rapid weight loss for week after leaving ketosis

pontaro

Awards
just a quick question as to why?

I was on ketosis for 4 weeks, and lost a bit of fat in week 1, but weeks 2 3 and 4 were so slow. I think I also lost a lot of muscle during this time. I did do carb spikes on weekend so was kind of a CKD diet.

I just don't understand why i'd lose the fastest fat loss the week after I stopped the diet? I was under the impression you'd fill up your glycogen in your muscles quickly and also get that kind of "full" feeling, but also you would gain water weight quickly?

I know i left ketosis within hours, yet lost more fat during that week than during ketosis. Also, after that first week I stopped ketosis I started to gain a little muscle/fat etc.

Can anyone explain this physiological reasoning? I understand muscles are starved of glycogen and they drink up glucose during carb-up periods. Could my muscles have been taking in glycogen for that entire week, while losing fat still? Does anyone think that this means my carb spikes on the weekend weren't enough to replenish glycogen and I should have spent maybe 4-5 days on carbs instead of 36 hours?

Cant' really find many info online about this. I read most people saying that after they stop ketosis their weight just balloons again. maybe its not so immediate and weight gains take another few weeks to kick in?

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
bump. someone smarter than i should help this man.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
see, i did this cause the answer might put me at ease a bit. i do believe i'm losing weight. i mean, i can now fit into relaxed fit jeans that are size 34's easy. and i once wore a 36 a bit loosely, so i guess that means i've lost an inch on the ol' belly. BUT, i feel bloated and somewhat fatter anyway. i guess it's cause....well, i dunno why.

but strength is riding along good, even upping a bit here and there. so, i'm riding with this for sure. i just wanna see more abdominals damnit! but i still just see the same outline and nothing more, regardless of having lost weight. oh well, i'll just concentrate on strength. and keeping dropping cals SLOWLY. with strength comes muscle, and that stuff eats fat.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Here is what may be happening.

Either you're eating below your maintenance level still

OR

You're eating above, and your body is shoving carbs into your liver and glycogen stores because they are empty. At a slow pace it could take a few days to fill them, so you are gaining fullness and no fat.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Here is what may be happening.

Either you're eating below your maintenance level still

OR

You're eating above, and your body is shoving carbs into your liver and glycogen stores because they are empty. At a slow pace it could take a few days to fill them, so you are gaining fullness and no fat.
i'm eating about 400 cals right now below my maintenance levels on the weekdays. and i'm eating about 900g carbs during my 24 hour carb-up. i'm at about 200 right now, and with 10g carbs per kg (90), i figure i'm on point. and i'll lower them a bit as time goes on, and as i lose fat, same with weekday cals. this about right, emo? i just feel like my body is getting smaller, yet my stomach appears to be the same.

y'know, i'm gonna go calculate my stuff again real quick for good measure. oh, boy, i'm obsessing. be right back.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i just figured the current weight requirements again, with the equations and the knowledge i have of my body. i need 2600 cals right now to maintain weight with exercise. and i just checked my current diet, and i'm sitting at about 2300 exactly. so, i'm 300 cals below maintenance. and my carb up is seemingly on point. heck, i might actually be taking in too many carbs. what do y'all think? maybe i need to work more cardio into my program. i usually go walking for an hour twice a week briskly. should i do some running, or lower carbs on the carb-up, or do nothing and let it ride a bit more?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Walking isn't cardio. It's NEPA: Non-exersize physical activity.

It all depends on your goals, but IMO for the fastest fat loss, HIT cardio > steady state.

12-15 minutes of HIT cardio is so much more efficient for me, but you have to bust your ass very hard during the HIT periods. 15 minutes of HIT > an hour of steady state cardio for me at least.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Walking isn't cardio. It's NEPA: Non-exersize physical activity.

It all depends on your goals, but IMO for the fastest fat loss, HIT cardio > steady state.

12-15 minutes of HIT cardio is so much more efficient for me, but you have to bust your ass very hard during the HIT periods. 15 minutes of HIT > an hour of steady state cardio for me at least.
is that the High Intensity Interval Training (sprint a minute, jog a minute, sprint a minute, and so on?)

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
is that the High Intensity Interval Training (sprint a minute, jog a minute, sprint a minute, and so on?)

If you're really sprinting at 90-95%, it's about 30 second sprint and 60-90 seconds slow jog.

striking

striking

Awards
  • Established
I know the feeling your talking about Manimalia!

For me during my carb ups I always feel almost bloated, however I noticed that my stomach stas tight.

The thing I liek to think about is that stomach fat for me being the hardest to lose is only slowly going away. I can watch my chest or arms thin up faster on this diet them my lower ab area.

Generally there is more fat in one area then we like to think as such even on a great fat buring diet it takes time to eat through it all.
I also know that the first week on the diet you lose lots of weight mostly water and so on but this is a slow burn diet. You really should not be losing 5lbs a week if you are I would say that is muscle as well. I lose anywhere between 1-3lb a week. Mostly fat and I am happy with that!

As for loseing weight afterwards, Normally when carbing up I gain back my water weight and it may look like I put on muscle i nthat time simply because they are fuller.
Since your still below your Kcals it may just be that your body is likeing this change. Sometimes the body shock works great to shed off a few pounds.