High Cholesterol Reading-help needed

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Crap-

Just got my blood work done...Total was 249 :blink: , with HDL=59, LDL=172. Trig. were good (87). I've been working out and eating pretty good since April. My only supps are Cissus, Cailabol, Protein drinks (3-4 per week) and some creatine now & then. Doctor is giving me 3 months to get it down. Stats: 42, 5'11, 235 lbs (bf=approx. 18%). I workout 4 times a week with weights followed by 10-15 min. of HIIT on a stationary bike. Any type of running is out of the question because of a bad hip and knee injury. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions? I'd really prefer not to go on medication.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless it is genetic it may be your diet. Look at your sugar and fat intake. Fish oil, EVOO, ALA, Policosinals are supplement options.

G

Unless it is genetic it may be your diet. Look at your sugar and fat intake. Fish oil, EVOO, ALA, Policosinals are supplement options.

Yes post diet and history of family with cholesterol.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
The fish oils etc may raise your Tri's though. Add them in slowly at low dosages and retest.

Your HDL looks good.

Did the do a size comparison on the particle sizes of the LDL, HDL etc?

H

HairyLarry35

Awards
Meds aren't always a bad thing to at least get in under control. Obviously, make the changes already stated, if applicable, but consider the alternative.

HL

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I second posting up the diet.

G

The fish oils etc may raise your Tri's though. Add them in slowly at low dosages and retest.

Your HDL looks good.

Did the do a size comparison on the particle sizes of the LDL, HDL etc?

How would fish oil raise Triglycerides?

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
your LDL is high but the ratio is only 2.9, which from what i've read and understand - is nothing to worry about. the average is 3.6 and anything below that is below average for risk of heart disease. so, in any given population, you're less likely to have problems than the average male. i think the highest my ratio got was around 7 or so, which is real bad but now it's down to 3.1 and the docs say i'm perfectly fine. buddy of mine had a 455 total cholesterol with a HDL of 2, so figure that ratio out, lol.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
as for triglycerides, they're not even sure what role they play in health. high tri's seem to follow along with cholesterol but not always. hell, the medical community is stating that in 10-15 years, cholesterol won't even matter at all as they're finding it less and less useful all the time.

H

HairyLarry35

Awards
I'm curious about this, as well. Unless the amount of caloric intake is extremely high, there is no reason why triglycerides will increase. Adding some EFAs supps (which will have virtually no impact on raising the level unless taken at horrificly high doses) will, if anything, make you healthier.

HL

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established

I don't know. I am going by the recommendation of my cardiologist. My last labs indicated that my HDL had raised 2 pts and had shifted to the larger particle size. My LDL was still higher than she wanted and my triglycerides had risen.

I was taking 2 caps of an omega formula with each meal. She told me to drop the oils and swithed me to a different statin.

I have my next apt in a week and had the blood draw last monday so I will see if it made any difference.

I don't like being off of the EFAs and if there isn't a significant change I will be discussing it with her.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Lots of good stuff, thanks everyone. Typcial diet for me would be:
Breakfast: Protein shake
Mid Morning: Yoguart/Cliff bar
Lunch: Can of soup, sandwich (pb or turkey) or & lean cuisine with an apple
Snack: Peanuts or banana
Dinner: Varies, could be chicken w/ veggies, hamburger, etc.

80% of the time I eat pretty healthy, nothing crazy or bad. Maybe pizza once a week?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Crap-

Just got my blood work done...Total was 249 :blink: , with HDL=59, LDL=172. Trig. were good (87). I've been working out and eating pretty good since April. My only supps are Cissus, Cailabol, Protein drinks (3-4 per week) and some creatine now & then. Doctor is giving me 3 months to get it down. Stats: 42, 5'11, 235 lbs (bf=approx. 18%). I workout 4 times a week with weights followed by 10-15 min. of HIIT on a stationary bike. Any type of running is out of the question because of a bad hip and knee injury. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions? I'd really prefer not to go on medication.
Was the lab work done fasting? At least 12 hours?

Watch the Saturated Fat. PUFA's & MUFA's are the way to go. PUFA's help lower LDL but can also lower HDL. MUFA's lower LDL while preserving HDL.

Fish oils have not been found to raise Triglycerides as stated above, they are actually mega dosed to lower very high triglyceride levels. OMACOR® (omega-3-acid ethyl esters): FDA-approved omega-3

Extra Virgin Olive Oil should be your lipid of choice, just don't cook with it at too high a temperature.

Odds are that it is genetic if your numbers have always been elevated.

Advances in Treatment HAPI-Naples - Heart Attack Prevention Institute

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Well, I just ordered some Cycle Support from Anabolic Innovations. I read some pretty good reviews on here and BB.com, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I need to get my blood work redone in a few months, so we'll see how effective it is. To answer a previous question, yes, it was a 12 hour fast.
-Ed

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Evan,

Could you please send me an email at [email protected]

I would like to talk to you. My wife had bad Cholesterol readings, she is thin, eats mostly fish, vegetables, fruits and chicken. She too was told she would have to be put on Meds if the numbers didn't get better.

She started on Cycle Support and will have second set of blood tests taken to see if any effect.

Thank you

CROWLER

G

Evan,

I would like to talk to you. My wife had bad Cholesterol readings, she is thin, eats mostly fish, vegetables, fruits and chicken. She too was told she would have to be put on Meds if the numbers didn't get better.

She started on Cycle Support and will have second set of blood tests taken to see if any effect.

Thank you

CROWLER
Keep us posted Crowler, I hope her values come back in good range!

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Thanks buddy. I am not too sure it can actually work on Bad numbers which seem to be genetic, will be interesting to see

BTW why when I look at the voting USP Labs in in italics ??? ;)

CROWLER

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I'll do a review of the product once I receive it and then once again after I have my bloodwork done. I'm looking forward to it and I bet it stacks great with AP! :food:

F

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Personally I wouldn't sweat it. I'd do something simple like take Cycle Support or Now Foods Cholesterol support. I have been reading more and more that cholesterol is not playing a big as role in heart disease as the medical field(who want to sell their drugs) wants us to believe.

Inflamation is going to be the big find in time. I would add the systemic enzymes along with Cycle Support and you should be good.

Note- I am not a doctor, I only play one on TV.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Follow up

3 months later and the results are in:

Here are the numbers (before/after):
Total 249 / 209
LDL 172 / 138
HDL 59 / 51

As you can see, the results are very impressive! My total numbers and LDLs dropped by almost 20% and the only change I made was adding Cycle Support to my diet. My doctor said to keep doing what I've been doing the last 3 months. A big thumbs up to Anabolic Innovations!

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
Crap-

I had high numbers (cholesterol 228, triglycerides 92) and my doctor prescribed fish oils (2-3 mg of EPA daily) and 1200 MG of red yeast rice before bed. I now have total cholesterol of 168 (HDL 51 LDL 106) and my triglyceride level is 53.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established

Total 249 / 209
LDL 172 / 138
HDL 59 / 51

As you can see, the results are very impressive! My total numbers and LDLs dropped by almost 20% and the only change I made was adding Cycle Support to my diet. My doctor said to keep doing what I've been doing the last 3 months. A big thumbs up to Anabolic Innovations!

WOW take a look at the numbers after being on Cycle Support

DrnkMnky

DrnkMnky

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Evan,

Thank you

CROWLER
Any updates Mike? I'm very interested in the outcome.

DrnkMnky

DrnkMnky

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Total 249 / 209
LDL 172 / 138
HDL 59 / 51

That is an amazing improvement! Were you using 1 or 2 servings each day? And, was it 3 months of CS usage?

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
These are great results because I didn't change anything else. My diet stayed the same, I continued to do the same amount of exercise and the frequency, all I did was add Cycle Support!

I recently bought some Life Support (pill version of CS) and take that twice a day. Great stuff you have here!
-Ed

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
DrnkMnky-

This was after 3 months of Cycle Support use. I'd mix in the CS with my morning protein shake, which I had everyday. On the days I lifted (everyother), I'd have a second protein shake after I worked out with a second serving of CS.

C

Cerberus

Awards
Fabulous news! Glad you're back on the health track with the help of AI's product(s).

Once I finish my Pro Liver from Primaforce, I'm switching to AI's product.

What do people recommend? Cycle Support (powder), or Life? I would prefer taking powder, but I'm concerned about the flavor system. Any negative taste?

Congrats again Ed!

DrnkMnky

DrnkMnky

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Fabulous news! Glad you're back on the health track with the help of AI's product(s).

Once I finish my Pro Liver from Primaforce, I'm switching to AI's product.

What do people recommend? Cycle Support (powder), or Life? I would prefer taking powder, but I'm concerned about the flavor system. Any negative taste?

Congrats again Ed!
I you prefer powder then go with Cycle Support. I use peanut butter flavor and mix it in with my choc. Micellar Matrix and milk pre bed. I think it tastes very good and actually look forward to it sometimes.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
The taste isn't bad at all and it mixes in well with the shake. Thanks for your comments!
Ed

riseboi

riseboi

Awards
  • Established
Bump...

edvamp, has CS continued to help with your level?

I just got some labs back and this is what I have as far cholesterol

Total 209
Tri. 33
HDL 82
LDL 120

From what I understand, high HDL is good (if I'm wrong please advise), but I'd like to lower my LDL. Do you think Life Support would be beneficial? Thinking back, I don't think I have been getting as much fiber as I should too, so I will correct this issue as well.

Suggestion anyone?

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Hello Riseboi-

I'm not a doctor, but in my opinion, your numbers are very good.
Your HDL reading is great. Anything above 60 is optimal and you are 82. As for your LDL, 100 - 129 is considered Near optimal/above optimal, so 120 is in that range. I think whatever you are doing is working for you! That said, I'm continuing to use Life Support(pills) or Cycle Support on a daily basis and I think it's a great product. I'll have my numbers run again in 6 months.

Ed

riseboi

riseboi

Awards
  • Established
Hello Riseboi-

I'm not a doctor, but in my opinion, your numbers are very good.
Your HDL reading is great. Anything above 60 is optimal and you are 82. As for your LDL, 100 - 129 is considered Near optimal/above optimal, so 120 is in that range. I think whatever you are doing is working for you! That said, I'm continuing to use Life Support(pills) or Cycle Support on a daily basis and I think it's a great product. I'll have my numbers run again in 6 months.

Ed
Thanks Ed,

Yeah, I'm not overly worried about my levels but since my Dad and sister take meds for it I figure it wouldn't hurt to look into lowering my LDL a bit. I spoke with my dad and he even told me most of my aunts and uncles have had issues with cholesterol. I think I'll give Life Support a try on my next order. Either way it'll probably be good for my general health.

Thanks again.