First Time Poster

C

CT2902

Awards
This is my first time posting here, I have been 'surfing' through the web looking for a good website for what I am trying to do and I think I have finally found it. Here it goes.

I am a 21 year old male from Texas. I am currently attending Sam Houston State university. (sorry i'm goign to lay out my background first lol) Anyways I am a pretty big guy, 6'4 260 right now, and what I am looking to do is cut down to the 200-210 range. I want to have a good lean body and a lot of definition. I am 3 years removed from high school where I played baseball and threw the discuss, so this is not like I am a complete beginner when it comes to fitness and dieting. Back then being in shape just came naturally to me because I was involved in so many things. Since then I have become lazy and lethargic towards being in shape and I have also lost all sense of healthy dieting...

Which brings me to my next point, I am here to seek advice from people who know things about fitness and healthy dieting on a more knowledgable level than I do. I am wondering if anybody can give me a pretty specific weight resistance/cardio workout that will help me to cut off this 50-60 lbs. Also I would like to know what types of foods I should be eating and what I should really be avoiding. Last but not least I would like to keep this natural and I am wondering what types of vitamins I can get that will help this process.

Sorry for the length and I am glad to be here, I look forward to hearing from all of you and maybe even one day helping some people out!

Chris

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great to have you with us and you started off with giving us some good info to help you with but...

I'm tired as hell and will have to give my 2cents in the morning :)

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome Chris. You have come to the right place. Just a thought on my end that I would like to have cleared up..

1. How much time do you have to dedicate to fitness (ie. working out)? Once I see this then we can all help to design a good split for you

With that said, obviously your going to need to add a solid amount of cardio to your routine. My best advice off the top is not too intense. Personally, I notice solid results on the treadmill at its highest incline at roughly 4.4-4.7mph. Obviously, you can make the necessary alterations to this and change it up. However if this is done several times a week, for roughly 30-40 minutes, it should help.

Most importantly with nutrition, I am a follower of something Dennis Wolf wrote not too long ago (no he was not the first) protein should dominate every meal. Whatever the meal is, there should be more protein than carbs and fat. I would suggest 5-6 small meals spread throughout the day, roughly every 2-3 hours. You can use whey supplementation with that as well.

I will take a look back at your thread to see your response to my question, then we can get a little more specific.

Good luck

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my pleasure Jay. We all need help from time to time

C

CT2902

Awards
I appreciate the response. The truth is, I have all the time in the world to work out. My schedule for the upcoming fall semester is 9-1 and then 9-11. I have all of the afternoon/ evening free. I look forward to seeing what you have for me!

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that schedule can make life nice and easy. Personally I like splitting up the day, fasted cardio in the am, then lift in the afternoon.

Just for the basics and as an example of a nice split with Sat. and Sun. off:
Monday: Chest
Tuesday:Back
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday:Arms
Friday: Shoulders

This way you can add and subtract a bit. For example: you could break arms up to Chest/Tris monday, and Back/Bi's tuesday. There are a lot of combinations to work from.

With regards to specific exercises, right now for body parts like chest/shoulders/legs/back, I would stick with more traditional ones. (ie: Incline/flat BP, Seated Press, Squats, BB Rows, Deads etc..)

If you need specifics on exercises let me know.

C

CT2902

Awards
That sounds like something I can handle for sure. Just a cpl things, for the wednesday legs routine, I play in a softball league wednesday night almost every week, so on those days would it be best to leave the leg and cardio out? or do the cardio in the AM and just leave the lifting out because I have heard that you don't want to overwork your body.

2nd. Should I be doing the cardio 30-40 minutes everyday?

Oh and thanks a lot this really helps

C

CT2902

Awards
Sorry, I forgot one last thing in my post. Is there any vitamins or natural supplements I can be taking? I am looking to make my body as healthy as possible and I have been doing research on the internet and looking at different vitamins/supplements and I am just wondering what would help me the most...

THANKS!

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
SInce you play in a league I would move the legs to either sat. or sun. your choice. If you feel you can still do the cardio and play, then by all means do that. I always do cardio 7 days a week, however, I would suggest a good 5 for you between 30-45minutes per.

In terms of supps, I would focus on the basics up front. Some whey (scivation, American Whey), a good multi (Animal Pak, Orange Tirad), and some fish oil. Once you continue to get your feet wet, I can recommend other things that can help fine tune your physique.

Let me know how it goes