Damn, Am I really that fat? 26.2% BF 34.4 BMI

tdos

Awards
Okay so I just received my Omron BF meter and I was completely shocked by the results. Has anyone used this before? I know that I am fat, but this seems pretty bad.

I eat terrible, but I go to the gym nearly ever day, 6 days a week worst case. Have been hard at it for the last couple months.

Any ideas or suggestions anyone?

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The answer is in your post. Read it again. If you can't figure it out then you are fat and stupid.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
First welcome to the board!

Second on a slightly more upbeat note... yes, in short if you did a full caliper testing and that was the result then more then likely that is your B/F %

Two things you can do two help yourself
First: why not give us some idea of what you have been doing in the gym

Second as said the BIG anwser is in your post.
I can only put this so many ways but if you want to lose fat and look better there is NO replacement for a good diet.

That being said if you want to reach a goal your going to have to stay away from those "terrible" eating habits and make an effort for the better.

Don't want to sound like an Ahole but sadly these are the facts.

AUTO

Awards
  • Established
Okay so I just received my Omron BF meter and I was completely shocked by the results. Has anyone used this before? I know that I am fat, but this seems pretty bad.

I eat terrible, but I go to the gym nearly ever day, 6 days a week worst case. Have been hard at it for the last couple months.

i used to be the same as you man until i worked out you are what you eat, try some diet supps to get the ball rolling they do help take the edge off

dommer

Banned
Awards

going to the gym isnt going to help you if you eat like ****

garbage in garbage out

i did the same thing for years thinking i go to the gym i can eat what ever i want well i ended up at 202lbs 24.9%bf and was fat cleaned up my diet and dropped 2lbs a week im not at 178 unknown bf but abs are getting closer to the surface everyday clean up the diet youll get more strength and realize how much the fat weight is weighing you down

btw after 10 weeks of clean eating i decided to have a cheat meal of some pizza on opening day of foootball well i realized my body cant handle high fat meals like that anymore it reject all those slices and lets just say it didnt take long for it to work its way out of my system

dommer

Banned
Awards
if you want some help working out some foods that are really good tasteing but not high in fat let me know i got some recipes i made up that i can give you all of them are very flavorful high in protein low in carbs and fat (mostly for dinner)

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
check the recipees forum, lots of good stuff in their, eating healthy really isn't that hard if you know good recipees to make.

I dont worry about eating PERFECT, I can do it, but having a perfect diet is somthing that is hard to hold onto for long term, and then I usually have one day were I just can't do it anymore and kill a few boxes of oreo's, oatmeal pies, and cosmic brownies, not good.

Instead, eat a healthy mix, there are alot of recipees that make a great meal from a nutritional stand-point and still taste great, add some spices/hot sauce or buffalo sauce/reduced fat cheese to your chicken, it may not be as perfect as plain chicken but still very good (nutritional, and tasty), much easier to stick to, and much better than a McDonalds #7

tdos

Awards
Yes, I am fat and somewhat stupid. The worst thing you can do to your body is start your own business, at least from my perspective. Six years ago I was down to 202 lbs.

Even though the responses varied, they are all helpful. It is obvious there is no getting around diet, and to think differently would be more wasted time. So I do appreciate the feedback.

So diet being important, I can work on that. Couple more questions -

1. It seems like people have had good luck with Recreate and DCP. But it seems like DCP is never in stock, any suggestions?

2. Can anyone point in the right direction for understanding target heart rate and where I need to be for burning fat versus just calories?

Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, I am fat and somewhat stupid. The worst thing you can do to your body is start your own business, at least from my perspective. Six years ago I was down to 202 lbs.

Even though the responses varied, they are all helpful. It is obvious there is no getting around diet, and to think differently would be more wasted time. So I do appreciate the feedback.

1. It seems like people have had good luck with Recreate and DCP. But it seems like DCP is never in stock, any suggestions?

2. Can anyone point in the right direction for understanding target heart rate and where I need to be for burning fat versus just calories?

tdos, you've stated that starting your own business was when it all turned upside down. Obviously you are suggesting that you don't have time on your hands to eat properly. Preparation is the key. Cook all your meals in advance and have them in the fridge, ready to take to work. Don't go searching for supplements just yet because they will be useless until you've got your eating habits in check. Every exercise you do that requires physical exertion is a form of cardiovascular training. Don't aim for a certain number on the treadmill or bike. Mix things up! Try high intensity training, boxing/bag kicking, sprints on a track, skipping etc. Everything works. The more muscle you have, the faster your body burns the fat. Lift heavy and start eating correctly :)

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
losing the fat

Bro honestly I would reccomend hyperdrive 3.0+ I took it for 2 and a half months. I dropped 35 pounds. I have also used a product called yellow bullet. I would highly reccommend the hyperdrive though. Like everyone else has said. Its all about your diet. You eat fat u get fat. I am still workin on losing weight so I eat pretty clean except for like 1 or 2 meals where I eat whatever. Just don't eat a lot of carbs late in the night. Do cardio like 20 minutes 3 times a week. I play basketball for my cardio. Me and my boys usually run a game everyday after our workouts. We run full court games. Try different things. First off remember what your goals are, and stick to them. Do you play any sports?

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
Good advise here...
As others an myself have said diet is key to fat loss.

Supplements should only be used to reach things you otherwise could no on your own. Not changing your diet and downing any weightloss pill will hardly if any help.

View these weight loss supplements as helpers that should be used when you reach a point where you fat loss has slowed not as the only way to lose it.

You eat fat u get fat.
Eating fat does not make you fat... eating extreme amounts of calories does (be they from fat/ or carbs). Your body needs fat as such you should have a well balanced diet. Try to make fat sources as healthy as possible. It will of course try to store extra calories you intake as such you should eat below the # of kcals required to keep you where you are now.

You need to find your BMR and shoot for a calorie intake 500-1000 calories below that.

Keep in mind the this is a slow process not a sprint to the finish. It may be painful but when you see the results you will want more! Best of luck. Search around this site or food ideas and diet plans.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established

You probably dont need to use supplements like this one yet, but since everyone in the world seems to want to be lazy and take the shortest/easiest route lately, you probably wont take out advice. And so...availability of DCP can can be checked on in the RPM forum (theres a thread just for it, dsade said they have done a few test runs and are hoping to be shipping it out soon)

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
The answer is in your post. Read it again. If you can't figure it out then you are fat and stupid.

ouch....but it is true. eat better and be consistent.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
here's a perspective calories in a big mac 576

1 can do 45min at a 152hr on the treadmill and only burn about half that much cut out that one big mac and you it doubles the calories you don't have to burn.

tdos

Awards
as bad as this may sound, I have relied way too much on carbs and sugars for energy over the past few years. Which obviously has contributed to becoming a fat ass. I am finding myself low on energy going to the gym after doing my cardio. I pretty much go 6 days a week and do 20-30 minutes of intense cardio (20 minutes if more intense, 30 minutes less intense).

I still have about 5 big bottles of ripped fuel extreme with ephedra. What are people's thoughts about using this in combination with a strict diet?

BTW - thanks for everyone's post reinforcing the healthy food intake part, it is nice to get called on stuff when you are living in denial lala land.

dommer

Banned
Awards
hold of on the supps untill you get your diet straightened out other wise ephedra or no ephedra it wont do ****

try not eating carbs after a certain time (i dont eat carbs after 5pm) and shoot for some thing like 40% of cals froom protein 40% from good carbs (whole wheats, brown rice sweet potatos) and 20% from good fats (olive oil, peanut butter canola oil)

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
as bad as this may sound, I have relied way too much on carbs and sugars for energy over the past few years. Which obviously has contributed to becoming a fat ass. I am finding myself low on energy going to the gym after doing my cardio. I pretty much go 6 days a week and do 20-30 minutes of intense cardio (20 minutes if more intense, 30 minutes less intense).

I still have about 5 big bottles of ripped fuel extreme with ephedra. What are people's thoughts about using this in combination with a strict diet?

BTW - thanks for everyone's post reinforcing the healthy food intake part, it is nice to get called on stuff when you are living in denial lala land.
50 minutes of cardio a day is probably on the high side bro. 15 minutes of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio would probably be more beneficial without the negatives of prolonged cardio (cortisol, muscle wasting)

As for the Ripped Fuel, I say go for it. I would keep the doses low to begin. Drink lots of water.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
hold of on the supps untill you get your diet straightened out other wise ephedra or no ephedra it wont do ****

try not eating carbs after a certain time (i dont eat carbs after 5pm) and shoot for some thing like 40% of cals froom protein 40% from good carbs (whole wheats, brown rice sweet potatos) and 20% from good fats (olive oil, peanut butter canola oil)

Good advice here!

Keep in mind each person has a diffrent responce to food intake. Some like the 40/40/20 others prefer slightly diffrent splits.
I urge you try each one keeping close track of your diet and keep the same workout going. Give each enough time to take effect and see which one you like the most then use that! If that later becomes ineffective you will know what your second best choice was.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

dommer

Banned
Awards
50 minutes of cardio a day is probably on the high side bro. 15 minutes of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardio would probably be more beneficial without the negatives of prolonged cardio (cortisol, muscle wasting)

As for the Ripped Fuel, I say go for it. I would keep the doses low to begin. Drink lots of water.
every one responds differently to cardio and his high intensity may be the same as some peoples low

i personally do 40mins everyday mon-fri plus i warm up on the heavy bag and speed bag every day (until i beat my knuckles raw then i take a weak off i hate gloves)

Ramo machine

Awards
Im exactly the same i bulked up for 2 years eating what ever i wanted but realised that although i was getting big i was also getting fat, i just recently started on this diet tell met what you think boys.

Morning--2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, or oat meals with 4 egg whites mixed

11 am -- protein shake low carbs

afternoon-- 180 grams skinless chicken breast

3pm-- 180 grams tuna in springwater and 30 grams unsalted almonds or cashews

7pm-- 150 grams minced beef or steak with steamed green veggies

9 pm--1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese

dommer

Banned
Awards
Im exactly the same i bulked up for 2 years eating what ever i wanted but realised that although i was getting big i was also getting fat, i just recently started on this diet tell met what you think boys.

Morning--2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites, or oat meals with 4 egg whites mixed

11 am -- protein shake low carbs

afternoon-- 180 grams skinless chicken breast

3pm-- 180 grams tuna in springwater and 30 grams unsalted almonds or cashews

7pm-- 150 grams minced beef or steak with steamed green veggies

9 pm--1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
no where near enough 180grams=6.35 ounces i would atleast bump that number up to the 10-12oz range also doesnt look like your eating enough veggies or carbs

just my oppinion though if that s everything you eat in a day you are probably hungry all the time also redmeat every day may not be the best choice for your heart later on in life and chicken is leaner/cheaper/better for you

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't listen to this guy. he is in pain calling others stupid. remember when someone is mean to you you have to realize they are suffering. There's a difference between constructive criticism and putting people down calling them names. your not doing a good job so far on this board.

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
losin the fat

tdos, you've stated that starting your own business was when it all turned upside down. Obviously you are suggesting that you don't have time on your hands to eat properly. Preparation is the key. Cook all your meals in advance and have them in the fridge, ready to take to work. Don't go searching for supplements just yet because they will be useless until you've got your eating habits in check. Every exercise you do that requires physical exertion is a form of cardiovascular training. Don't aim for a certain number on the treadmill or bike. Mix things up! Try high intensity training, boxing/bag kicking, sprints on a track, skipping etc. Everything works. The more muscle you have, the faster your body burns the fat. Lift heavy and start eating correctly :)
Yeah man get your stupid punk a$$ out of this forum

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't listen to this guy. he is in pain calling others stupid. remember when someone is mean to you you have to realize they are suffering. There's a difference between constructive criticism and putting people down calling them names. your not doing a good job so far on this board.
Read the information I provide in all my posts. It is succinct and to the point. I don't provide sympathy and pats on the back for questions with obvious answers. I tell it how it is. If you honestly think that my first post in this thread is harsh, then you are very naive my friend.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Read the information I provide in all my posts. It is succinct and to the point. I don't provide sympathy and pats on the back for questions with obvious answers. I tell it how it is. If you honestly think that my first post in this thread is harsh, then you are very naive my friend.
there's a difference between putting someone down,calling them fat and stupid and constructive criticism. Hope you learn the difference . Put down artists never make it too the top. Put up artists do..haha I just made that up.....=)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I don't use them. I've used so many tests over the years the results all say something different. I go by the mirror. If I'm fat I know it, if I need to lose a few I know it, if Im in shape I know it.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
there's a difference between putting someone down,calling them fat and stupid and constructive criticism. Hope you learn the difference . Put down artists never make it too the top. Put up artists do..haha I just made that up.....=)
The feedback I provided was constructive, in both instances.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
He is only in pain because unlike the rest of us he benches in the vicinity of 500lbs!!

To the OP, sometimes u need need some harsh words. You clearly stated you eat sh*t food and go to the gym 6 times a week. You're wasting your money on both accounts. Sort your diet out and sort your training out. No need to go 6 times a week, your body needs good rest, good food, and moderate amounts of high intensity cardio. Keep up the bball but its easy to do too much cardio. Like you said you are tired all the time. Low carbs takes getting used to but once the initial week or two is over you will get used to it and start to enjoy it.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
He is only in pain because unlike the rest of us he benches in the vicinity of 500lbs!!

To the OP, sometimes u need need some harsh words. You clearly stated you eat sh*t food and go to the gym 6 times a week. You're wasting your money on both accounts. Sort your diet out and sort your training out. No need to go 6 times a week, your body needs good rest, good food, and moderate amounts of high intensity cardio. Keep up the bball but its easy to do too much cardio. Like you said you are tired all the time. Low carbs takes getting used to but once the initial week or two is over you will get used to it and start to enjoy it.
haha, so we should start judging everyones character in relation to their max bench?

The guy obviously knows that he needs to change some things around in his life, otherwise why would he be here asking for help? Maybe I am naive aswell but calling someone thats asking for help fat and stupid doesn't sound like much help.

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
I've gotta agree here. Clean up the diet, then look into a supp if you choose to do so. Find a good boxing gym/kickboxing gym, I've found these to provide great cardio in the past.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

of course op needs constructive criticism to learn.Everyoen does at a new skill they get into. That is a big difference on Cubs first post then his second. He called op fat and stupid. Th second is okay. the first is not. Regardless hope he learned his lesson.Treat people like you want to be treated.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I don't use them. I've used so many tests over the years the results all say something different. I go by the mirror. If I'm fat I know it, if I need to lose a few I know it, if Im in shape I know it.
Ya I not sure How accurate they are, its not a caliper test. probably would need to see a pic to really see how close it is.

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
of course op needs constructive criticism to learn.Everyoen does at a new skill they get into. That is a big difference on Cubs first post then his second. He called op fat and stupid. Th second is okay. the first is not. Regardless hope he learned his lesson.Treat people like you want to be treated.
No, I did not learn any lesson here, because I didn't need to. What I did learn though, is that a certain individual within this thread has a little sand in his vagina and needs to lighten up. I did not call tdos fat and stupid. I stated that IF he couldn't figure it out he was fat and stupid. Notice how he's accepted my advice, and the advice of others who have offered assistance, yet you're the only one who is whining? Get over it, mate!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, I did not learn any lesson here, because I didn't need to. What I did learn though, is that a certain individual within this thread has a little sand in his vagina and needs to lighten up. I did not call tdos fat and stupid. I stated that IF he couldn't figure it out he was fat and stupid. Notice how he's accepted my advice, and the advice of others who have offered assistance, yet you're the only one who is whining? Get over it, mate!
I don't think he has accepted your advice. Lets ask him

tdo's have you accepted Cubs advice?

If he cannot figure it out he can always ask me and Ill be glad to share what I know.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
smeaton, cub is a good guy and very helpful as well, just like you are. sometimes Australian's (cub & australian made) just get straight to the point and don't piss around with being nice when it's better to get straight to the point, same with us nz'ers, we call it how we see it and sometimes it comes off a little harsh but that's why we do so well it the end, we don't cotton ball everything nor tip toe through the tulips, we just get to the nitty gritty as call it how we see it.

i think that the first postof cub's you commented on could have been interrupted a few different ways, how about we call it as lost in translation?

The o/p has already stated that he's fat and if you read cub's first post you will see that he didn't call him fat or stupid he said "if you can't figure it out then you are fat and stupid." . "then" is the keyword here IMHO.

The o/p himself as admitted to being fat and stupid.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
smeaton, cub is a good guy and very helpful as well, just like you are. sometimes Australian's (cub & australian made) just get straight to the point and don't piss around with being nice when it's better to get straight to the point, same with us nz'ers, we call it how we see it and sometimes it comes off a little harsh but that's why we do so well it the end, we don't cotton ball everything nor tip toe through the tulips, we just get to the nitty gritty as call it how we see it.

i think that the first postof cub's you commented on could have been interrupted a few different ways, how about we call it as lost in translation?

The o/p has already stated that he's fat and if you read cub's first post you will see that he didn't call him fat or stupid he said "if you can't figure it out then you are fat and stupid." . "then" is the keyword here IMHO.

The o/p himself as admitted to being fat and stupid.
:icon_lol: That's EXACTLY something I would say......:icon_lol:

tdos

Awards
What I can say is that I do appreciate the feedback ~ from everyone. Everyone has their style and I am grateful that I have a thick skin so I can see the substance of what everyone has taken the time to communicate.

What I do know is that the Omron BF meter really sucks, the readings vary so much +/- 10% over the course of a few days. I would think that is physically impossible for BF to fluctuate like that.

Also the worst part of cleaning up the diet is the business lunches that my customers look forward too. It sure seems like it is impossible to eat out without eating crap. I have to work hard to keep my customers happy, especially considering the money that is on the line and how flaky the economy is these days.

Obviously I am new to this board, but I am impressed by the people and their experiences, this seems like a great place. So please keep your thoughts and feedback coming, it is all appreciated.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
Depending where you eat at many places now have a healthly menu. I can't say for sure but you may be able to eat decently without freaking out the people you work with. It also I would think gives you something to talk about. Health in the general public is always a topic worth talking about.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also the worst part of cleaning up the diet is the business lunches that my customers look forward too. It sure seems like it is impossible to eat out without eating crap. I have to work hard to keep my customers happy, especially considering the money that is on the line and how flaky the economy is these days.
totally not true. Any nice restaurant has some amount of healthy choices. grilled salmon with steaded veggies is a good one. Basically anything grilled, in a reasonable portion size. So a small steak, with broccoli etc. Most restaurants will fix something to order for you as well, i'm not afraid to order off menu. And if you feel like you have to order a dessert to make the client comfortable, order one and take just a couple of bites, and use that time instead to talk while he's eating his.

Post some pictures of yourself. We can give you a good estimate of real bodyfat. those handheld meters base it on capacitance and resistance, so a difference in hydration changes the reading.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
tdos, look into DCP by RPN, sold at nutraplanet.com

tdos

Awards
thanks b unit

also, this is probably a stupid question - any good advice for taking pictures of yourself?

Kalakbar

Awards
thanks b unit

also, this is probably a stupid question - any good advice for taking pictures of yourself?
Best bet is to have someone take the picture for you with a digital camera. You can photo yourself in the mirror, but those pictures tend to look like bullocks.

I would definitely pay more attention to the BF %, instead of the BMI. The BMI is a good guideline for people who do not work out, but it straight out penalizes muscle mass in its calculations. Much better to be 145 lbs and sickly than a shredded bodybuilder at 200 lbs.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
thanks b unit

i have someone take a pic of me unflexed from behind and from the front, then double bicep flex from front and then back.

i make sure to take the photos in the same place, under similar lighting conditions every few months.

handheld bodyfat meters SUCK donkey ballz. they are horribly unreliable as my dawg, easy already mentioned.

at the gym, ask a trainer to do a 5 or 7 point caliper reading. its worth a few bucks to get a reliable reading. then you have a standard to measure yourself in a few months.

since i work at a gym, i just tell the trainer to get off his lazy arse and take my bodyfat biotch

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MikeSumthin Training Forum 9
thebigt Supplements 30
Nutrition / Health 4
Supplements 10
mixedup Anabolics 4