OEP and Tyramine

dekd

Awards
Well I've read about how yohimbe interacts with tyramine, and it kinda freaked me out a bit. Does the alpha-yohimbe react the same to tyramine? And if so, what foods should I avoid to be as healthy and safe as possible??

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well I've read about how yohimbe interacts with tyramine, and it kinda freaked me out a bit. Does the alpha-yohimbe react the same to tyramine? And if so, what foods should I avoid to be as healthy and safe as possible??
I have no background in this. I have forwarded your post to someone who should be able to help you out.

We appreciate your patience.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Tyramine is a naturally-occuring trace amine that is found in its highest concentrations in fermented foods and beverages including aged meat, many types of cheeses, wine, overripe fruits, certain soy-containing foods, and so on. In general, tyramine is formed during the breakdown of proteins that occurs when foods age. Tyramine belongs to the phenethylamine family and is also synthesized from tyrosine. Usually, tyramine is synthesized in the liver to an inactive metabolite. However, in the presence of the hepatic inhibition of monoamine oxidase [MAO-A] (tyramine is deaminated by MAO-A) by appropriate drugs, tyramine levels rapidly accumulate, ultimately leading to excess norepinephrine concentrations and hypertensive attacks. Ordinarily, however, tyramine is harmless, but can produce serious side effects if combined with MOA inhibitor drugs, especially MAO-A inhibitors, but not selective MAO-B inhibitors.

A specific yohimbe alkaloid is postulated to possess mild in vitro MAO inhibitor (MAOI) activity. Rauwolscine, an a2-adrenoceptor antagonist, may exert pre-synaptic imidazoline-receptor antagonist activity, and may influence cardiovascular and neurotransmitter activity via those channels. Furthermore, rauwolscine may, in principle, also influence neurotransmitter activity via its partial 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT)-receptor (5-HT1A) agonist and 5-HT2-receptor antagonist actions. Overall, though, rauwolscine appears to have the benefits of yohimbine, without yohimbine’s side effects. So, rauwolscine (apha-yohimbine, not alpha-yohimbe) has a different pharmacological activity than yohimbe or yohimbine, for that matter. Nevertheless, any individual on a prescribed MAOI, especially an MAO-A inhibitor, should consult their medical practitioner before using supplements.

For those interested, monoamine oxidase (MAO) is a brain (and liver) protein enzyme that catalyzes (breaks down) neurotransmitters, also known as monoamines, such as dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine. More precisely, there are two types of MAO isoenzymes, namely, MAO-A (deaminates dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine) and MAO-B (deaminates phenylethylamine and dopamine). Normally, MAO breaks down the amounts of these neurotransmitters after they complete the process of message transmission in the brain. Blocking the action of MAO, therefore, can lead to increased levels of neurotransmitters. Accordingly, MAO-A inhibitors increase levels of serotonin and norepinephrine and are used in the treatment of depressive states, while MAO-B inhibitors increase levels of dopamine and is used in the treatment of Parkinsonian states. This enhanced level of neurotransmitters is the basis of the use of MAO inhibitors (MAOIs), a powerful class of anti-depressant drugs, in the medical intervention for the treatment of depressive conditions [as these conditions are associated with low levels of neurotransmitters]. Examples of non-selective, general MAOIs include phenelzine, tranylcypromine, and isocarboxazid. Selective MAO-A inhibitors include clorgyline and moclobemide, while selective MAO-B inhibitors include selegeline and pargyline.

As it turns out, patients with depression-related conditions and that are undergoing treatment with MAOIs or Selective Serotonin-Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) should avoid amphetamine-like compounds and tyramine-containing foods, as tyramine dose-dependently interacting with MAOIs can trigger dangerous elevations in blood pressure via a norepinephrine-displacement related pathway that floods the system with norepinephrine, or via the excess accumulation of catecholamines. Other serious side effects may also ensue from the combination of MOAI drugs and tyramine-containing foods or supplements.

dekd

Awards
Working on making some sense of that I don't know a whole lot of the scientific terms. From what I read it looks like your saying the rauwolscine reacts differenty to tyramine than regular yohimbe? Making it safer with foods containing tyramine?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Working on making some sense of that I don't know a whole lot of the scientific terms. From what I read it looks like your saying the rauwolscine reacts differenty to tyramine than regular yohimbe? Making it safer with foods containing tyramine?
Yes, rauwolscine is generally safer than yohimbine (and yohimbine is generally safer than yohimbe). People on recommended MAOIs should consult with a medical practitioner, though, in terms of tyramine-containing foods.