the ANTI-CARDIO cut thread

IRONPOPE

IRONPOPE

Awards
  • Established
I Hate cardio... i love lifting iron

i got about 50 to 6o lbs to lose....body fat % is 29.9% currently

i am 6 3' 345lbs down from 365 in january 08

i cant stand cardio... my diet is pure CKD with one carb refeed day and its locked on point.

i cant stand cardio.... one reason is LEG DAY... my leg training is so intense and heavy... do cardio even 3 days after cramps me up.

i hate cardio... can u get down to my goal with just diet and severe lifiting?

or is cardio the only answer? :toilet:

BeafSteak

BeafSteak

Awards
you can, but it would be harder take alot longer. there are countless upsides of doing cardio, one of which is having a higher metabolism which will make fatloss much easier.

just try doing low intensity cardio 3x a week for 30-40 minutes a piece following your weight training session. i know it sucks but its 90 minutes a week at the least. it'll be well worth it, trust me.

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
I had the same problem with hard leg days affecting cardio performance. I find that I tend to do more cardio at the beginning of my week as I work my way towards leg day.

After leg day I find it better to do non-running cardio like: the row machine (concept 2), swimming, or power walking (wussy stuff, but it burns calories and keeps you trim).

Also, if you do intense cardio while your legs are trying to mend from the hard work out, your strength gains will be diminished. So it will be best for your strength gains, and cardio performance to do low intensity stuff after the leg work out. Also, as a heavier guy you will want to stay away from high impact modes of exercise to avoid joint damage.

It will take a very long time to shed that weight using dieting alone. It is worth mentioning that diet + exercise weight loss is greater than the sum of either of it's parts (You lose more doing both than you do while strictly following one or the other).

Having your diet locked in is more than 1/2 the battle IMHO. It takes much more discipline to eat right all week than it does to go sweat it out for 30 minutes on the track!

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I got down to 10% or below without cardio and in the past got to very low %'s with very little cardio but the challenge is you must have INSANE self control. I mean it, your life becomes all encoumpased by hunger and pain... If you can't do that then get on the damn treadmill

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
You don't need to do cardio to cut body fat. I recently had a very successful cut on a CKD without doing a single day of cardio. As long as you're burning more calories than you're taking in then you will lose weight. It is as simple as calories in = calories out. Just know how to count your calories on a CKD...fats should be rounded down to 9 cals per gram (because of the amount of energy it takes the body to burn a gram of fat) and protein should be rounded up to 5 calories per gram (due to gluconeogenesis).

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
i dont do that much cardio at all.
and im dieting down for a competition.

i went from about 14-15 percent bodyfat
down to around 9 percent in a month

3 days a week after training sessions i always do moderate cardio,
20 minutes on the treadmill medium incline.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've been able to lower my body fat by adopting a strict diet of many small meals a day but that only take me down by little where in contrast with a little cardio i notice the gains are much rapid.

IRONPOPE

IRONPOPE

Awards
  • Established
you guys aint telling me what i want to hear... but usually what works best people dont wanna do...

ima just have to grin and bear it and get on that god forasken stepper.

how about 12 rounds on the punching bag...thats acutally fun...can that replace MACHINE HELL CARDIO?

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
you guys aint telling me what i want to hear... but usually what works best people dont wanna do...

how about 12 rounds on the punching bag...thats acutally fun...can that replace MACHINE HELL CARDIO?

Yes, boxing is an awesome form of interval cardio...Try 90 - 120 second rounds with 30 - 60 seconds in between.

IRONPOPE

IRONPOPE

Awards
  • Established
Yes, boxing is an awesome form of interval cardio...Try 90 - 120 second rounds with 30 - 60 seconds in between.
Now that is something i can do and would want to do...probally would do it so much i would over-train.

for the CARDIO HATER that may be the trick to shredded abs

i might even order one of those automatic ring clocks too

dommer

Banned
Awards

punching bag is a pretty good work out i know after i lift i usually go hit the bag for 5-6mins and then hit the tread mill

also try just walking on the treadmill on a nice incline i use to run on the elliptical and fight cramps constantly no mater how good i stretched and then that started to plateau off with my fat loss so i changed and started walking 40mins a 4mph on a 15 incline (out of 15) and that restarted the fat loss in 5 weeks im down from 24.9% to 20.2 as of monday just stick with and keep the diet clean

also try out the speed bag and the sway bag those are fun as hell once you get the rhythm down if you could 90 1.5-2 mins on the heavy bag and then 1.5-2 on the speed bag and keep rotating like that id be wiling to bet that would be great for cardio

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Just remember, the heart is a muscle too.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm with JR, its possible to get sub 10 with keto diets and retain a good amount of LBM. But discipline is key.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Now that is something i can do and would want to do...probally would do it so much i would over-train.

for the CARDIO HATER that may be the trick to shredded abs

i might even order one of those automatic ring clocks too
I punch the 100lb bag everyday in the morning, great calorie burner, muscle builder and stress reliever, haven't been to jail since I started using it.

whats with your avatar?
He ****ing loves coloring.

IRONPOPE

IRONPOPE

Awards
  • Established
lol i didnt take the shot,,, my ex GF did.... i was kinda busy showering to hold the cam

pdx89

pdx89

Banned
Awards
  • Established
cardio is preferred, but would could do high intensity lifts such as clean and jerk, snatch, deadlifts, squats. There are more too but I just can't think of them, the key to making this work is high reps, high sets and most importantly high intensity :thumbsup:

LSU Gladiator

LSU Gladiator

Awards
On the punching bag idea: You may be able to expedite your results by trying to think of ways to incorporate more leg motions in the exercise. The reason that running and elliptical cardio work so well is because they incorporate a great deal of lower body effort (working large muscle groups helps burn more calories). Maybe alternate between punching the bag and body weight squats or lunges- that is... if you aren't too sore from your killer leg day.

Also, like pdx is saying - you could do cross training instead of a cardio machine. Have you ever heard of crossfit? You should probably check them out.

IRONPOPE

IRONPOPE

Awards
  • Established
On the punching bag idea: You may be able to expedite your results by trying to think of ways to incorporate more leg motions in the exercise. The reason that running and elliptical cardio work so well is because they incorporate a great deal of lower body effort (working large muscle groups helps burn more calories). Maybe alternate between punching the bag and body weight squats or lunges- that is... if you aren't too sore from your killer leg day.

Also, like pdx is saying - you could do cross training instead of a cardio machine. Have you ever heard of crossfit? You should probably check them out.
Yeah ima just grin and bear it and hit that eliptical

but will add alot of bag work so i can keep the eliptical to a minimum

see what happens

Minnesota

Minnesota

Awards
try swimming too or working out in the water like doing high knees or doing sprints.

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
15-20 min moderate to high intensity on a stepper is what i do if i do cardio at all. I hate it as well.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
LSU suggested Crossfit - I highly encourage you to give it a shot. I have never, in all my years, seen anyone drop fat faster than the people who train Crossfit and follow a strict Zone diet. PM me if you ever want some Crossfit ideas - I got plenty of them.

2k2ser

Awards
  • Established
I hate cardio more than anything! It seems to put fatloss into overdrive though. Just something that can make your results alot better.