Getting My Kicks On "Route 66"

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Getting My Kicks On "Route 66"

Sunday, September 7, 2008

"Get Your Kicks on Route 66," often rendered simply as "Route 66," is a popular song and rhythm and blues standard, composed in 1946 by American songwriter Bobby Troup. It was first recorded in the same year by Nat King Cole, and was subsequently covered by many artists including Chuck Berry in 1961 and The Rolling Stones in 1964. The song's lyrics follow the path of the U.S. Route 66 highway, which used to run a long distance across the US, going from Chicago, Illinois to Los Angeles, California. There was even a popular TV show in the early 60's with the title, "Route 66."

I chose the name of my new Journal because like the song's title, "Route 66," I will be 66 years-old the next time I step onto a bodybuilding stage and I plan to "Get My Kicks" along the way by having a fun time preparing for my next Professional competition.

My final contest of this year was the 2008 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe in Ft. Lee, Virginia on June 28. I won my fifth Best Poser award at the show and placed 2nd in my age group. I had also placed 2nd at the 2008 FAME Masters Pro World Championships in Toronto, Canada two weeks earlier.

While I entered both events in my best-ever condition, in each case I was bested by a man who was less conditioned than me, but was several pounds heavier. Not one to lick my wounds and cry "foul," I was determined to get to work to bring my own "bigger" package to the stage next time.

I am in my third month of a lean mass gain program designed to add as much muscle as I can while keeping the usual accompanying additional fat in check. I am eating more (clean diet) and am lifting very heavy (for me) in the gym. My weight on June 28 was 140 pounds. My weight this morning is 165 pounds. I will stay around this weight until it's time to cut for my show. I believe I can come in hard and lean at around 150 pounds, 10 pounds more than I did this year.

I was around 6% body fat on stage for my last two shows. I was cut and defined, but, small. I may have to give up a few percentage points in fat in order to "look" bigger at 150 pounds. I'll make that decision when the time comes.

Since February 1st, I have been a full-time Certified Master Fitness Trainer at the Birmingham, Alabama YMCA. I average around 28 hours of personal training sessions each week. Five of my clients are training with me to prepare for their first bodybuilding competition. I have one middle weight and four heavy weights. Their ages range from 24 years-old to 50. I have all of them working the same training plans that I am using for my own training. I always tell my athletes I don't make them do anything I can't do. They are all preparing for a local NGA contest next May in Birmingham. It's possible that I will have all five of my competitors on stage in the Novice Class.

The plan we are currently using was designed by my friend and fellow bodybuilder, Sean "Sully" Sullivan of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. It's called "The Widow Maker" and it's a buster:

The Widow Maker Power Workout - A Four Week Training Plan

The purpose of this plan is to grow lean, hard muscle mass by lifting heavy for several sets with little rest in between, using the same weight load and then doing a Widow-Maker set of many reps for the same exercise.

Here is the Plan:

Keep the same weight for all 6 sets, but you may lose a rep or two at the end. For example set 1 - 4 you get the 6 reps, set 5, 5 reps and the last set 4. Pick a good weight and don't lower it even if it means 2-3 reps total on the last set.

On the high rep sets don't just do them light and go through the motions, go heavy and hard. For example on the 50 reps of squats pick a weight you can only get 20-30 reps with and then just take 2-3 deep breaths and bang out 4-6 more reps, breath and do more until you get the reps in. This is the Widow Maker set!

The rest between sets is 60-seconds and do a few warm-up sets before you begin the exercise

Stretch or Pose the working muscle between sets for 20-30 seconds.

Day 1:

Incline Bench Dumbbell Press – 6 x 6, 1 X 20

Flat Bench Dumbbell Press – 6 x 6, 1 X 20

High Pulls (wide grip upright row, but you pull to the forehead) – 4 x 4

Heavy Laterals – 3 x 8

Press Down – 4 x 10

Decline Dumbbell Extensions - 4 X 8

Day 2:

Leg Press – 6 x 6, 1 X 40

Squats – 6 x 6, 1 X 30

Hack Squat – 6 x 6, 1 X 20

Leg Curls– 5 x 8

Leg Extensions – 4 x 10

Day 3:

Reverse Grip Barbell Row – 6 x 6, 1 X 20

Medium Grip Pull Down – 6 x 6, 1 X 20

Dead Lifts – 6 x 6, 1 X 30

Barbell Curls – 4 x 6

Preacher Curls – 4 x 10

Day 4:

Lunges - 6 X 6, 1 X 20

Seated Leg Curls - 6 x 6

Wide stance Squats (feet out wide, toes pointed out) - 6 X 6, 1 X 50

Dumbbell Stiff Leg Dead Lifts - 6 X 6

Step Ups (Step up, one leg at a time, on a high bench or aerobic step) 6 X 6

Calves and Abs work is done twice a week. Pick one exercise and do 5-6 sets of as many reps as you can do for each.

Do Cardio on off days from weights, 20 minutes of HITT or intervals. Do 5 min warm-up and 5 minute cool down so total time is 30 min with 20 being interval or HITT.

Needless to say, we are all walking around sore as hell. This is a great plan.

I hope you follow my progress on "Route 66" and enjoy the ride. Thank you for your interest.

Old Navy

Last edited:
borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good luck with this log buddy! We will all be watching!

PS - RT66 goes near my house :)

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, September 19, 2008

Off Season Weight: 165.0

It's been a busy two weeks since my last post in this journal. I continue to work Monday-Friday at the Mountain Brook (Birmingham) YMCA as a Master Fitness Trainer. I have 20 clients who train with me for 30+ hours a week. I also work with my training partner 90-minutes a day starting at 6:30 AM. My last client of the day trains at 5:00 or 5:30, so I'm spending nearly 11 hours a day at the Y. I love every minute of my time there.

Five of my clients are bodybuilders training for their first contests. One is a non-tested middle weight athlete and four are heavyweight natters. I'm having a great time watching their bodies change with the hard training and diet we are using. We are aiming for a show in May or June of 2009. We are all working the Widow Maker plan. It's very hard and very effective. We will probably work this plan for one more week and then switch to Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST) for awhile.

Last Friday, I was featured in Senior Living, a local newspaper for seniors. They did a story on me in the "Seniors Making a Difference" section. Cool. That same day, I was the guest speaker at the Vestavia Hills (Birmingham) Rotary Club luncheon and gave a presentation to 80 members on Life Style and Fitness for the Mature Athlete. It was well received.

My training is going well. I am three months into my year-long hiatus from competing in order to add a little size. Since my last show on June 28, I have gained 25 pounds. I of course don't look cut any longer, but I still have decent vascularity and I do see some increase in size, especially in my legs and chest. Happy Days!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Last Friday, I was featured in Senior Living, a local newspaper for seniors. They did a story on me in the "Seniors Making a Difference" section. Cool. That same day, I was the guest speaker at the Vestavia Hills (Birmingham) Rotary Club luncheon and gave a presentation to 80 members on Life Style and Fitness for the Mature Athlete. It was well received.
That is a huge deal. Wow, very cool...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You rock Old Navy! You gives us 35+ guys hope.

And Route 66 runs through my town as well.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, October 11, 2008

I'm proud to announce the birth of my first grandson. Jayden was born Tuesday, September 30 in Newport Beach, California weighing 8.1 pounds. The future bodybuilder and his mom are doing fine. My wife, Vivian was in California for the birth and to help the new mom with her son. She returned home on Wednesday night. We have been blessed with two grandchildren this year. My oldest daughter gave birth to a girl, Gianna Marie in February. Little Gianna is a happy child who is crawling up a storm. We get to see more of our granddaughter as she lives in Birmingham, Alabama, close to Vivian and me.

My off season training continues to go well. I have added 20 pounds of weight and only 1% of body fat. That's cool. I'm training hard and eating clean. I hope to be ten pounds heavier than I was this year when I step on to a stage in mid 2009.

I am personal training more than 30 hours-a-week. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time in the gym. I have my five bodybuilder clients working the Escalation Density Training (EDT) plan, coupled with the Hungarian Oak Legs Blast. My guys are hurting in all the right places.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
2008 NGA Granaite State Open, Dover, NH

Sunday, October 26, 2008 - N.G.A. Granite State Open, Dover, New Hampshire

On Friday, Michael Jackson, my training partner and I flew from Birmingham, Alabama to Manchester, New Hampshire to help with the 2008 N.G.A.Granite State Open Bodybuilding Championship and Figure Competition held in nearby Dover. The 14th annual contest was held at the Dover High School Auditorium and attracted more than 40 competitors (60+) with crossovers in Women's Figure, Novice Men and Novice Women, Masters Men and Masters Women and Open Men and Open Women. While the Men's Novice Class was the largest (18 competitors), every class except the Novice Women (one) had competition. Nine Figure women competed, up from three just a few years ago.

Laura Tourtellot, affectionately known throughout the fitness world as "Turtle," asked me to be one of her judges. It was the 10th time I have judged a show. Michael Jackson, who is training with me for his first bodybuilding competition next year, worked back stage as a facilitator and tried to soak up first-hand some of the last minute contest prep that goes on before every show.

We arrived in Manchester on Friday evening at 6 PM and drove to Portsmouth, the site of the host hotel and check in. We spent some time with Turtle and then went to dinner.

The next morning, we arrived at Dover High School at 8 AM to help with the set up. Laura has her act together and has a great group of volunteers who make sure everything is done to Ms Turtle's satisfaction and to her exact specs. She calls her show a "Production" and it is. The smallest detail is deftly handled. And, as a result, once again, her show went off without a single hitch.

Prejudging began at 1:30 PM and ended a couple of hours later. The night show kicked off at 6:30 and we were done by 9:30. Many of the show's competitors are repeat athletes. They like doing Turtle's show and so did Michael and I.
We finally returned to our hotel at around 1 AM Sunday morning, got up at 3 AM, drove back to Manchester and caught our flight at 5:45. We arrived back in Birmingham in time to go to Church.

A big highlight for Michael was to meet Sean "Sully" Sullivan. Sully was also one of the judges. Michael has "known" Sully for the past year as we have worked through several of the exercise guru's training plans. Many times, Michael has been heard to groan, "darn that Sully," as we completed a hard set of heavy lifting. Sully is a pro competitor, show promoter and fitness expert. I have most of my bodybuilding athletes at the YMCA using his workouts under my supervision. Thanks, Sul. You're the best.

I haven't been to a bodybuilding show since my last competition in June. Seeing this show and catching the scent of posing oil and Pam got me all worked up. I will hit the gym with a little more intensity tomorrow. My next contest is in June, 2009. I wish it were next week.

Old Navy

Attachments

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's been an interesting few weeks since my last post. I was invited to speak at the US Naval & Marine Corps Center in Bessemer, Alabama during their drill weekend. I spoke for an hour on the subject of wellness, exercise and diet. My talk went over very well. I will speak next at the US Army Center in Birmingham on December 6th on the same subject.

Last Saturday, I was in Coral Springs, Florida for the 2008 NGA Pro Universe, American International and Florida Natural Championships, where I had my first stint as Master of Ceremonies. I had a great time.

I am promoting a show in the summer, the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding and Figure Championships to be held at Hoover High School (the same school whose football team was featured for two seasons on MTV).

I am entered in the 2009 FAME World Championships in Montreal, Canada, where I will compete in the Master Pro Division.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey Old Navy!

I would love to see how you go on Prime!

As Bioman said: You're an inspiration to us 'mid-30's blokes!

Last edited:
Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Hey Old Navy!

I would love to see how you go on Prime!

As Bioman said: You're an inspiration to us 'mid-30's
I'm waiting for my supply to arrive. I'm looking forward to being PRIMED.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
My Training Partner is a Black Belt

I'm so proud of my training partner. Michael Jackson, 50, earned his Black Belt in Karate last week. I went to his award ceremony. My 6' 6" friend is flanked by his instructor and me. I call Michael "The Rock." I am training him for his first bodybuilding show in July.

Attachments

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Championships - July 11

NGA Pro, John Rossman, and I are proud to announce the return of drug-free athletics to the Birmingham, Alabama area.

Please join us this summer in Birmingham for the...

2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding and Figure Championships at the Hoover High School Auditorium in Hoover, Alabama (Birmingham) on Saturday, July 11, 2009.

The NGA Sanctioned show will be a Tier Three Pro Qualifier where we will award a NGA Open Pro Card, a NGA Figure Pro Card and an NGA Master Pro Card to the winners. All athletes will be drug tested before the event to ensure they meet the requirements for drug-free competition in the NGA.

If you have any questions, please send me an email and I will respond promptly. Thank you.

Scott "Old Navy" Hults
Master Professional Bodybuilder
Master Certified Fitness Trainer
NGA Chairman - Alabama

[email protected]

Web Site: http://www.BodyBuildingSenior.com

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
An inspiring thread! :thumbsup:

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good stuff! You look great, for any age, and your buddy does NOT look 50.

Keep pushing ahead!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff! You look great, for any age, and your buddy does NOT look 50.

Keep pushing ahead!
Thanks. Michael will step onto a bodybuilding stage on July 11 in the Novice, Grand Master 50+ and Open Heavyweight classes at the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding and Figure Championships in Birmingham, Alabama.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Here is our first show poster for the show that NGA Pro, John Rossman, and I are promoting in Birmingham, Alabama on July 11, 2009. We will award three NGA Pro Cards (Open, Figure and Masters) at our drug-free (tested) contest.

Attachments

J

jacobcoile

Awards
Sweet log man. I'm a little late but will be following!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
December 20, 2008

It's the Saturday before Christmas and I am enjoying having my two daughters with my two grandchildren home for Christmas. My oldest grandchild, Gianna, is 10 months old and my grandson, Jayden, is three months old.

My Personal Training work at the Birmingham, Alabama YMCA is going great. I average 28 hours of training each week. My one female bodybuilder and three male bodybuilders are progressing nicely. They will compete in the 2009 NGA Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Model Championships on July 11 in Birmingham, the show I am promoting. We hope to have more than 60 competitors at the Pro Qualifier event.

My training is going well in spite of a little setback. I tore some muscle fibers in my right quad a few weeks ago and have to cut back on my leg work until it heals. I decided to take a full week off next week and resume training on December 29th. I have been going at it hot and heavy and I know the rest will do me a lot of good.

I received an email from a casting director in Los Angeles for a photo shoot for Paris Match, a very popular French magazine. They are doing a photo editorial on aging and were looking for an older bodybuilder. I got the job and will be flown to LA at the end of January for a one-day shoot. I am going to have to go on a light contest prep diet to drop a few off-season pounds. I don't mind, because the photographer is well known and it will be a great experience being photographed by such a renown shooter.

I hope all of you have a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Old Navy

Last edited:
Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Sunday, January 18, 2009 - Two Weeks Until My Photo Shoot

Weight: 158.6

I started my "contest diet" for my end-of-the-month photo shoot on January 1, weighing 166.0 pounds. I have slowly lost a little more than seven pounds and will try to come in on January 30 at around 153-154. This is a great experiment for my actual contest prep for the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships in Montreal on June 13. I am in my seventh month of my year off from competing to try to add some needed size, especially in my legs. I weighed 140 the last time I was on stage. I plan to compete next time at no less than 150 pounds.

I'm looking forward to this photo shoot. I will represent a senior bodybuilder in excellent health in this photo essay on aging. The French photographer is well know and does a lot of work for Paris Match magazine, the French version of Vanity Fair, that has commissioned the shoot. According to the casting director who "hired" me, we will be on location in Culver City (Los Angeles) for about eight hours on that Friday, Fun Stuff!

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm looking forward to this photo shoot. I will represent a senior bodybuilder in excellent health in this photo essay on aging. The French photographer is well know and does a lot of work for Paris Match magazine, the French version of Vanity Fair, that has commissioned the shoot. According to the casting director who "hired" me, we will be on location in Culver City (Los Angeles) for about eight hours on that Friday, Fun Stuff!
Wow! That is a big deal buddy! Awesome work...

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the props, Mr. "B"

Sunday, January 25, 2009, One Week until My Photo Shoot with Gerard Rancinan for Paris Match Magazine in Los Angeles

Weight: 156 pounds

Yesterday I started a modified “last week” contest cutting diet for my photo shoot on Friday with French photographer, Gerard Rancinan, shooting for Paris Match magazine. http://www.rancinan.com/work.php I was selected to be part of a photo essay on aging.

I am on a three-day low carb diet and will do a pre-contest (pre-shoot) carb up on Thursday to fill out a bit for my session on Friday. I am also increasing water for the next four days and will drop my water on Thursday evening the way I do before a contest. I have been using an herbal fat burner, green tee caps and an herbal diuretic to drop some water.

I was 166 pounds on January 1 when I started prepping for the shoot. Today I’m at 156 and will come in at 153-154.

The director asked me to tan, so I am having two professional sprays applied on Tuesday and Wednesday. I will bring a jar of tanning solution if I need to be darker.

I was told that I would be wearing running shorts and a head band. On Friday, they emailed me and asked if I would bring some of my posing suits. I said I would. I’m really looking forward to meeting the other “players” chosen for the shoot, a bunch of aging men and women posing for a popular French magazine. Cool!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, January 31, 2009, Old Navy’s Magazine Photo Shoot

Well, that was really fun!

I arrived in Los Angeles at 3:40 PM on Thursday and was met at the airport by the casting director for the shoot, Megan Foley. This was our first meeting as Megan and I had communicated earlier by cell phone and email. She drove me to my hotel close to the airport so I could check in and then we continued to a Beverly Hills hotel where I met with the French photographer, Gerard Rancinan and his crew. Gerard had met the other subjects of the shoot earlier in the week and he wanted to meet me before we began the next day. Gerard is a very interesting man, full of energy, imagination and passion. I quickly got caught up in his enthusiasm for the upcoming session.

After our meeting, I returned to my hotel, had an early dinner and went to bed. I was picked up in front of the hotel on Friday morning at 7:00 AM so we could be at the studio in Culver City by 8:00, the time we were scheduled to begin.

When we arrived the crew was already hard at work constructing the set for the photograph. We were doing a recreation of a 1600’s painting titled “Maids of Honor,” which had a group of men and women in an assortment of costumes representing various modes of vanity. In the original painting the artist included himself in the scene. Gerard would later do the same thing in his photograph.

Rancinan’s idea for the reproduction was to focus on how various characters handle aging. Included in the “cast” was a mature woman playing a grotesque Marilyn Monroe, a very tall woman wearing a dress made of newspapers, two enhanced female body builders, a male and female dwarf, a lady playing the Angel of Death, two beautiful young models playing Adam and Eve and me, ten models in all. There was also a pit bull in the shot that gave us a lot of trouble because the dog would not stay still for the shoot.

My part was interesting. Originally, I was cast as an old man standing next to the Angel of Death, who was holding an hour glass and was “waiting” for me. After Gerard saw me in person, he changed my character to a man who was defying death. Instead of standing looking distraught, I was to pose and smile, looking defiant, as if to say, “Not me, Angel of Death, not now.” Instead of old man’s clothes, I wore a black posing suit.

The set was completed by 11:30 and we are all asked to stand in our places so we could be moved about and have individual lighting checks performed. At 11:45 Gerard began shooting the first of three sessions. It was intense. While others had to stand perfectly still, I had to hold a front double biceps pose. The first session lasted 20 minutes. My arms ached and my hands cramped, but I did it, all the time smiling as directed.

After the first session, Gerald and his assistants reviewed the shots on a lap top and then discussed the needed changes for the second session, which started after we had a short break.

The second session was longer than the first, because the dog wouldn’t cooperate. We eventually got the dog to settle down enough for the shots and we completed the second session in due time. Again, I was stiff and sore, but happy. Gerald told me I was doing exactly what he needed me to do for the photo.

After a lunch of pizza, sushi and salad, we prepared for our final session, which was to begin at 3:30 PM. We were all tired by that time, but we were all so emotionally involved in the action that we sucked it up and did an outstanding job for the final photograph. We ended the session at 4:15 to much applause and cheering from the cast and crew. It was a fabulous shoot and I’m sure the photo, which will appear in Paris Match magazine, a French publication, in a couple of months will be well received.

I asked Gerard how much it cost to shoot a photo like this. He said he budgeted $70,000 for one photograph. That included studio rental, studio crew, his staff and the cast. Gerard and his staff flew in from Paris. I flew in from Alabama. The rest of the cast was local talent.

Gerard Rancinan is doing a series of ten photos, recreating master works of art. Our shoot was the seventh in the series. After he completes the other three, the entire collection will go on tour in art galleries around the world. His next shoot is in St. Petersburg, Russia. Gerald said he will email each of the cast a copy of the photo in a few weeks. I can’t wait to see the results of our work.

After the shoot, Rancinan asked me if I would like him to take a few shots of me. I said I would and I now have a small personal portfolio of Gerard Rancinan photos.

After the shoot, we signed a model release form and received our payment in cash. I returned to my hotel and after a quick shower to clean off the Pam spray I had applied (at the photographer’s request), I went to the hotel restaurant for a dinner of salmon and salad. I still have a show to prepare for, so this was just another contest diet dinner.

I was as tired after my all day photo session as I am after a contest. That was a surprise.

Thinking about all that had occurred this weekend as I flew home on Saturday morning, I had to wonder what other outrageous things will happen to me in the future, just because I am a 65 year-old master professional bodybuilder. Only time will tell, I guess, but I’m looking forward to the next chapter.

Attachments

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Monday, March 2, 2009 - Training for the FAME Master Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 159.0 Pounds

Today I officially began my contest prep for my 28th contest and fifth Pro Show, the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships.

After my last show in June 2008, I took the rest of 2008 and the first half of 2009 off from competing in order to add some needed size. I was 138 pounds on stage at my last show and have been sitting at around 160 pounds for the past eight months. My plan is to compete somewhere near 150 pounds, depending upon how I look.

My training off season was designed to add lean mass by lifting heavy and eating clean. I believe I have done OK in this area. My body fat is around 8% (7 skin fold test) and I show a good deal of definition and vascularity.

I will continue to eat clean and lift heavy as I slowly loose a little body fat while trying to preserve as much of my new lean mass as I can.

Today I started Phase IV of a six phase training plan designed by Sean "Sully" Sullivan of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Sully is a professional bodybuilder, contest promoter and coach. He is also a friend. Here is my workout.

Mass Maker Workout – Phase IV – Three or Four Weeks

Specialization Program for Back

Rest between all sets is 90 seconds unless specified.

Day One – Back Thickness

A. Dead lifts 6 sets 7/5/3/7/5/3 (work up to a 3 rep max, twice)

B. One arm Dumb Bell rows 4 sets of 6-8 reps

C. T-bar rows 4 sets of 4-6 reps

D. Seated cable rows 4 sets of 12-15 reps

Day Two – Legs and Delts

A1. Leg press 3 sets of 10-12 with three drop sets for a total of 25-30 reps a set

A2. Close stance squats 3 sets of 12-15

B1. Lunges 3 sets of 8-10

B2. Leg curls 3 sets of 12-15 with 2 drop sets for a total of 25-30 reps a set

C. Seated calf raise 3 sets 15-20

D1. Dumb Bell shoulder press 3 sets of 8-10 reps

D2. Seated lateral raise 3 sets of 10-12 reps with 2 drop sets for a total of 25-30 reps a set

Day Three – Back Width

A. Chins medium grip to front 6 sets 8, 6, 4, 8, 6, 4

B. Pull down wide to rear 4 sets of 8-10 reps

C. Straight arm pull downs 4 sets of 10-12 reps

D. Rope pull downs 3 sets of 12-15 reps (use the rope and pull the elbows wide at the bottom)

Day Four – Back, Traps, Lower Back and Rear Delts

A. Bar Bell shrugs 6 sets of 4-6 reps

B. Seated Dumb Bell shrugs 4 sets of 6-8 reps

C. Weighted hyperextensions 4 sets of 8-10 reps

D. Seated rope rows to the face 4 sets of 10-12 (use the rope and keep the arms high and elbows wide and pull to the chin)

E. Bent over lateral raise 4 sets of 12-15 reps

Day Five – Chest and Arms

A1. Dumb Bell bench press 3 sets of 8-10

A2. Cable crossover 3 sets of 12-15 reps + 2 drops

B1. Bar Bell curls 3 sets of 10-12 reps

B2. Machine preacher curls 3 sets of 12-15 reps + 2 drops

C1. Close grip Bench Press 3 sets of 10-12

C2. V bar tri press downs 3 sets of 12-15 + 2 drops

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will actually likely attend the Montreal show ... not competing this year. I have some trainees interested in eventually competing, so I will bring them along for the morning show.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
I will actually likely attend the Montreal show ... not competing this year. I have some trainees interested in eventually competing, so I will bring them along for the morning show.
Great. I hope we can connect at the venue. I would like to meet your nubees, too.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, March 7, 2009 - Training for the 2009 FAME Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight - 160 pounds

I am continuing on my slow pre-contest diet. I actually put on two pounds after a re-feed day yesterday. Earlier in the week, while I was on three low-carb days, I dropped to 158. I'm looking OK mostly, except for the small pouch around my mid section that's a little troubling. I still have 15 weeks until the contest and only need to drop no more than 10 pounds. I want to come in at around 148 verses the 138 I came in last June at the FAME Worlds.

One of my novice female bodybuilders and three of my novice males attended their first Posing Clinic at my home studio today. We worked on the symmetry round, relax pose, front double biceps, front lat spread and favorite most muscular. After we practiced these poses for a bit, I video taped them two at a time, putting them through a semi-contest round. After, we reviewed the tape and I offered suggestions on how they might improve. The two-hour session was fun and went well.

I continue to train solo as my training partner is recovering from shoulder surgery. We believe he hurt himself over time while he was spending two years earning his black belt in Karate. His rehab will last several more weeks.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, March 13, 2009 - 13 Weeks Until the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 159.0

On Monday, I officially start my contest prep diet in preparation for my 28th contest and fourth Pro Show. My goal for the next 13 weeks is to focus on continuing to lift heavy, increase my cardio and maintain a strict contest diet. My diet will begin with a series of low carb days followed by a high carb or refeed day. This is the same plan I used last season which brought me to my best contest condition ever. The only area where I was not as my best was size. I was hard, lean, cut and vascular, but only could bring a 138 pound bantam weight body to the stage. After taking a year off from competing to add some size, this year I will compete 10-12 pounds heavier in weight, while maintaining my same low body fat percentage.

I will also maintain a busy contest schedule on the other side of the lights. I am judging the 2009 NGA 2nd Annual Natural Muscle and Figure Classic in Atlanta, GA on March 28, the 2009 NGA Carolina Night of the Champions in Greensboro, NC on June 6, where I will also Guest Pose, the 2009 NGA Music City Night of the Champions in Nashville, TN and I'll promote my show, the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Model Championships in Birmingham, AL on July 11.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Friday, March 13, 2009 - 13 Weeks Until the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 159.0

On Monday, I officially start my contest prep diet in preparation for my 28th contest and fourth Pro Show. My goal for the next 13 weeks is to focus on continuing to lift heavy, increase my cardio and maintain a strict contest diet. My diet will begin with a series of low carb days followed by a high carb or refeed day. This is the same plan I used last season which brought me to my best contest condition ever. The only area where I was not as my best was size. I was hard, lean, cut and vascular, but only could bring a 138 pound bantam weight body to the stage. After taking a year off from competing to add some size, this year I will compete 10-12 pounds heavier in weight, while maintaining my same low body fat percentage.

I will also maintain a busy contest schedule on the other side of the lights. I am judging the 2009 NGA 2nd Annual Natural Muscle and Figure Classic in Atlanta, GA on March 28, the 2009 NGA Carolina Night of the Champions in Greensboro, NC on June 6, where I will also Guest Pose, the 2009 NGA Music City Night of the Champions in Nashville, TN and I'll promote my show, the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Model Championships in Birmingham, AL on July 11.

Best of luck on your cut, your LBM increase is impressive to say the least! 10-12lbs is a huge accomplishment.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck on your cut, your LBM increase is impressive to say the least! 10-12lbs is a huge accomplishment.
Thanks, I'm anxious to see how much of it I keep. Today I weigh 158.6.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, March 20, 2009 - 12 Weeks Until the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 157.0

After week one of my contest diet, I'm down two pounds. I had a good week of heavy lifting, cardio and contest diet. The three low carb days and one high carb day plan is tracking well. I plan to come in for my contest at around 148 pounds, ten pounds more than the same contest last year. So far, so good.

This was Spring Break week in Birmingham. Many of my personal training clients have children, so I wasn't surprised when I had 14 training hours canceled this week. I still managed to end the week with 22.5 personal training hours. Only one other trainer had more and he has been personal training at this YMCA for more than six years.

Next Friday I leave for Atlanta where I will judge the 2009 NGA 2nd Annual Natural Muscle and Figure Classic show on Saturday. I am looking forward to closely watching everything that goes on so I can make sure I am better prepared to promote my own show in Birmingham on July 11. I will be noting the music selections (house music), ticketing, flow of the show, the Master of Ceremonies (which I will be doing at my show) and back stage facilitation. I hope to learn some useful things from my observations. The promoter said I could speak to the athletes at the Saturday morning meeting to tell them about my upcoming show. I have a couple hundred show fliers to hand out.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 11 Weeks Until the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 157.0

I was in Atlanta, Georgia all weekend to judge the 2009 NGA 1st Annual Excelsior Classic on Saturday. It's the first show I've been to since last November and it was great to once again feel the atmosphere and smell the tanning oil. It gets into your blood. I love our sport. This was a good show and I'm always glad when I have a chance to sit on the other side of the lights. I learn so much about competing when I judge a contest. I will give you one word that I took away from this show. LEGS. I was reminded how important working your legs is. Many of the fine athletes had great upper bodies, but lacked in the qlutes and hams. And, more than a few forgot to pose their legs when they were doing their turns and mandatories. It was a good reminder for me as I am preparing for my own contest in 11 weeks. I worked hard on my legs this last year, but I'm going to work harder for the next several weeks. I will also spend a lot of time practicing my posing. Lots of the competitors were shaking because they didn't practice enough to be able to hold a pose until the Head Judge called for the next one.

As I was away from home and didn't have a chance to monitor my diet while judging all day Saturday, I just managed to hold my weight at 157.0. I had a friend take a look at me back stage and we agreed that I will probably be very competitive at 148, 10 pounds more than I weighed last year.

I was able to talk to the competitors before the show on Saturday and give each one a flyer for my show, the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Championships on July 11. Several said they plan to compete in my event. Very Cool!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday April 7, 2009 - 10 Weeks Until the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 157 pounds

My training is going well for my June 13th contest, but this week I am focusing on helping one of my athletes prepare for the 2009 NPC Vulcan Bodybuilding and Figure Championships in Birmingham, Alabama on Saturday, April 11. Todd is 42, a lightweight/middleweight (not sure yet), who will compete in the Novice, Open Weight Class and Masters 40+. I have been training Todd since last July and at 162 pounds today, he is hard, lean, cut and very muscular. I'm sure he will do well in his first show. In addition to his contest prep, we have been working on his posing and posing routine. He is ready to step onto the stage today. Tomorrow will be our last work out and then we will practice posing during our training sessions on Thursday and Friday. I will go with him and have a back stage trainer's pass so I can help him with his final prep. I competed in this show last year and placed 2nd in Open Men's Lightweight and won the Masters 60+. I hope Todd is able to win his weight class, the Masters 40+ and the Novice.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Sunday, April 12, 2009, Nine Weeks Until the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 156.0 Pounds

I spent Saturday with my athlete, Todd Sayers, 42, a Chiropractor, who competed in his first contest, the 2009 NPC Vulcan Classic in Birmingham, Alabama. I have been coaching Todd since last July and our work included weight training, cardio, contest diet and posing. At 163.5 pounds and 5.3% body fat, Todd was ready on Saturday morning when he stepped up against seven other Masters 40+ men. He also competed in the Open Men's Middleweight Class against three younger athletes. They only awarded trophies to the Top Three in each class. Todd's conditioning was spot on and his posing was among the best in each class. Todd placed Third in the Masters 40+ Class, sending five other men home with no awards. He also placed Third in the Open Men's Middleweight Class. The winner of the Middleweight Class went on to win the Overall. All in all, it was a great experience for Todd and very satisfying results for both of us. Congratulations, Todd. Nice work, Warrior. Now, enjoy your Easter Sunday meal.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, April 18, 2009, Eight Weeks Until The FAME Pro Masters World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 156.0

It's show time. Two months to go and I'm in my Game Day contest prep mode. I'm ready to Lock and Load and Take Dead Aim at the Prize. With eight weeks to go, I'm about eight pounds from my stage weight. I will spend the next two months lifting hard, increasing my cardio and eating clean. I will be ready. As the title of my Journal states, I have been "Getting My Kicks On Route 66," and I will be 66 years-old on April 28th. I will be in the best shape of my life on my birthday and I will be in better shape on June 13 in Montreal.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - Seven Weeks Until the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13

Weight: 155.6 pounds

I turned 66 today and celebrated the event in the gym, where I did 66 pull ups, 66 push ups, 66 crunches and 66 sit ups. I also trained seven clients with one-hour personal training sessions, so I kept busy. My family took me for dinner to the Mellow Mushroom in Birmingham for a cheat meal, which I enjoyed, including a hunk of chocolate cake (my bad). I loved every bite. Now, it's back to the contest diet. I have about seven pounds to go to be ready for the stage on June 13. I'm tracking well and feel I will look my best at my 28th show and fifth Pro Contest.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, May 8, 2009, Four Weeks Until My Next Contest

Weight: 155.0 Pounds

In four weeks, I will be a Judge and Guest Poser at the 2009 NGA Carolina Night of Champions in Greensboro, NC and in five weeks, I will be on stage competing in my fifth Pro Show, at the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships in Montreal, Canada. I'm looking forward to both of these events.

My diet and training are going very well and I'm sure I will come in where I want to be both in Greensboro and in Montreal. I continue to lift heavy, have increased my cardio and stayed clean on my contest diet. For my diet, I am doing a series of three low carb days followed by a high carb day. I keep my protein consistent. I am drinking a little more than a half-gallon of water per day and will up that next week.

With 27 shows under my belt, I pretty well know how my body will respond. I am about six pounds from my desired contest weight and should have no trouble meeting my goal.

I am holding posing clinics at my home on Sunday's for several novice bodybuilders. They are having a good time learning from "The Old Pro."

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Friday, May 15, Four Weeks Until My Next Pro Show, the 2009 FAME Master Pro World Championships.

Weight: 152.0 Pounds

I have a busy four weeks between now and June 13, when I step onto the stage for my 28th contest and fifth Pro Show in Montreal, Canada. My weight is on target and I am leaning out nicely. I'm thinking about 148 pounds for stage weight, ten pounds heavier than my last show in June 2008. I continue to lift heavy and feel strong in the gym. I am carefully controlling my contest prep diet. I am also practicing my posing.

Meanwhile, I am judging a bodybuilding pro-am contest in Alabama next weekend, judging and guest posing at a show in Greensboro, NC two weeks later and then on to Montreal the following week. Fun stuff.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Sunday, May 24, 2009, Two Weeks Until My Guest Poser Appearance and Three Weeks Until My Next Pro Show

Weight: 150.0 Pounds

I had a great time judging the 2009 SNBF Capital Classic Pro Am Bodybuilding and Figure Championships in Montgomery, Alabama on Saturday. There were 52 competitors and we awarded three Pro Cards: Open, Figure and Masters. I competed in this show a few years ago and judged it once before. I leave for Greensboro, NC a week from Friday to judge and Guest Pose at the 2009 NGA Carolina Night of Champions and then a week later, fly to Montreal for the 2009 FAME Masters Professional World Championships.

I'm doing well with my diet and am slowly leaning out. I should be good at around 145-148 pounds for the Guest Posing and competition. I am still lifting heavy and showing good energy. And, I'm having a great time.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, June 6, 2009, Greensboro, NC

I'm in Greensboro, NC to judge and guest pose at the 2009 NGA Carolina Night of The Champions. I'm looking forward to another stint as a contest judge and I'm looking forward to standing up on stage as a guest poser, to "warm up" for my next pro show, the 2009 FAME Masters World Championships in Montreal next Saturday, June 13th.

I will perform two of my Best Poser Award routines, "16 Tons" and "21 Gun Salute." I'm especially glad I can do "21 Gun Salute," a military style routine, on June 6th, the 65th anniversary of D-Day in France in World War II.

I have other news. I have been a personal trainer at the Mountainbrook Branch of the Birmingham YMCA for about 16 months. Last week I was promoted to Fitness Director at the Greystone Family Branch of the Birmingham YMCA. I begin the full-time job with benefits and vacation on June 22nd. I will be responsible for the personal trainers and support staff. At 66 years-of-age, to be promoted to Fitness Director at a very large facility is Very cool!

My contest prep weight is holding at about 149.0 pounds. I plan to come in somewhere around 148 next Saturday. I will go below that a few days before and then "carb up" to where I want to be. I'm going to be as ready as I can for my fifth pro show and 28th contest overall.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got our tickets for Sunday... good luck.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Got our tickets for Sunday... good luck.

Thanks. My Masters Pro World Championships competition is on Saturday. I will be helping with the Mastes amateur classes on Sunday. I hope to meet you then.

Old Navy

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks. My Masters Pro World Championships competition is on Saturday. I will be helping with the Mastes amateur classes on Sunday. I hope to meet you then.

Old Navy
Oh ok I saw Masters on Sunday so I thought that was your day. Ok well my trainee could not make it for Saturday anyway. Also as she'd be a novice should she decide to compete we wanted to take a look at what she might be up against. Also I am an amateur so if I decide to compete next year it will be in Masters or Grandmasters amateurs.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
2009 FAME Masters Pro World Championships - Results

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - FAME Masters Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13 - Results

I achieved one of my two goals for my fifth Pro Show and 28th contest overall. I wanted to step onto the stage about 10 pounds heavier, with the conditioning I had at the same event last year. I came in at 148 pounds, exactly 10 pounds more than last year and I was just as conditioned.

My second goal was to move up one place from the 2008 contest and win the title. As I did last year, I placed Second. I was bested by the same athlete who won the event in 2008. I improved, but so did he. That's what I love about our sport. We must always strive to be in better shape for a show than we were last time. I think the contest was closer this year, but at nearly the same weight as me this time, my competitor was two inches shorter and a little wider. Our conditioning was equal. I believe I out posed him and he outsized me. I have requested the judges scoring sheets for the contest to see how we were scored in the symmetry and mandatory rounds and the posing routines, which made up 40% of the score at this show. I will be posting photos from the contest as soon as I receive them from the show's shooter.

I placed my Second Place Award, a beautiful Sword, on the shelf with my other trophies and am now training for my next contest, the 2009 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe in North Carolina on July 18.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - FAME Masters Pro World Championships, Montreal, Canada, June 13 - Results

I achieved one of my two goals for my fifth Pro Show and 28th contest overall. I wanted to step onto the stage about 10 pounds heavier, with the conditioning I had at the same event last year. I came in at 148 pounds, exactly 10 pounds more than last year and I was just as conditioned.

My second goal was to move up one place from the 2008 contest and win the title. As I did last year, I placed Second. I was bested by the same athlete who won the event in 2008. I improved, but so did he. That's what I love about our sport. We must always strive to be in better shape for a show than we were last time. I think the contest was closer this year, but at nearly the same weight as me this time, my competitor was two inches shorter and a little wider. Our conditioning was equal. I believe I out posed him and he outsized me. I have requested the judges scoring sheets for the contest to see how we were scored in the symmetry and mandatory rounds and the posing routines, which made up 40% of the score at this show. I will be posting photos from the contest as soon as I receive them from the show's shooter.

I placed my Second Place Award, a beautiful Sword, on the shelf with my other trophies and am now training for my next contest, the 2009 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe in North Carolina on July 18.
I heard you placed second congrats!! I did go sunday and asked for you a couple times but they said they hadn't seen you. Next time, I may actually compete next year.

Did you see the grand masters on Sunday 2 seemed to be long term hardcore users. All 5 looked great although I think they pooled the masters and grand masters together. I kind of felt sorry for the guys who were natural but they looked great and had nothing to be ashamed of coming in 4th and 5th in that kind of competition. Kind of a moral victory in my mind. My hats off to them!!

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
I heard you placed second congrats!! I did go sunday and asked for you a couple times but they said they hadn't seen you. Next time, I may actually compete next year.

Did you see the grand masters on Sunday 2 seemed to be long term hardcore users. All 5 looked great although I think they pooled the masters and grand masters together. I kind of felt sorry for the guys who were natural but they looked great and had nothing to be ashamed of coming in 4th and 5th in that kind of competition. Kind of a moral victory in my mind. My hats off to them!!
Thanks, Warrior. I appreciate the props. Yes, the winner of the Grand Master Amateur contest was "Richard," a very large Canadian. Three years ago, I placed third behind Richard at my first Worlds. The following year, I beat Richard and the rest of the class to win my WNSO Masters Pro Card. He will step up to the Master Pro class next year. If I do the show again, I will face that very large athlete and give him a battle.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday, June 24, Seventeen Days Until the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Championships, Birmingham, AL, July 11.

It's a busy week. I'm in the third day of my new job as Fitness Director for the Greystone Branch of the Birmingham YMCA. I am responsible for the equipment on the gym floor, the personal trainers and the training assistants staff. It's an interesting job and I'm having a lot of fun. I still carry three personal training clients who I train early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

My partner, John Rossman, and I are promoting our first contest, the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Model Championships, a Pro Qualifier, in Birmingham, Alabama on July 11th. While most of the work is done, there's still lots of coordination needed. We are both NGA Pros and we know how a contest should be run. We are doing our best to present a great competition for the athletes and for the audience.

I am training for my 29th show, the 2009 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe in North Carolina on July 18, where I am going for my fourth Pro Card. I am still in great shape after my Montreal contest last week so I don't have too much to do to get ready. Meanwhile, I will drive to Nashville, TN on Friday afternoon to judge the 2009 NGA Music City Night of the Championships show on Saturday.

As I said, it's a busy week.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, July 4, 2009, One Week Until the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Model Championships, Pro Qualifier, Birmingham, Alabama, July 11 and Two Weeks Until My Next Contest, the 2009 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe, Burlington, NC, July 18.

Weight: 148 pounds

I am in the final week of preparation for my first show promoter event, the 2009 NGA Alabama Natural Open Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Model Championships, to be held at Hoover High School in Birmingham, Alabama next Saturday. As of today, I have 33 athletes registered for the show. We are awarding four Pro Cards at this event: Open Mens and Open Womens Bodybuilding, Open Figure and Masters Overall winners. This is a National Gym Association (NGA) sanctioned competition. I'm very excited about how it's all coming together. Lots of little details. Lots of fun.

I'm two weeks out from my next contest, the 2009 Natural Physique Association (NPA) Nationals and Masters Universe Championships, a Pro Qualifier. I am competing in the Open Lightweight Class and the Masters 60+ Class. I am trying to earn my fourth Pro Card (in four different federations). After placing Second for the last two years at this event, I'm ready to take the Crown.

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Awards
  • Established
2009 NPA Nationals & Masters Universe Results

Monday, July 20, 2009 - NPA Nationals and NPA Masters Universe - Results

Finally, whew. After placing Second in my last three contests (2008 and 2009 FAME World Championships and 2008 NPA Nationals and Masters Universe), I finished First in the Open Men's Lightweight Class in the 2009 NPA Nationals and First in the Men's Masters 60+ Class in the 2009 Masters Universe and won my fourth Pro Card in Burlington, North Carolina on Saturday. I had a great time competing in the Overall Masters and Overall Open Championships. It was sweet!

My goal this year was to come in 10 pounds heavier than my 138 pounds last year. I weighed in at 148.2 on Saturday morning at check-in, on target. I was in the best shape of my life, with plenty of vascularity and plenty of hard muscle. I feel really good about my contest prep. It all came together and I peaked at just the right time.

I am going to take some time off from competing to work on adding another seven pounds of lean mass. I would like to compete in my next Pro Show at around 155 pounds, my heaviest weight ever on stage.

I am a Pro in four federations: NGA, WNSO (FAME), IDFA (Canada) and now the Natural Physique Association (NPA). I have a number of pro shows to chose from and I will enter at least two next year.

I'm gratified to end my contest year with two First Place wins and being awarded my fourth Pro Card, at 66 years-of-age. Rock and Roll!