How does this bulking diet look to you guys?

djhex36

Awards
here's a link to my bulking diet plan i just want opinions on how to better it or if it's ok. i'm at 6'1" @ 206lbs 17% bodyfat.

jae

djhex36

Awards
I'm going to start cutting in dec. with m-1-t, and the required liver supports, and lower cal intake to about 3000-3400. also, i was always told to take in 1x or 1.5X your bodyweight for the amout of grams for protein? so wouldn't that be sufficient? all the help is appriciated.

jae

djhex36

Awards
come on there has to be more input then that.

jae

spoofy

Awards
more protein less fat

fat is making up 60% of your diet ..that is not good..

Tubbs

Awards
If your insistant on bulking, and I would agree that at 17% you might want to reconsider, you need to look at your ratios. From what I can make of the ratios, the fat is 55%, and 79 g are saturated. You need to substitute some of that beef for chicken and/or fish. I personally would go to more like 50/30/20 or 40/40/20 for P/C/F and see if that doesnt do a little better for you. Cut out some of the saturated fat and supplement w/ flax or safflower oil. Ease up on the peanut butter, or go lowfat which will save you 4 or 5 fat grams/serving. Trust me, at nearly 20% bf and a diet of 55% fat you'll be bulking the wrong way.

Ibanez

Awards
I split my total into 3rds and get 1/3 poly, sat, mono. If you want, you can lower the sat and up one of the others, but still get flax in your diet.

What tubbs said, more chicken and fish and less red meat.

djhex36

Awards
well i don't know if this makes a difference, but i use the george forman grill, and when the burgers are done, it's like really dry and alot of the fat is in the tray, so i don't know if that takes off a lot of saturated fat or not. what do you guys think about that?

djhex36

Awards
ok, well i'm gonna start cutting nov 1st tilli'm down to 10% at least or would 12% be ok? but ya i'm gonna bring the fats way down, and up carbs, and protein (just a tad on protein), also is 9 grain whole weat bread good for carbs? thanks

jae

Tubbs

Awards
The Foreman grill will help a lot, and I would venture a guess of about 1/2 of the fat will come off the burger with the grill. That will cut a lot of your saturated fat, as animal fat pretty much all saturated (typically solid at room temp). 12% is not a bad goal. If your not staying lean all year and you do the typical winter bulk/summer cut cycles, you don't want to dig too much of a hole (starting @ 17%) for cutting down. Try not to get too bogged down on strictly increasing body weight. I've seen a lot of people brag about being 250, 275 and looked like a tub of **** and get smoked on strength by lighter guys. Weight goals are great, but just keep it in perspective. (JMO)
That bread is probably ok. There are better choices, like sweet potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, etc. I too like bread and try to incorporate it in the morning, and thats about it. Make sure it has good amount of fiber and not just straight carbs. Some of the "honey" and other special wheat breads can be misleading on how much fiber/sugars you would think they have. Once you lean out to your goal, your best bet, since you have gotten a lot leaner, is to stick with a "cleaner" diet and up the portions for your "bulking" phase and stay close to the above ratios. I think you'll like the way you look and feel better. These are just my suggestions.

fuzz

Awards
Actually, the main thing you get in the tray of a foreman is water mixed with a small amount of grease. So if you are cooking normal ground beef in the foreman, they are still as fatty as normal. Granted, its better then frying them in oil, but a lean cut of beef or chicken would be better.

I also agree with a lot of the above mentioned points - you need to get leaner before bulking, and you need less fats (especially saturated) and more variety. Where are fruits and veggies? Where are the EFAs?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
more protein less fat

fat is making up 60% of your diet ..that is not good..
would have said this exact thing...

plus look at the quality of your fat... saturated is horrible

you need more poly and mono UNsaturated fats and less saturated.. plus all that saturated fat will make it even harder on your already somewhat high 17% bodyfat.. i would take out some of that peanut butter and add more protein shakes..

djhex36

Awards
changed

i've now changed my diet, becuase i'm on a major cutting phase, i know it's winter and i should be bulking, but i wanna reduce my Bodyfat down to at least 12% before i start to bulk again. my diet now consists of like 6 cans of tuna aday, about 4 slices of whole wheat bread, chicken breasts, 4 flax seed tablespoons, and 2 protein shakes, 1 post work out, and 1 before i sleep. i'll calculate later what that turns out too
but it's somewhere around 2300 cal? if that. thanks for everyones help and replies.

Last edited:
LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
now that sounds MUCH MUCH MUCH cleaner.. how much do you weigh by the way..

djhex36

Awards
today i weighed in at 209lbs, gained like 2 lbs i guess, but it doesn't look like any fat grew, since i've been on this clean meal, but that's only 2 lbs in like a month, but i just ordered m-1-t and will be doing 10mg ed for 2 weeks and 2 weeks off, then evaluate if i should wait till i get down to 12-13% body fat to start bulking with 20mg or just do it after the 2 weeks off. but i'm 6'1" 209lbs with about 17% bf. so hopefully this cutting diet will shed some fat. with cardio on my off days and light cardio on my lifting days.

jae

size

Awards
  • Established
WHere did you get that program?
can you post a link?

Too much saturated fats.

djhex36

Awards
Bro, i'm like 17-18% bodyfat @ 6'1" i don't think that's acceptable for me heheh, so ya i wanna get as lean as i can in like 3 months before i start to bulk again, i train as if i were bulking still just to try and keep the strength and muscle as much as possible, i'm taking v12 and nox2 right now, just to try them out. but ya i wanna lean out to 12-13% do you think tha'ts possible in 3-4 months?? thanks

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
depends on how you do with your diet and such and how your body responds to cardio etc. make sure your still getting 5 meals a day.. just make them clean meals and slightly smaller portions.. i would probobly hit some cardio 3 times a week.. lower intensity jogging.. 45 minutes or so.. watch the fat melt off.

djhex36

Awards
yup that's my plan, i'm gonna be doin 30-40 mins of cardio on days i don't lift, then on days i do lift , i do 10 mins of jogging in the morning before i work out. and as of my 5 meals i have 6 hehe, 1 can of tuna per meal, and some chicken in between there, and a couple slices of bread. =) so i hope it goes well, i'm sure it will

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
yup that's my plan, i'm gonna be doin 30-40 mins of cardio on days i don't lift, then on days i do lift , i do 10 mins of jogging in the morning before i work out. and as of my 5 meals i have 6 hehe, 1 can of tuna per meal, and some chicken in between there, and a couple slices of bread. =) so i hope it goes well, i'm sure it will
sounds good dude.. your alright on the bread. just make it wheat bread...

djhex36

Awards
wow today i weighed in at 210-211, i don't know how accurate the sacle is in my apt bathroom, but it's usually consistant. i look a little bigger in my shoulders area, but it also looks like i've lost a lil bit of fat, each day i do this routine. i plan on getting a digital scale. what kinda scale do you guys recommend? thanks alot on helping me with my diet guys.