probably don't know what they are doing. I would trust the American doctors that get kick backs from prescription drug companies as well.

smike319

Awards
damn dude i didn't say that anybody didn't know what they were doing, just being honest about my beliefs. so why don't you quote me on when i said anything about somebody not knowing what the f%$#!@ they were doing! wasn't dogging your beliefs or opinion so don't be such a smart ass.
oh yea and i'll bet theyre all in on it "it's a big fucking conspiracy"
also i did say it could be "my" ignorance for not entertaining that option, but then again it is "my" option to do so. nothing more nothing less. never discounting or putting your opinion down.
thanks anyway

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You sound pissed with good reason but I must share this with you.
I had the same problem at night with my hands tingling and falling asleep.I went to a doctor and he said the same thing Carpal tunnel so they gave me a date with for surgery.In the mean time a friend of mine gave me a nunber of a Chriopractor I figured what do I have to loose.He gave me a complete assesment and determined I had a pinched nerve in my neck that was causing the numbness in my hands after 5 or 6 visits all the pain and numbness was gone.It's not to say that the surgery is not needed but it's worth a try Good luck...

lovetoeat

Awards
I've always thought surgery was ineffective and the problem usually returns. I would explore other options first, accupuncture, massage etc.

Alternative medicine is very misunderstood but is becoming more widely accepted, I wouldn't discount anything just yet.

smike319

Awards
You sound pissed with good reason but I must share this with you.
I had the same problem at night with my hands tingling and falling asleep.I went to a doctor and he said the same thing Carpal tunnel so they gave me a date with for surgery.In the mean time a friend of mine gave me a nunber of a Chriopractor I figured what do I have to loose.He gave me a complete assesment and determined I had a pinched nerve in my neck that was causing the numbness in my hands after 5 or 6 visits all the pain and numbness was gone.It's not to say that the surgery is not needed but it's worth a try Good luck...
yes that did rub me the wrong way, the way it was presented to me anyway.
so when you went to the doctor that diagnosed you with carpal tunnel, what test or test's did he run on you to come to his diagnoses? i did get a second opinion and got the same response. the doctors used different methods to come to the same diagnoses. one tapped on my wrist and i felt like a shock in my hand, the other used an electronic shocking type device (not sure what it's called) that was hooked to a computer that showed how strong or week the nerve response was. they did a few other things but that's the just of it.
the last thing i want right now is more down time, so i'm thinking seriously about giving the chiropractor a visit.
thanks a lot for the insight and "useful info":)

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
They did a set of X-ray's and the same tapping of the wrist.there was also a machine that I had to grip firmly and the doctor hit a pressure point in my wrist that felt like someone taking a knife to it..This was about 15 years ago so I don't remember the chain of events but the Chriopractor noticed I was walking crooked one of my legs was longer than the other and my neck had very little movement side to side or front to back.I also remember some type of ultaviolet therapy as well as heat..I don't blame you for not wanting to drag this out keep your appointment but try to see a Chriopractor in the mean time or at least call one on the phone, they can tell you right then and there if they think they can help..Hope things work out for you Smike I know having this problem sux ass..Good luck.

smike319

Awards
thanks for sharing your experience with this type injury with me. it has been very useful to me. i forgot to mention one of the doctors that diagnosed this is my wifes boss. i know it doesn't mean he can't be wrong or even that he still wouldn't try and capitalize on my situation, but it does give me a little bit more piece of mind about the diagnoses. also they are reviewing the tests right now to see if it was to hasty of a decision to do both hands, might get away with just one this time. that would be nice.
so all this said can you or anyone else help me with my original question? is there anything that i can do to minimize losing my gains during my down time? should be roughly 3-4weeks.
thanks again for all the support,
smike319

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hope you didn't get your carpal tunnel syndrome surgery before consulting a Chiropractor, Acupuncturist, or other holistic practitioners. MD's really can't prescribe anything but drugs and surgery. Both surgery and drugs should always be of last resorts to conservative treatments. i see more people who have had permanently bad results from carpal tunnel surgery than good. Be a little more open minded and visit a holistic healer. surgery and drugs will always be there. anyhow, good luck to you.