For those of you who use oatmeal as part of your shakes...?

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
Which method of adding oats to a shake is better/easier...

#1-Just adding the raw oats into the shake and mixing

#2-Cooking the oats into oatmeal then add the oatmeal into the shake and mix

?

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
If I am running low on time, I do #1. If I have more time, I have the "low carb" shake and eat the cooked oatmeal separately--a personal preference. Still, I cannot think of any reason why you could not add cooked oatmeal to your shake if you wanted to.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I do both as well for the same reasons as Cogar. Rarely, if I down a shake with raw oats in it that has not had time soften I'll get a mild stomach ache.

I can't foresee any nutritional differences between raw and cooked oats.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing CFM whey protein isolate w/ ground oatmeal post workout for about 6 months (your option #1). A few weeks ago, there was a low GI post workout thread at bb.com that got ugly (as usual). One post that stood out was John Benz's post about his post workout shake (30g whey and 20g egg) with 1/2 cup COOKED oatmeal. A few posts later he went on to talk about digestive problems with uncooked oatmeal. Since Bobo's low GI posts/rants had convinced me on the ground, uncooked oatmeal in postworkout shake I posted this:
Bobo,

Last spring, your responses to Draven's post on low GI post workout over at AM won me over to low GI post workout. I've been using uncooked old fashioned oatmeal after running it through a coffee grinder. However, JohnBenz, Hogbeast, and a few other guys in this post have bashed uncooked oatmeal, and I was wondering about your thoughts?

~Todd
His reponse back was:
Uncooked oatmeal can cause digestive problems for some people. Cooking it doesn't effect the GI so no worries there. I grind uncooked oats in a coffee grinder and it wokrks just fine for me. But techincally they are correct in that cooked for the majority of people might be better. But if you haven't experienced any problems, I wouldn't worry about it.
If I were you, I'd try out your option #1, and if it gives you digestive problems switch to your option #2.

~Todd

Lonny

Awards
Personally i use a dextrose/malto shake for pre/during workout and a low GI post.

I never cook my oats before adding them to my shake, as i make my both my shakes prior to my workout and by the time im done working out the oats have softened.

I've haven't had cooked oats in probably 10 years, and can't see many advantages to cooking it as raw oats don't affect my digestive system to any detrimental extent.

So i would bump on trying option 1, and if theres problems move to option 2.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I use to cook them and store them in the fridge for later use. I now just toss them in the blender ungrinded and let them soften up a bit before blending my shake up. I haven't noticed any problems since going uncooked, and it's a lot more convenient.

N4cer

N4cer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I soak mine in warm water for 10min before making the shake. And I start the shake with adding the oats to water, and running on "liquefy". Works nicely to have low GI carbs in the shake. Then of course, there's the fact of the effects of oats on cholesterol.

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
coffee grinder method is best. can take the whole mixture anywhere "dry", mix on the go, no worries about cooking ****, and besides if your gut can't handle some simple ground oats you're a puss and have no business with this whole "bodybuilding and nutrition" thing anyway :)

j/k, of course ;)

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
. . . .and besides if your gut can't handle some simple ground oats you're a puss and have no business with this whole "bodybuilding and nutrition" thing anyway :)

j/k, of course ;)
Too funny. :D