Need some advice on OEP, Recreate, diet, and marathon training

mullenje2003

Awards
Hello:

So I am a 29-year-old female training for a marathon on March. I am concurrently trying to lose fat and gain muscle without impacting my cardio training. I have started taking Recreate and OEP, and can't really take more than 1-2 OEP and/or 1-2 Recreate a day (or I feel kindof whacked out). Also, I have been taking both supplements for a week and have been eating less and not really seeing any results yet... so I think I need to make some modifications here!

I am 5'3" and weigh 136lbs. I really want to lean out, as the lighter you are the easier it is to pound out the miles. Oh and just to be clear I have done a few half-marathons and am in pretty good shape--I run 8-minute miles usually. However I have dropped too much muscle from straight dieting in the past which really impeded my training, hence why I started on the Recreate / OEP path. I was hoping to maybe get some advice on supplementation (including the Recreate and OEP) and diet--I never received a diet plan with my OEP because I purchased it at GNC (duh-duh-duh). However, I understand that the recommended diet plan is protein heavy/low carb... but as my workouts are pretty cardio heavy, I wanted to make sure I am getting enough carbs. So could anyone suggest some diet help inline with my training goals? Also, does anyone know how OEP and Recreate affect long-distance training? I popped an OEP and did a 13-mile run on Saturday and it was brutal (I have run 15+ mile runs a few times without issue). I think it really dehydrated me or something. Oh so I lift twice a week, do corework three times a week, and do cardio 5 times a week with one run that is 13 miles or longer. I take L-Glutamine, Fish oil, and CLA as well. Thanks!

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
Keep your protein intake high (shoot for 1.5+ grams per pound of body weight) and you should be able to maintain your muscle. If you're not already, start drinking protein shakes after you train.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello:

So I am a 29-year-old female training for a marathon on March. I am concurrently trying to lose fat and gain muscle without impacting my cardio training. I have started taking Recreate and OEP, and can't really take more than 1-2 OEP and/or 1-2 Recreate a day (or I feel kindof whacked out). Also, I have been taking both supplements for a week and have been eating less and not really seeing any results yet... so I think I need to make some modifications here!

I am 5'3" and weigh 136lbs. I really want to lean out, as the lighter you are the easier it is to pound out the miles. Oh and just to be clear I have done a few half-marathons and am in pretty good shape--I run 8-minute miles usually. However I have dropped too much muscle from straight dieting in the past which really impeded my training, hence why I started on the Recreate / OEP path. I was hoping to maybe get some advice on supplementation (including the Recreate and OEP) and diet--I never received a diet plan with my OEP because I purchased it at GNC (duh-duh-duh). However, I understand that the recommended diet plan is protein heavy/low carb... but as my workouts are pretty cardio heavy, I wanted to make sure I am getting enough carbs. So could anyone suggest some diet help inline with my training goals? Also, does anyone know how OEP and Recreate affect long-distance training? I popped an OEP and did a 13-mile run on Saturday and it was brutal (I have run 15+ mile runs a few times without issue). I think it really dehydrated me or something. Oh so I lift twice a week, do corework three times a week, and do cardio 5 times a week with one run that is 13 miles or longer. I take L-Glutamine, Fish oil, and CLA as well. Thanks!
1) It is not clear what you meant by "I have been taking both supplements for a week and have been eating less and not really seeing any results yet." Could you be a tad more specific?
2) If you have been taking 1 OEP/1 Recreate twice daily (once in the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach, and again about six hours later on an empty stomach before another meal), and have tolerated the dose, I would not recommend going higher.
OEP/Recreate should support your focus and concentration, help improve energy and endurance, help modulate appetite, enhance thermogenesis and lipolysis, as well as support anti-catabolism (muscle preservation). To assist in fat burning and muscle preservation, however, you might consider adding Forskolin to your stack. In particular, start with 20mg extra Forskolin per day. You can add it to any of your OEP/Recreate doses or take it separately. Increase your Forskolin dose gradually (every second day) and aim to reach 50mg extra Forskolin after about one week.
3) While on OEP/Recreate, or any supplement for that matter, be sure you stay hydrated. Review your daily intake of water, and increase accordingly. This is even more important, given the amount of cardio you do.
4) If your training is cardio-intensive, it would be useful to ensure you get not only enough proteins (like a poster suggested earlier), but also (complex) carbohydrates and healthy fats. You know your body. Adjust these macronutrients accordingly. You can get some healthy fats from fish oil (the EPA/DHA content is key), Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) oil from coconut oil, and extra virgin oilve oil.

mullenje2003

Awards
how much ARE you eating?
My diet isn't as strict as those posted by most people on this site, so I think I need to step things up! I eat more carbs in the morning (oatmeal with banana or these little oatcakes I like), usually a turkey sandwich for lunch (wheat bread, mustard, l+t), a protein bar for snack (200 cals. or less) and/or fruit, and dinner is varied: soup or meat & veggies. However sometimes at work I have totally senseless candy snacks of tootsie rolls or red vines. I have been eating roughly 1500 calories a day, sometimes as low as 1200 and sometimes between 1800 and 2000. I need to do a better job monitoring empty calories that I add to my tea at night, consume at work, and as my dessert treats (usually 1-2 of these 50-calorie chocolates). My protein intake is atrociously low sometimes so I am really working on that, and cleaning up my excessive sugar consumption. Today I had an egg-white scramble with veggies for breakfast and am going to focus on getting more protein in the morning for sure.

mullenje2003

Awards
Keep your protein intake high (shoot for 1.5+ grams per pound of body weight) and you should be able to maintain your muscle. If you're not already, start drinking protein shakes after you train.
Thank you for that protein recommendation, I really need that!!!

mullenje2003

Awards
1) It is not clear what you meant by "I have been taking both supplements for a week and have been eating less and not really seeing any results yet." Could you be a tad more specific?

Well, prior to today, for the last two weeks that I have been taking OEP and Recreate, I was only able to tolerate 1 OEP a day and 1-2 Recreate. I understand this probably hindered my progress, but that OEP is really strong and it was making me feel skittish at times. I did have 2 OEPs today and 2 Recreates (all well spaced out) and feel good... so I think I am at my optimal consumption level. I have been consuming approx. 1500 calories a day.

Ciep

Ciep

Awards
Mullenje,

These things affect everyone differently but from my experience OEP works phenomenally well as a pre-run supplement. I'm focusing on running myself (about 25 miles a week right now) and I've had the opportunity to try OEP before a few runs. Traditionally I've always HATED stimulants pre-run, but for whatever reason OEP feels great. The stim effect is very subtle for me -- it doesn't "hit" me like an energy drink, it just makes me feel alert, awake, and good (for lack of a better word). I've taken it first thing AM on a totally empty stomach (2 caps), I eat 30 min later (25g whey protein, and banana), then run 30 min after that. So I'm taking the OEP exactly 1 hour before running. I enjoy running anyway (hooray endorphins!), but OEP seems to make it feel even more effortless than usual. Bear in mind I've only tried it for a few days, but this is my experience so far.

Also, you say you're training for a marathon -- and that you're ALSO trying to lose weight? Just be careful -- don't persue the weightloss too aggressively. The high mileage training that you're doing for the marathon should produce some noticeable weightloss without you even having to think about it (assuming you actually have the weight to lose of course). If I was you I wouldn't sacrifice calories that you might need for energy/recovery in an attempt to lose extra weight. You mentioned that on some days you take in as few as 1200 calories, that seems awfully low for someone 8 weeks out from a marathon! In my experience, marathon training is a lot more enjoyable (and successful) if you allow your body all the calories it wants - just get them from healthy sources. You might not lose quite as much weight, but you'll probably have a better marathon (and not crash on those 13 mile LRs ;)

Best of luck, enjoy the road!

Oh and check out the book Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger. Best book I've ever read on running.

tyger76

Awards
for your meals, it is important to follow a 40-30-30 ratio (protein, carb, fat) and space meals 3-4 hours apart; try, instead of the wheat bread, a grain called quinoa (it's really a seed more so than a grain) it contains a perfect ratio of complex carbs and protein... also include sweet potatoes which keep blood sugar steady and is actually a fibrous vegetable not a starch!! i am a vegan so i use tempeh for my protein but i HIGHLY recommend salmon (wild caught, more EFA's) rather than the supplement... btw LOVE OEP!! i don't stack with recreate, i have enough with the 2 pills per day GOOD LUCK!!

mullenje2003

Awards
Mullenje,

These things affect everyone differently but from my experience OEP works phenomenally well as a pre-run supplement. I'm focusing on running myself (about 25 miles a week right now) and I've had the opportunity to try OEP before a few runs. Traditionally I've always HATED stimulants pre-run, but for whatever reason OEP feels great. The stim effect is very subtle for me -- it doesn't "hit" me like an energy drink, it just makes me feel alert, awake, and good (for lack of a better word). I've taken it first thing AM on a totally empty stomach (2 caps), I eat 30 min later (25g whey protein, and banana), then run 30 min after that. So I'm taking the OEP exactly 1 hour before running. I enjoy running anyway (hooray endorphins!), but OEP seems to make it feel even more effortless than usual. Bear in mind I've only tried it for a few days, but this is my experience so far.

Also, you say you're training for a marathon -- and that you're ALSO trying to lose weight? Just be careful -- don't persue the weightloss too aggressively. The high mileage training that you're doing for the marathon should produce some noticeable weightloss without you even having to think about it (assuming you actually have the weight to lose of course). If I was you I wouldn't sacrifice calories that you might need for energy/recovery in an attempt to lose extra weight. You mentioned that on some days you take in as few as 1200 calories, that seems awfully low for someone 8 weeks out from a marathon! In my experience, marathon training is a lot more enjoyable (and successful) if you allow your body all the calories it wants - just get them from healthy sources. You might not lose quite as much weight, but you'll probably have a better marathon (and not crash on those 13 mile LRs ;)

Best of luck, enjoy the road!

Oh and check out the book Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger. Best book I've ever read on running.
Hey I wanted to thank you for feedback! You were totally right by the way; I am pretty sure my bonking was from a lack of calories before and during my long runs :) I thankfully completed a 20-mile run (only two weeks shy of my marathon no less--and yes I know I am dipping into the tapering period but it's my last long run, I swear!) and felt great due to proper nutrition before and two gels and gatorade while running... I previously wasn't taking in any calories while running too often and that was reaaaaaallly hindering me obviously. I know that might sound crazy to a lot of people on here but I don't tolerate food very well before or during running, and my body runs fine without too many calories in my system...until of course I started running 15-mile-runs every weekend. :)

But ANYWAY--i had to take a T.O. from the OEP--it really wasn't working well with my system when I was in such a critical point in my marathon training. I am glad that you mentioned the runner's high because I of course love that as well--and I actually felt like the OEP was taking away from it (versus how you felt like it was enhancing it!) And what's even funnier about that is that I used to take Full Blown Extreme before going on a runs and I loved how that made me feel. Granted after my runs I felt whacked of my head for a few hours but at least I didn't need to drink any coffee for the rest of the day. I also get this feeling of complete and utter exhaustion in the afternoon when I take OEP... does that happen to anyone else? Anyway, I am going to start taking them again when I am done with my marathon, which is in less than two weeks! At this point though, I don't want to jeopardize all of my training in any way.

mullenje2003

Awards
for your meals, it is important to follow a 40-30-30 ratio (protein, carb, fat) and space meals 3-4 hours apart; try, instead of the wheat bread, a grain called quinoa (it's really a seed more so than a grain) it contains a perfect ratio of complex carbs and protein... also include sweet potatoes which keep blood sugar steady and is actually a fibrous vegetable not a starch!! i am a vegan so i use tempeh for my protein but i HIGHLY recommend salmon (wild caught, more EFA's) rather than the supplement... btw LOVE OEP!! i don't stack with recreate, i have enough with the 2 pills per day GOOD LUCK!!
Thank you for the nutrition advice. I definitely have some Quinoa in my cupboard, I have just been too lazy to make it. Yes, I know that is ridiculous. I have also been eating salmon whenever possible, mosltly lox on some bread or something. I was doing really well for a few days..then the last two days I have been eating a bunch of crappy sugar... but luckily your post is inspiring me to get back on track, THANKS!