veggies dont count?

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
y am i reading that green vegetables (broccoli according to my diet) dont count as a carb? i look up 1 cup cooked broccoli florets on a calorie counter and im reading 6 protien and 10 grams carbs...

so y wouldnt i count the veggies as part of my caloric intake? i know theyre full of fiber ....but still so is brown rice and oatmeal and i certainly count that....

how does every1 else look at these veggies in their diet?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Veggies take just about as much energy to digest as they provide for the body. I personally never would count Broccoli, spinach, lettuce etc in my daily count unless I was a few weeks out from a body building show. If you are on a Keto Diet though I would pay attention to the carbs, they may not kick you out of Keto but I would gradually increase my amounts to see where the fine line would be.

BeafSteak

BeafSteak

Awards
y am i reading that green vegetables (broccoli according to my diet) dont count as a carb? i look up 1 cup cooked broccoli florets on a calorie counter and im reading 6 protien and 10 grams carbs...

so y wouldnt i count the veggies as part of my caloric intake? i know theyre full of fiber ....but still so is brown rice and oatmeal and i certainly count that....

most green vegetables have little to no effect on blood sugar levels where as brown rice and oatmeal do.

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
EAT VEGETABLES FOR FIBER
Vegetables are high in fiber, one of the most widely neglected bodybuilding nutrients. Fiber is an indigestible carbohydrate that supplies no calories to your body, but it does provide bulk, which slows digestion. This has two essential benefits. First, carbohydrates enter your body more slowly. This helps hold your blood sugar levels in check, keeping energy levels up and "crashes" at bay. When blood sugar levels crash, they cause a spike in cortisol, a catabolic hormone that breaks down muscle tissue and makes recovery more difficult. Second, fiber helps support the absorption of amino acids. It keeps the walls of your intestines clean, making them more efficient. This in turn allows you to get more bang for your buck from your protein consumption.

That was from flex magazine but it is a good description of why vegtables like broccoli dont count, all of the carbs in it are fibre and fibre isnt digested by the body, its just eliminated, which is how it keeps you regular lol. No effect on insulin levels and the is not stored as energy.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established

Just go by net carbs if on a keto. A cup of broccoli is like 2g net. Same w/ spinach. Beans and peas are a bit higher. Flax seed meal is about the only carb nuetral food I've found thus far, 2 weeks into my end of summer cut. No way there is that much protein in a cup of broccoli. Maybe 2g.

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
Just go by net carbs if on a keto. A cup of broccoli is like 2g net. Same w/ spinach. Beans and peas are a bit higher. Flax seed meal is about the only carb nuetral food I've found thus far, 2 weeks into my end of summer cut. No way there is that much protein in a cup of broccoli. Maybe 2g.
bro im serious google a calorie counter, even the bag of broccoli shows it as well. 6 grams protein, 10 grams carb per 1 cup cooked drained broccoli florets.

better yet here Calories in Broccoli - The Calorie Counter

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
The protein in vegtables isnt complete, so I pesonally dont count that in my daily totals.

Canadianguy

Canadianguy

Awards
The protein in vegtables isnt complete, so I pesonally dont count that in my daily totals.
ok so basically to replace the macronutrients i thouht i was taking in should i add more rice and some sort of potein to make up the small diff? so far ive managed to shed about 13-14 lbs in 4.5 weeks and still keep my str up so i cant be doing too bad.

what do u think?

oh and i c youre a fan of fouad. beleive it or not i train at the same gym as him here in ontario canada. pretty nice guy and hes diceed as hell right now doing about 4 shows i think .

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
Yeah Im a big fan of his, I follow Pro bodybuilding and since hes a fellow canadian I pull for him in every show. He has the pro bodybuilding weekly show this weekend in tampa, its a good field of competitors but I think he will do well, he looks as good as anyone in the pro's right now.

As for your question I think the difference would be so minimal that it wouldnt be too important to replace those macros with anything else. Your getting good results with your diet as it is, so I would go by the old addage of 'if it aint broke dont fix it' and leave your diet the way it is until you plateau or start losing alot of strength.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Vegetable carbohydrate is cellulose. It's our polysaccharide equivalent of glycogen but for plants. The difference is the oxygen linkages making a different orientation pattern in the glucose molecules where they only utilize beta 1-4 linkages in contrast to glycogen which uses alpha 1-4 linkages (other polysaccharides we call "carbs" are usually alpha 1-6).

We don't have an enzyme to metabolize beta linkages - therefore cellulose is NOT used by the human body. It just passes through. Remember all the nice benefits you hear about fiber? Yeah..

I don't count them and I don't know anyone who does. Some dietitians may argue it takes more calories to send them through the system than they give you. I use it as a buffer to bulk the size of my meals and prevent an insulin spike from protein/carbs.

Canadianguy: broccoli is revered highly in cutting because it does contain anti-oxidants but also contains lignans like nuts and legumes do - a phytochemical that stimulates adipose tissue to undergo lipolysis.