How far does binge eating set you back?

  1. Registered User
    Fear's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    60
    Answers
    0

    How far does binge eating set you back?


    Hi guys, first post here. I have been on a cut ever since I've been back from vacation about three weeks ago, and do hardcore cardio everyday and weights to keep my lean muscle mass every other day. I've made some progress so far, but every few days of balanced eating and very hard work, I let my progress slip late at night, usually when I'm really stoned. I start getting the munchies really bad, and feel like I need to make up for all those lost calories depleted from my body. Is the weight gain from this usually weekly binge really drastic? or do you think I'll actually be able to lose fat in the long run. Any tips or comments are appreciated.

    About me: 5'10, 165 lbs, 15% bodyfat

  2. Registered User
    Chub's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,298
    Answers
    0


    Are you drinking a lot of alcohol too? That'll definitely set you back. A cheat day once a week isn't going to do that much harm, maybe more harm though if its late at night.

    Welcome to Anabolicminds
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  3. Registered User
    Condition1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    492
    Answers
    0


    Nothing wrong with the Ganja. However, it's a huge progress stopper for me. I treat it like donuts, for me personally it has no place in my diet for my goals.

    Example, I was hitting the bong for a couple of weeks and had major munchies. Cardio fell off a bit, and I put on 10-15 lbs. I'm sure they weren't of muscle. (fortunately I got my **** together and cut that nasty fat off in no time, easy come easy go)

    To me personally, binge eating is a huge set-back. I put on 2 lbs if I stare at a maple bar for too long.

    You may be in the same boat as me, it's all in knowing yoru body is. Carb cycling has really put my diet in check, it's hard to cheat when you know you're going to be having pizza and pasta on saturday I feel that we may be in the same boat.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Plates1971's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    59
    Answers
    0


    How many kcals are you binging on? What is your metabolism like?? Here is a bit of advice not being a arse but stop smoking dope! Decide which is more important...... dope or your aspirations for a better lookin healthier body...... Just my 2 pesos!
  5. Registered User
    striking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    305
    Answers
    0


    A cheat day depending on what your eating won't set you back that bad if the rest of the week you have a rather strict diet...

    BUT... that dreaded but...

    It IMO opens the door it more eating. If you let yourself slip for a whole day and lets say you order a big pizza YUM! then there is left overs that next day you would be suprised how much harder it is not to eat that! then one becomes two and you see where I am going...
  6. Registered User
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Plates1971 View Post
    Here is a bit of advice not being a arse but stop smoking dope!

    You said dope what is this the 1950's?

    Just binge on good food, if all your friends are high too then freak them out and just sit there and eat a pound of ground beef, or a whole roasted chicken, guarantee they will remember that for a while.
  7. Registered User
    striking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    305
    Answers
    0


    HAHA! that would be too funny!
    "hey man what ya doin?" "munchin"

    "is that a pound of ground beef?"

    "yeahhhh ya want some?"

    "wicked dude" lol
  8. Registered User
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Answers
    0


    Treat smoking like part of a cheat meal. Plan your cheat meals out, smoke before if you want, but don't do it often. Have a moderate cheat meal once a week, and maybe a more indulging cheat meal with some ganja every other week.
  9. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    It really depends. It can hinder your progress, but as said "binge eating" can actually assist progress, when done at the right times.

    You really need to get your diet straight, and adhere to it.

    I binge eat every Saturday, on "refeeds" and stay leaning out. But my diet is dialed in, and the re-feeds are an integral part of it.

    Breakfast(also had 100g waxy maize in Gatorade and some Mike & Ikes) 6 more meals to go...
  10. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Answers
    0


    As Impreziv wrote, refeeds can be largely beneficial to your diet goals. There has been a long standing debate on leptin levels benefitting from a large meal consisting of exactly what you diet against. "Shock treatment" so to speak, and signals your body to keep that metabolism churning high. This is not to mention the psychological benefit of refeeding/having a cheat meal.

    As mentioned several times, don't make it a random occurance. If it's random, you're not taking control of your diet... a must if you want to reach your goals.
  11. Registered User
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Answers
    0


    Agree with last two posts. Set refeed meals are highly beneficial.
  12. Jet
    Jet is offline
    Registered User
    Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    341
    Answers
    0


    Could one of you outline your refeeds? IC, I saw you mention a pie and some pasta in your log. How many extra cals are you taking in? Are you targeting mostly carbs, or sugars as well? Do you feel refeeds are better on an off day, or after your final day of training for the week?
  13. Registered User
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    Could one of you outline your refeeds? IC, I saw you mention a pie and some pasta in your log. How many extra cals are you taking in? Are you targeting mostly carbs, or sugars as well? Do you feel refeeds are better on an off day, or after your final day of training for the week?
    I try to stay away from sugar at all costs. My refeeds focus primarily on carbohydrates, and I always try to get in whole grains for my carb sources. I start my refeed on Friday, post-workout, and continue to eat carbohydrates through Saturday evening. Saturday and Sunday are my two days off; however, I will occasionaly do cardio on Sunday if I'm feeling up to it, but it's not necessary.
  14. Jet
    Jet is offline
    Registered User
    Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    341
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I try to stay away from sugar at all costs. My refeeds focus primarily on carbohydrates, and I always try to get in whole grains for my carb sources. I start my refeed on Friday, post-workout, and continue to eat carbohydrates through Saturday evening. Saturday and Sunday are my two days off; however, I will occasionaly do cardio on Sunday if I'm feeling up to it, but it's not necessary.
    Sounds good, thanks. I may start doing this One last question though; how many extra carbs are you trying to take in during this period?
  15. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    I hit up sugar like it was my best friend..lol I eat pancakes with syrup, gummy candies(sweedish fish, sour patch kids, mike & ike), fruity pebbles, rice krispy treats..

    Also take in a good deal of low/moderate GI carbs like pasta, pizza with low fat cheese, rice, etc.

    I really just keep fat extremely low.

    I am usually sitting at around 800-1k carbs on a saturday re-feed.
  16. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,723
    Answers
    0


    I start getting the munchies really bad, and feel like I need to make up for all those lost calories depleted from my body.
    hahahaha


    Please!

    You don't need no cheat meal or a refeed. You're three weeks into a diet and have not gone more than two or three days without going on a stoner binge.

    That's called not being on a diet.

    Put down the bong and get some self control.
  17. Jet
    Jet is offline
    Registered User
    Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    341
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    I hit up sugar like it was my best friend..lol I eat pancakes with syrup, gummy candies(sweedish fish, sour patch kids, mike & ike), fruity pebbles, rice krispy treats..

    Also take in a good deal of low/moderate GI carbs like pasta, pizza with low fat cheese, rice, etc.

    I really just keep fat extremely low.

    I am usually sitting at around 800-1k carbs on a saturday re-feed.
    I'm on more of a lean bulk so I think I'll steer clear of all the sugars, as delicious as they sound You don't see much fat gain using that method?
  18. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    hahahaha


    Please!

    You don't need no cheat meal or a refeed. You're three weeks into a diet and have not gone more than two or three days without going on a stoner binge.

    That's called not being on a diet.

    Put down the bong and get some self control.
    Although a bit harsh, it is true... you need more focus if you want to meet your goals.

    It appears to be that you are fairly new to dieting, at least trying to diet on a consistant manner. Everyone starts sometime. Starting off is always the hardest part, and the quickest way to get someone to drop the whole thing is to rule out foods (or cheat meals). This is why I think it is in order for you to allow yourself the foods you enjoy..... in moderation, and planned out.
    I think you'd be suprised how simple it is to put off "cravings" with the knowledge that you can, and will, eat that food in just a few days. It has worked for me, and for thousands of others who do this on a regular basis.
  19. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    I'm on more of a lean bulk so I think I'll steer clear of all the sugars, as delicious as they sound You don't see much fat gain using that method?
    I'm a bit confused as to your goals in the matter... are you looking to incorporate the meal to bring about additional fat loss, or are you looking for the ideal way to go about having a cheat meal(no shame if thats the case, just confused here).

    "Refeed" has been the term used as a way of kicking the metabolism back into high gear after severly limiting carbohydrates. Carb cycling diets utilize these meals, and must for effective weight loss (stalling becomes the case otherwise).
    On a lean bulk, I'm assuming that you are maintaining a healthy ratio of all three macronutrients? If that's the case, a refeed will not be of any real benefit, strictly in terms of fat loss. The "shock" a carb cycler gets from the 300 someodd grams of CHO is unique to his or her diet... won't happen in a diet sufficient with carbohydrate.

    With that said, a cheat meal is good to go, if that is what you desire. No shame in that, 99% of dieters do so to stay sane and helps to focus on the next 6 or so days of meals. You won't see much fat gain, if any at all, with a cheat meal 1x week IMO, regardless of what you choose to splurge on.
  20. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,723
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    Although a bit harsh, it is true... you need more focus if you want to meet your goals.
    I missed a smiley face emoticon in there somewhere.
  21. Jet
    Jet is offline
    Registered User
    Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    341
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Highlanda01602 View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to your goals in the matter... are you looking to incorporate the meal to bring about additional fat loss, or are you looking for the ideal way to go about having a cheat meal(no shame if thats the case, just confused here).

    "Refeed" has been the term used as a way of kicking the metabolism back into high gear after severly limiting carbohydrates. Carb cycling diets utilize these meals, and must for effective weight loss (stalling becomes the case otherwise).
    On a lean bulk, I'm assuming that you are maintaining a healthy ratio of all three macronutrients? If that's the case, a refeed will not be of any real benefit, strictly in terms of fat loss. The "shock" a carb cycler gets from the 300 someodd grams of CHO is unique to his or her diet... won't happen in a diet sufficient with carbohydrate.

    With that said, a cheat meal is good to go, if that is what you desire. No shame in that, 99% of dieters do so to stay sane and helps to focus on the next 6 or so days of meals. You won't see much fat gain, if any at all, with a cheat meal 1x week IMO, regardless of what you choose to splurge on.
    Good info, thanks. I'm on a 40/40/20 split, and I'm trying to slowly shift to hypercaloric from hypocaloric. I wasn't planning on using refeeds as a method of increased fat loss, as they generally are with CKD diets, more in terms of a psuedo-cheat meal that also aids in recovery while entering my days off. Not sure if the latter is very legitimate, but it makes me feel better
  22. Registered User
    Highlanda01602's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,254
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    Good info, thanks. I'm on a 40/40/20 split, and I'm trying to slowly shift to hypercaloric from hypocaloric. I wasn't planning on using refeeds as a method of increased fat loss, as they generally are with CKD diets, more in terms of a psuedo-cheat meal that also aids in recovery while entering my days off. Not sure if the latter is very legitimate, but it makes me feel better
    Good to go Jet, you know where I was trying to go with that. In all my experience, a psuedo-cheat meal (or a full blown Chinese food dinner, as I often do) only helps with my training. And in all of my research, I have yet to see someone claim of drastic improvements upon dropping their cheat meal from their diet. Long live the cheat meal! It sounds odd, but I honestly think it revitalizes me for the upcoming week. It's like I have this extra fuel ready to burn... might be a bit of guilt associated with that too, haha.
    Going hypocaloric brings the leptin-debate back into thought again, which may prove to be beneficial.....
  23. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    I'm on more of a lean bulk so I think I'll steer clear of all the sugars, as delicious as they sound You don't see much fat gain using that method?
    Hell no.. I am steady, dropping BF..

    I used to go too light on the re-feeds and by Monday i was flat again.

    I start the day with lots of higher GI carbs, then as it progresses i taper it to more lower GI carbs.. Similar to what DUCHANE recommends, but all in one day, rather then 2.

    But like said above, this is worked into my diet, and a much needed part of it being that i dont consume carbs Sun-fri.
  24. Registered User
    Space's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    297
    Answers
    0


    A binge completely ruins your results! Half a pizza is 2181 calories and you need to be in a 7700 calories a week deficit to lose 1 kg or 2.2 pounds!

    Cardio hardly helps either because 15 minutes on a treadmill at 14 kmh is only equal to 250 calories or two slices of buttered bread!

    Additionally cheating breaks your discipline and maintaining discipline is the most important part of dieting!

    Just don't cheat because small amounts of food add up to significant amounts of weight.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Binge's Quest to 250 and Back
    By BingeAndPurge in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 02:12 PM
  2. Need help with my post photoshoot cheat/binge!
    By heavyduty in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
  3. getting up, eating, going back to bed
    By TerribleTowel in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 12:09 AM
  4. Payday = supplement binge
    By dhuge67 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 11:53 AM
  5. Study: Kudzu helps curb binge drinking
    By credible_threat in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in