possible camph problems?

Pit Bull

Awards
I've been taking camph again for a little over a week and have noticed soreness in my lower back and before when I used it to cut back in Jan.-mid Feb. I also noticed this same problem in my lower back. Here's an article I read about forslean:

(KU School of Medicine, 2006)

KANSAS CITY, Kan. – An internationally renowned researcher in the study of polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is presenting some groundbreaking findings this week at the American Society of Nephrology Meeting in
Philadelphia (Nov. 10-12th).

Jared Grantham, MD, University Distinguished Professor at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC), Trey Putnam, PhD, Midwest Research Institute (MRI), and a team of collaborators have identified a bizarre substance in the massively enlarged kidneys of patients with polycystic kidney disease. The researchers have known for years that the kidneys accumulated a highly potent fatty-like substance with the capacity to stimulate growth. Enlarged polycystic kidneys eventually lead to end-stage renal disease.

Grantham and his team have been attempting to identify the fatty-like chemical in the cysts for more than 12 years. With grant support from the KUMC/MRI Collaborative Research Awards program, they finally assigned a molecular weight to the lipid and created a molecular formula, C22H3407. But they still didn’t know what it was.

So just for fun, Grantham plugged the formula into a Google search on his computer.

"Voila! Up popped a picture of a plant, Coleus forskolii," Grantham said. "We learned that the chemical in the enlarged cysts of PKD patients is forskolin – the same as the chemically-active ingredient in the roots of this herb grown in India."

Forskolin is now a popular health food supplement used to treat thyroid conditions, lower cholesterol and reduce blood pressure.

"It was a surprising discovery," Grantham added. But how did it get into these patients? They weren’t taking any of the commercial preparations containing forskolin. We’re almost certain that the cells in the cysts make the forskolin in much the same way that the chemical substance is made in the plant.

"This is a remarkable discovery for several reasons," Grantham said. "We have discovered a substance that is a potential wrecker of polycystic kidneys, contributing to the uncontrollable growth of multiple cysts within human kidneys. This new knowledge will help us better understand the process of cyst growth and hopefully lead to treatments, therapies and preventions."

"We also learned that patients with PKD should not take any supplement or product that contains forskolin because it may aggravate their condition."

"And, it took this special disease, PKD, and a Google search to discover this substance that is created in both plants and the human body, which is the case for a few other chemical substances."

"This is what we mean by 'discovery research.' It's discovering something entirely new. It's like being an explorer and discovering a whole new mountain range."

PKD is the most common of all life-threatening genetic diseases, affecting 600,000 Americans and an estimated 12.5 million people worldwide. It is more common than cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, and sickle cell anemia combined. There is no known cure or treatment for PKD.
Grantham is a pioneer in the PKD research movement, which began on the KUMC campus in the late 1970s and now involves hundreds of scientists worldwide. He is the former director of the Kidney Institute and founder of the PKD Foundation, which annually provides nearly $3 million in research funding throughout the United States. In 2003, Grantham received the Lillian Jean Kaplan International Prize for Advancement in the Understanding of Polycystic Kidney Disease.

Furthermore, the unfortunate combination of ephedrine as a deep penetrant inducer and theophylline may act synergistially as poteniators for this problem (perhaps as they do with phenobarbitol).

I hope I am wrong, I've spent a little time working with nephrologists and know a bit about polycystic kidney disease.

Twas Scull's report of kidney pain that perked my ears up...

This suggests that he is either hypersensitive to this product - or that he has an as yet undiagonosed PKD condition.

Not to say anything bad about the product at all because it was very helpful in achieving my goal before but I was hoping for any help on this.

Other supps I'm taking by the way are multi, flax oil, fish oil, alcar, cissus, glucosamine/chondrointin, bcaa's and basic cuts only if I need the extra boost which is rare.

thanks

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hmm, been on camph for months now.... be interested to here more.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
We discussed this study before and although it freaked me out initially, you have to look deeper.

First off, you can't just Google up a compound based on the kind of nomenclature these yo-yo's used. It could be a lot of different compounds..not just forselean. It's more than a little irresponsible for them to try to ID the compound using Google..and then publish their results in this manner.

Secondly, the disease in question is a genetic disorder so coleus wouldn't be the cause of it.

Even if PKD were producing forselean..you'd have to ask why this is and not jump to the conclusion that forselean is the ultimate cause of the disease or even the cysts. To do otherwise would be bad science.

Pit Bull

Awards
We discussed this study before and although it freaked me out initially, you have to look deeper.

First off, you can't just Google up a compound based on the kind of nomenclature these yo-yo's used. It could be a lot of different compounds..not just forselean. It's more than a little irresponsible for them to try to ID the compound using Google..and then publish their results in this manner.

Secondly, the disease in question is a genetic disorder so coleus wouldn't be the cause of it.

Even if PKD were producing forselean..you'd have to ask why this is and not jump to the conclusion that forselean is the ultimate cause of the disease or even the cysts. To do otherwise would be bad science.
I just found out that PKD was genetically passed but didn't know that when I posted this thread and to my knowledge no one in my family has it. I realize that it is a bit sketchy for a DR. to just google it up but when I read it I had that oh sh!t reaction. I may have possible stones or something that not necessarily forslean but other ingredients or the combo of ingredients could be causing a bad reaction. Either way I've discontinued use to see if it is the problem or something else.

thanks

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree with bioman.

C22H3407 <-- This can be at least a few dozen completely different molecules.

This is what forskolin looks like

Change the location of any single carbon atom in there, or the orientation of the bonds, and you have completely different molecules with totally different properties.

supaman

Awards
i had some "tightness", not pain per se, in my back when taking camph a year ago when it first debuted.

i got this same tightness with 1-AD/ M1T though.

I believe that a common side effect from boosting hormones, which forskolin does or may.