doing fasted cardio now what

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
ive decided to do morning fasted cardio to lose some of those last stubborn pounds, my plan is to wake up, take my suppliments eg lean xtreme hyperdrol, down a whey shake and be doing the cardio within half an hour.

my question is what sort of cardio would be best for me to avoid catabolism im thinking it will be low-moderate intensity. im 20 years of age and pretty fit as i play football. i was thinking maybe a 20-30 minute jog.

all of this sound alright? any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated cheers

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
20-30 incline walk on treadmill. work for me about 4 mph incline around 10-13

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
I would nix the whey shake before the AM cardio though.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I HIGHLY suggest you look into HIIT cardio. It's the best way to burn body fat in my opinion, and can be easily incorporated into your workout plan. It only takes about 15-20 minutes a day and will get your metabolism revved up to burn those last few lbs of fat. Google it for some great ideas.

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
i did say i would have the shake before cardio. is that wat u were saying fighter cowboy??

steveoph i figured any high intesity in a fasted state would be more likely to cause catabolism

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i did say i would have the shake before cardio. is that wat u were saying fighter cowboy??

steveoph i figured any high intesity in a fasted state would be more likely to cause catabolism
Cause catabolism? after 15-20 minutes of HIT cardio?....

If you have AIDS, if you sleep 1 hour a night, if your diet is horrible, if you workout for 15 hours everyday....Sure.

The human body isn't a fragile little butterfly.

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
easy bro, im new to it. i got no idea. thats just what i thought, after reading the other threads on fasted cardio. i know hiit is the best type of cardio for fat burning i was just under the impression that any high intensity would be more likely to burn more muscle in a fasted state. which i guess im not that worried about ill look into it. so many people have different opinions on fasted cardio thats all.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
easy bro, im new to it. i got no idea. thats just what i thought, after reading the other threads on fasted cardio. i know hiit is the best type of cardio for fat burning i was just under the impression that any high intensity would be more likely to burn more muscle in a fasted state. which i guess im not that worried about ill look into it. so many people have different opinions on fasted cardio thats all.
Then try HIT, if you don't like it, drop it!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-is-the-primal-blueprint/

Deccadick

Deccadick

Awards
If you can find a whey shake out there that doesnt contain Garbage like artificail sweeteners, corn syrup, and soy that would also be a miracle. And you would benefit from it!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I HIGHLY suggest you look into HIIT cardio. It's the best way to burn body fat in my opinion, and can be easily incorporated into your workout plan. It only takes about 15-20 minutes a day and will get your metabolism revved up to burn those last few lbs of fat. Google it for some great ideas.
:goodpost: x2

You will shred the fat. I usually do HIIT in a 45minute spin class, but have also done it in the pool.

Take some BCAAs before and during to avoid catabolism - don't need whey.

Also, from experince PowerFull is a good supp for this - not only does it increase the pain barrier, apparently it has some fat-burning qualities to it in a fasted state.

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
i dont have any bcaas i normally just use the whey, as its got a good amount of bcaas in it, will that work?. maybe i should look into some bcaas. probly wont be til next order from nutraplanet as they r expensive over here in aus. so until then will my whey be working?
im thinking beach sprints? maybe some road biking?

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
If you can find a whey shake out there that doesnt contain Garbage like artificail sweeteners, corn syrup, and soy that would also be a miracle. And you would benefit from it!
:goodpost: :clap2:

Both Omen and JKP made good points as well,
go for HIIT, short & painful but very effective. Also true: 20-30 min cardio is VERY UNLIKELY to cause any catabolism, regardless of the intensity. If you want to kick off your fat burning the best way is on empty stomach and so taking a whey shake b4 cardio kind of defeats this purpose. BCAAs are great for preventing catabolism on a cut but personally I wouldn't bother taking them unless the fasted cardio is over 40min.
Good luck !

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
everyone else reckon whey shake defeats the purpose?? i was only using it for its bcaa content. anyone strongly support use of plain bcaas?

fightercowboy

fightercowboy

Awards
  • Established
Definitely no whey before fasted cardio. Thats what the term fasted means. No caloric intake. I also agree that over 30 mins worth, use some BCAAs.

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
rido sweet ill get some bcaas and do some hiit. are the bcaas capsules as efficient as the powder? or should i just get the powder. lots of capsules over here but not much pure powder.

prob wont be putting an order in frm nutra for a while either

?
thanks guys

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
caps are much more expensive for same dosing. you want to take something like 10g of bcaas pre/peri fasted cardio...

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
everyone else reckon whey shake defeats the purpose?? i was only using it for its bcaa content. anyone strongly support use of plain bcaas?

I posted this on another thread but here you go ;)

Protein powders often contain high amounts of BCAAs. However, these aminos work best when taken on empty stomach, at least that seems to be the most poplular view.

BCAAs are predominant aminos in the muscle. Supplementing with BCAAs helps recovery and it is also beneficial in maintaining strength when cutting. BCAAs not only promote protein synthesis but also reduce protein degradation. Thus, supplementing with BCAAs is particularly beneficial pre- and post workout. In these instances you want to flood the muscles with BCAA rapidly. Even though whey (particularly WPI), is a fast digesting protein, BCAA in whey are bound to other amino acids and so it takes several hours before they are released into the bloodstream during digestion. In contrast, in their free form, BCAAs are rapidly absorbed from the intestine.

You are from Australia right ?
If so, the cheapest brand of BCAA in powder that I came across is Black Widow Hardcore
http://bestbuysupplements.com.au/search.php

Sold out at the moment, but there are other internet stores, you may want to do a google :gotsearch

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
sweet ill find some powder then run my tits off :) i found some bulk stuff on ebay just comes in a big bag of a kilo. its cheap. is bcaa bcaa if tis all in the right ratio? for a money conscious bloke this is

might have to wait til next nutra planet order cos it just seems all the aussy stores charge about 50 bucks for like 300gm wen its 50 bucks for a kilo at nutra

Last edited:
IroNwIlL2006

IroNwIlL2006

Awards
Im getting some conflicting info here. I've always heard that hiit cardio burns way more calories and way more fat but is not really as efficient as low intensity cardio. You sip your bcaa's and the gh boost is nice but I wouldn't be doing it on empty. Ive never heard anyone advise someone to do hiit in a fasted state. Don't you all agree that low intensity cardio is better for preserving muscle mass? This guys taking hyperdrol, not pinning tren, I'd hate for him to see his performance suffer as he's already in decent shape. Im assuming preserving muscle would be his priority not rapid fatloss. BTW OP, why are you cutting during football season?

LMAO I come off as a real **** here. Just seems a bit like broscience.

:goodpost: :clap2:

Both Omen and JKP made good points as well,
go for HIIT, short & painful but very effective. Also true: 20-30 min cardio is VERY UNLIKELY to cause any catabolism, regardless of the intensity. If you want to kick off your fat burning the best way is on empty stomach and so taking a whey shake b4 cardio kind of defeats this purpose. BCAAs are great for preventing catabolism on a cut but personally I wouldn't bother taking them unless the fasted cardio is over 40min.
Good luck !

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the answer is nobody knows for sure, and a lot of it depends on your personal body type. I could make a case for low intensity cardio being more catabolic (at same total calories burned, so say an hour of low intensity vs 20 min HIIT), as the drain on your bodily resources lasts longer. a pound of muscle is worth 3500ish calories, its made up of 160g protein. In the 20 minutes of hiit you might burn a whopping 300 cals, so less than 10% of a lb of muscle worth. If you take in 10-20g of BCAAs during that time, your body is more than capable of rebuilding whatever amount of muscle could be lost during that time, if any is lost at all.

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
yeah im still un decided whether to go for the the hiit or low intensity. def gunna do fasted with bcaas tho. not looking to lose too much fat, just want to burn a bit and cut up for summer which is in a few months over here. yeah as you said im only 20 and just on natural things like hyperdrol anabolic pump. ironwill im on a cut cos ive finished football for the year now.

BiggerGeek

Awards
yeah im still un decided whether to go for the the hiit or low intensity. def gunna do fasted with bcaas tho. not looking to lose too much fat, just want to burn a bit and cut up for summer which is in a few months over here. yeah as you said im only 20 and just on natural things like hyperdrol anabolic pump. ironwill im on a cut cos ive finished football for the year now.
You can do fasted AND HIT. The benefit of hit is raises your metabolism for 24 hours...just like weight lifting. But just like you shouldn't lift weights in a fasted state, you should do HIT in a fasted state. Best bet is to do HIT on days you don't lift, around the same time you lift. If you lift three days a week, do HIT three days a week. This way you metabolism is elevated almost the whole week. Also treat PWO nutrition for HIIT similarly to weight lifting pwo.

IMO. morning cardio is more like an added benefit. Its like hey, I'll burn off a few hundred more calories and this will come almost exclusively from my fat stores. It is like the icing on the cake. But you need to keep it low intensity and you need to be fasted.

I am sure you've seen the studies, or at least them quoted, but steady state cardio compared to HIT cardio... HIT takes half the time but you burn up to seven times more calories throughout the course of the day compared to SS, even though you burn less during. Plus the added hormonal response are a nice benefit and help you retain muscle.

Best tools for losing weight (IMO) in order:
-having a limb amputated
-liposuction
-diet
-weight training
-HIIT
-fasted cardio
-frequent masturbation (depending on the volume of you newts)

(some of those where jokes...can you guess which ones?)

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
k, just my two cents. dave palumbo says when in a carb depleted state(ie.fasted cardio) and doing high intensity training that your body will convert muscle into carbs for energy. he gets all scientific and tells u how this is really done. im not gonna, if u want that go to md and look at the ask dave thread. to burn fat in a fasted state he claims u need to keep ur heartbeat under 120. anything over that is going to waste muscle.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
k, just my two cents. dave palumbo says when in a carb depleted state(ie.fasted cardio) and doing high intensity training that your body will convert muscle into carbs for energy. he gets all scientific and tells u how this is really done. im not gonna, if u want that go to md and look at the ask dave thread. to burn fat in a fasted state he claims u need to keep ur heartbeat under 120. anything over that is going to waste muscle.
:icon_lol:

None of those studies show muscle being used for energy in less than 48 hours as far as I know, including cardio with your heartbeat over 120.

I eat one meal a day, and before I eat that meal before bed, I do 2 hours of LIC 6 days a week, HIT 20-30 mins 5 times a week and no time limit (till exhaustition/MAX) calisthenics/snatch clean, deadlift, etc...

Doing a cut right now and everything is working out great.

Monkey **** has a lot of BS in it, some articles are good, but most are BS. :hammer:

:smite:

BiggerGeek

Awards
:icon_lol:

None of those studies show muscle being used for energy in less than 48 hours as far as I know, including cardio with your heartbeat over 120.

I eat one meal a day, and before I eat that meal before bed, I do 2 hours of LIC 6 days a week, HIT 20-30 mins 5 times a week and no time limit (till exhaustition/MAX) calisthenics/snatch clean, deadlift, etc...

Doing a cut right now and everything is working out great.

Monkey **** has a lot of BS in it, some articles are good, but most are BS. :hammer:

:smite:

one meal a day? seriously?

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
one meal a day? seriously?
Yes, seriously.

I have reached this desicion after 8 years of reading/experimenting with diets, low fat, Atkins, Zone, 6 meals a day, etc....

Here's my post from another thread:

Nothing outside normal weight loss for me, I gained some weight because I was eating junk (cheap+no cooking) so I switched back to a carnivorous diet (mostly meat+20g of carbs max, usually 10>X, no refeeds, no cheat)

Slow, Sprint, Heavy in order.

LIC(Low Intensity Cardio) 2 hours, 6 times a week (this is walking to/from work and going to my friends/grocery etc,,, in between.

HIT (sprints or punching bag or swimming) 5 times a week 20-30 mins

Combat Conditioning 90% calisthenics (hindu pushups, squats, back bridge, front bridge, table maker, wall pushup, pull ups, dips, sit ups, regular bridge, etc....) 10% weights (Snatch Clean with military press) lunges, calisthenics with weight vest up to 120lbs ) 5 times a week, MAXIMUM EFFORT EVERYDAY, NO TIME LIMIT ON WORKOUT, STOP WHEN I CAN'T MOVE.

I always get excellent results from this cutting method, I got down to 8-9% and will continue staying at 8% for good this time, fat loss is quick and steady, diet is very simple, I'm eating 5lbs of chicken thighs right now, that's 3910 calories in one meal plus I ate some high fat low carb high protein peanut butter cups(recipe in recipe section)

So probably 4500 calories in 1 hour......, one meal a day at night before bed, that's it, the high fat content 272 grams keeps me full all day only feeling hungry at 2 am, first meal before bed. , 1700 mg of cholestrol and 340g of protein.

Very non conventional but naturally I tend to do IF(intermittent fasting) and feel great on a carnivorous diet, having an empty stomach for workouts is amazing, much lighter, stronger and focused.

That is my plan so no one will think I'm cutting with pizza & beer ....Really not impressed with DCP/Recreate/GCG stack.....

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
Hiit

anyone suggest a good place to start with hiit. im doing running so a sprint then a jog. i would say i'm bloody unfit. i havent done running for a while due to knee operation but ive been doing cardio on the bike and im looking the best i have. but i know my running fitness will be a different story. basically im gunna need to start from scratch. i was thinking of starting with

30sprint90restspeed X 6

i just dont want to do a massive session as my first and then burn out with bad doms and what not. as i know ive done this with long distance running before.

any suggestions for a beginner would be sweet

BiggerGeek

Awards
anyone suggest a good place to start with hiit. im doing running so a sprint then a jog. i would say i'm bloody unfit. i havent done running for a while due to knee operation but ive been doing cardio on the bike and im looking the best i have. but i know my running fitness will be a different story. basically im gunna need to start from scratch. i was thinking of starting with

30sprint90restspeed X 6

i just dont want to do a massive session as my first and then burn out with bad doms and what not. as i know ive done this with long distance running before.

any suggestions for a beginner would be sweet
tabata exercises are good. That is where you do 20 second work 10 second rest for 8 cycles (take four minutes). You can use it for almost anything. Just do as many reps or whatever in the 20 seconds. Do like pushups, burpees, sprints, stationary bike. rowing....possibilities are endless.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am on a 7 day a week fasted cardio. I usually hit 35-45 minutes high incline 15% moderate speed 4.5mph. Always, always on an empty stomach. No need for whey before cardio

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
dude are you frickin kidding me! one meal a day! i have neither the time nor the energy to get into a pissing contest with you, but im gonna call B.S! do you yave some recent pics to post so we can see how this is workin out for ya? your gonna :icon_lol: my post then tell me your eaten 1 meal a day.

Well :icon_lol: to you too buddy

i want to c those pics

BiggerGeek

Awards
I believe that is how sumo wrestlers train. They train hard all day, then eat one huge meal before they go to bed...

are you a sumo wrestler?

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
I believe that is how sumo wrestlers train. They train hard all day, then eat one huge meal before they go to bed...

are you a sumo wrestler?

:eek:

thought he was supposed to be on a diet? still want pics

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dude are you frickin kidding me! one meal a day! i have neither the time nor the energy to get into a pissing contest with you, but im gonna call B.S! do you yave some recent pics to post so we can see how this is workin out for ya? your gonna :icon_lol: my post then tell me your eaten 1 meal a day.

Well :icon_lol: to you too buddy

i want to c those pics
http://avidityfitness.net/2008/01/12/interview-martin-berkhan/

I have a cam in my cell phone but I can't send pics to my laptop, only receive from it for some reason, I have older pics, I was eating about 2 meals a day when those were taken, within 4-5 hours of each other so it was still IF, I should have those on a memory stick at my house, will post them when I get back.

I'll take some newer pics when I can, but if you're gonna ask for my pics, Let's see your pics!

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
you are this martin Berkhan fellow? if this really is you then i applaud your weight loss results. but think about what u could look like following sometype of plan thats not a crackpot scheme?

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
k, im sorry....i had to get that in. but u did play along so when i get home i post pics too.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you are this martin Berkhan fellow? if this really is you then i applaud your weight loss results. but think about what u could look like following sometime of plan thats not a crackpot scheme?
No, I posted that for you to take a look at IF because it's really not a crackpot scheme, there's a lot of evolutionary science behind it and it's been proven by studies, there really is no/not that much science behind 3 meals a day, 6, etc...

I will post my pics tonight when I get back to the house, where are your pics?

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading about IF..... and it's just too much ****. Not really getting it. Somebody wanna break it down Barney style for me?

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
wow..... thanks. That helps me...alot.

thaOrleanyte

thaOrleanyte

Awards
  • Established
So you're like, basically, the worst guy ever.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
no whey, no bcaas....

5-10g of l-leucine pre-fasted cardio FTW

tommytucker69

tommytucker69

Awards
bump for pics with the IF results, thats gotta be hectic on lowering the metabolism doesnt it. reminds me of a bear going into hybernation

anyone else agree with scrapping a bcaa powder and just going with l-leucine?

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Tommy get some Xtend from Scivation supplements. Sip on 5-6 scoops during cardio and your straight as far as catabolism goes. Also, the cardio will help with nutrient partitioning and delivering all this good stuff to your muscles mang!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
anyone else agree with scrapping a bcaa powder and just going with l-leucine?
The reason I say this is out of personal experience. I only use BCAAS when I'm bulking now. They prevented me from going into ketosis before, proof enough for me that BCAA's convert to glucose during a workout (research glucogensis). L-leucine has proven to increase protein synthesis without the potential for converting to glucose. Isoleucine can go both ways, and several other amino acids can convert to glucose very easily.

Will BCAAS help prevent catabolism during cardio? Sure. But you want the most efficient way to lose fat while retaining muscle, and imho bcaas are not it.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
After trying HIIT on a bike for a few days i just went back to 30 min. of high incline treadmill after weights. I like it and i can see results. They are slow but they are results i can feel.

That's what i like and it actually gives me a chance to show others that i'm not anti-social. I really don't like to chat much during weight work but it really helps pass the time during cardio.

My appetite decreases for some reason after this and i can still do stuff during the day. HIIT wiped me out.

Just find what you like. You're not going to get results from something you don't like doing and cannot put 100% into.

HIIT might be great for fat loss if you like doing it but if you don't like doing it then it results would be minimal.

Omen was right about people underestimating the human body and posted a great link to.

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Tommy get some Xtend from Scivation supplements. Sip on 5-6 scoops during cardio and your straight as far as catabolism goes. Also, the cardio will help with nutrient partitioning and delivering all this good stuff to your muscles mang!
I normally use bulk powders but I'd love to try some of these all-in-one products.

The only thing is the bottom end of the ingredient list. "Natural and Artificial Flavors" and what the hell is "Red #40, Blue #1"

Are any of these going to do anything to insulin levels? The last thing you need when dropping fat is elevated insulin levels.

walugi

walugi

Awards
Cause catabolism? after 15-20 minutes of HIT cardio?....

If you have AIDS, if you sleep 1 hour a night, if your diet is horrible, if you workout for 15 hours everyday....Sure.

The human body isn't a fragile little butterfly.
Hahaha, that is hilarious.

I'm wondering, is playing soccer equivalent to HIIT? I've been playing for 6 years and i've never really had any kind of fat loss from it. Then again for 5 of those years I wasn't really watching what I was eating :p