super cissus and prescription drugs

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
recently i recommended super cissus to my parents who are in their 60s and have back pain/leg pain.

my mom got a bottle but before she took any she read the warning label on the cissus. she doesn't know whether she should take the cissus because she is on high blood pressure meds.

is cissus safe to take with blood pressure/ statin drugs ?

what, if any, prescription drugs are safe with cissus?

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
That's something she really needs to talk to her doctor about.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
why would a medical doctor google some supplement he's never heard of, manufactured by a company he has never heard of, and try to guess at whether it is safe - especially when his job is to write out prescriptions?

i figured someone from USP should know the answer to these questions since.......cissus is a joint supplement. older people tend to need joint supplements more than others. older people also tend to be on medication.

why WOULDN'T USP know this?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
The doctor wouldnt even look it up before telling her not to take the supplement. At least your average doctor would.

eatingisfun

eatingisfun

Awards
  • Established
They can't really give you an answer since giving medical advice in the USA without a medical license can get you sued. Based on the ingredients and MOA I don't think there is any issue but the only way to know is by starting off slow and going from there.
FDA come get me

fishn4life

Awards
I have been taking usplabs super cissus for 2 months now with my vytorin 10/20 and have had no issues. had blood work done last month and everything looked good.

MorningMetal

Awards
1. If the doctor is halfway decent, I guarantee he will have heard of Cissus. It is one of the most widely used natural remedies for joint pain, having been used for centuries. Part of medical school entails a course in natural or homeopathic remedies. Don't assume he's never heard of it.

2. USP Labs can't make a recommendation or a diagnosis as to whether a drug that they don't manufacture and aren't familiar with (statins) will interact with the Cissus. There are no medical doctors, and to make such assumptions or recommendations would result in a lawsuit, especially if something tragic happens as a result. They physically cannot test all the products they make against every single prescription drug out there. To do so would take thousands upon thousands of studies, years of research, and the conclusions would be correlary at best. Everybody's body chemistry is very different, and to think that USP would automatically know what would happen in every situation is, well, kind of ignorant on your part.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1. If the doctor is halfway decent, I guarantee he will have heard of Cissus. It is one of the most widely used natural remedies for joint pain, having been used for centuries. Part of medical school entails a course in natural or homeopathic remedies. Don't assume he's never heard of it.

2. USP Labs can't make a recommendation or a diagnosis as to whether a drug that they don't manufacture and aren't familiar with (statins) will interact with the Cissus. There are no medical doctors, and to make such assumptions or recommendations would result in a lawsuit, especially if something tragic happens as a result. They physically cannot test all the products they make against every single prescription drug out there. To do so would take thousands upon thousands of studies, years of research, and the conclusions would be correlary at best. Everybody's body chemistry is very different, and to think that USP would automatically know what would happen in every situation is, well, kind of ignorant on your part.
Exactly.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
thanks fishn4life and eatingisfun for the refreshing useful information.