Hypothyroidism and weightloss help

MicchiBlu

MicchiBlu

Awards
Looking to lose about 60lbs. Currently my diet is about 1600 cals a day, but I suffer from hypothyroidism and its putting a serious monkey wrench into the mix. I was hoping I could get some help from anyone who knows about this type of thing, I know some about diets (avoid soy!) and working out. I keep myself well hydrated, and drink about 1.5 liters to 3 liters of water a day. Currently working out 4 days a week. Usually its a morning pool session 2 days a week for a knee injury, and at home circuit workout w/ added cardio on the other 2 days. I have no energy at all! For some reason lately when I wake up I feel tired as if I haven't had any rest. All of this is really starting to piss me off even more so than when I gained the weight due to this thyroid issue.

My stats:
5' 8"
230lbs
Currently eating (or as close as possible to) 160g of carbs, 120 g of protein and 53 grams of fat.

I am currently takes Levothyroxin 125mcg.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
Well, there are probably very few people that know anything about your condition on here, but right away I can see you need to increase your protein intake and also your training. Training 4 days a week, with three rest days is not the most effective training split for weight loss imo. Posting a sample of your daily diet will also help everyone here give you more help as well, but I can tell you right away that 1600 calories is not nearly enough, eating so few calories will put your body into starvation mode and grind your metabolism to a screeching hault, and drinking 3 litres of water should be a bare minimum for anyone involved in physical activity.

MicchiBlu

MicchiBlu

Awards
Well here a rough idea of I eat in a day:

Breakfast
2 slices 100% whole-grain bread.
1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites.
1 cup skim w/ 1 oz. cheese to eggs.

Snack
1 small red apple.
5 whole-grain crackerstopped with sliced
mozzarella.
Or
Protein Shake: Mix 20 g whey protein powder with 1 cup skim. Stir in 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed (optional).

Lunch
4 oz. seared tuna on a large bed of mixed greens, topped with 1 Tbsp. chopped walnuts and H cup whole-wheat croutons, drizzled with red wine vinaigrette.
Or
Turkey Burger served on a lower-calorie wheat bun w/ favorite cheese, 2 oz. thinly sliced.

Dinner
Shrimp Veggie Stir-Fry, using 5–6 oz. shrimp. Serve over cup of basmati rice.

Nighttime Snack Options
1 cup skim or soy milk; w/ a splash of vanilla or almond extract to flavor it.
Or.
cup no sugar-added ice cream.

So Timmo you are saying add more protein and more exercise to my diet?

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
Yeah absolutely, if your trying to lose 60lbs you need to be actively burning calories atleast 5 days out of 7, and an increased protein intake will help you keep your calories and metabolism up. In your morning meal I would add a few more egg whites, 2-3 more atleast. For your second meal ditch those crackers and cheese and stick with the shake and the apple. And for your nighttime snack never eat icecream, even tho it has no sugar added it still has alot of its own sugars and fat to boot, and that is definately not something you want to be eating before you go to sleep or really at anytime. I would swap that out for a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, a much better option before bed. As it stands now also your only taking in five meals per day, on a weight loss diet its recommended you eat every 2-3 hours, so depending on what time you wake up and what time you go to sleep it would be easy to add another meal or two in there high in protein and low in carbs, like a chicken breast and broccoli. This would help to keep your protein up and your metabolism rolling.

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
4 Things....

1. Hit cardio hard 30 - 40 min aday everyday, with hypo you have to keep that body burning calories.

2. Like Timmo said increase protein, this will increase the work your body has to do to digest a utilize the protein.

3. Try eating jalapeno peppers or cayenne pepper pills, 2 - 3 times aday with food. Capsaicin in the peppers is known for increase core temp and metabolism.

4. Try superset weight training 12 - 15 reps, 4 - 5 sets, the more it burns the better. latic acid is a known releaser on GH.

Gives all these a try and see how it works for you, it works for most of my clients.

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
micchiBlue

i was diagnosed with hypo thyroidism 3 yrs ago. there was nothing wrong with me prior to that energy was fine and weight was ok. just went for a check-up and this popped up in my bloodwork. i was on 75mcg but lowered it to 50 mcg of synthroid due to restlessness and heart palpitations. i weighed 170 at 5'6 and currently i am 160-165 i work out 3-4 times a week high reps and run 1-1.5 miles a day for 5 days a week. eat "fairly clean"..i do focus on low carbs 20-25 max a day...love burgers without bun. yourdiet seems ok except lower your carbs and bump ur protein up a bit. also watch what u take with ur meds. it says do not take any diet supps cause side effects can be serious due to toxicity.