Tat's Gemma/WPI Review

tattoopierced1

Due to whey prices on the rise and my pocketbook becoming smaller, I decided to try out the Gemma protein. I did a 50% Gemma, and 50% WPI mix with BSL Chocolate flavoring and splenda as a sweetener. I mixed it in a Blender Bottle with about 6oz of skim milk and it was quite tasty. Mixes up nicely and has a creamy texture to it, it resembles a milkshake very well. It did have a somewhat of a minty flavor to it though, even though I just ordered Chocolate, I could taste a hint of mint or what seemed to be mint. Maybe this was the Gemma protein, who knows. I do know that this will be replacing my 100% WPI mixture as it is about $2 per pound cheaper. I may try doing a 60% Gemma 40% WPI mix to save a bit more $$ and work my way down until my price/flavor threashold has been met.

My hat is off to True Protein for providing us with a good and cheaper alternative to the now becoming expensive whey protein we've all come to depend on.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the review..been waiting to hear if this stuff is good or not.

Probably put in an order when my protein stocks get low.

tattoopierced1

Thanks for the review..been waiting to hear if this stuff is good or not.

Probably put in an order when my protein stocks get low.
I'm going to make a few more orders (1lbers) and play with the flavors. I went with chocolate because you can usually see if a powder is going to be bad or not with a vanilla or chocolate flavor, i just happen to hate vanilla.

Want to try it with a fruity flavor, like the strawberry kiwi..that is my personal favorite so far.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried unflavored, and cutting something like ON with it?

tattoopierced1

Have you tried unflavored, and cutting something like ON with it?
Never tried any unflavored protein before. I usually get a big chocolate order, then a few 5-10lbers of various other flavors to mix things up with.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never tried any unflavored protein before. I usually get a big chocolate order, then a few 5-10lbers of various other flavors to mix things up with.
I have some hear from one of the main manufacturers, unflavored, that I will go ahead and try.

tattoopierced1

I have some hear from one of the main manufacturers, unflavored, that I will go ahead and try.
I think the only way I'd do unflavored protein powder is if I were going to bake with it.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the only way I'd do unflavored protein powder is if I were going to bake with it.
Why would you drop LSD and use unflavored protein powder?

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
the Gemma has as best I can describe it a vegetably aftertaste so that may be the 'minty' flavor you are experiencing, thanks for the solid review Tat, looking forward to hearing back on the 60/40!

tattoopierced1

Yesterday I tried mixing this with 1 scoop (70cc) of WMS. You must use alot more liquid for this. I used just a bit more liquid and it was very chalky. I think 1 scoop is OK of WMS in this, but I believe 2 70cc scoops would just be too much and turn it into pudding without having to add an exponential amount of liquid to it. Next time I'm going to try 2 scoops protien, 1 scoop WMS, and 1 scoop of Malto.