Trehalose

bigstabile

bigstabile

Awards
  • Established
What's the deal with trehalose? I've been opting for a slower digesting carb post workout. Currently I'm just using oats. How does trehalose compare? Would it be a fairly even switch? I like oats but I'm just getting sick of eating them two and three times a day, plus pwo I prefer a powder.

tpc

Co-Owner of True Protein
Awards
honestly oats are tough to beat, we are going to be launching an oat powder, a rice dextrin/fiber and a few new starches that are going to give WMS a run for their money.

trehalose is a great carb as it acts differently, it is a disaccaride sugar, so it looks like sucrose, tastes like sugar (though it is not as sweet), but instead of having the large glycemic response like many sugars do, it does not induce as large as a glycemic response. we really like it as a replacement for dextrose and/or maltodextrin that many companies use in their MRPs. it will keep insulin levels within the body way more steady, but with that being said, oats, especially whole oats are tough to beat as a low glycemic carbohydrate. from a mixability, texture and taste standpoint trehalose is the way to go when looking for a lower glycemic carb that acts like sugar.

thanks,
doug

tpc

Co-Owner of True Protein
Awards
let me wait until i get into the office today and i have a few interesting studies in reference to trehalose...

doug

deadlifter25

Awards
how far off are you from releasing your oat powder? I see one of your competiters has an oat powder, and ill more than likely end up ordering some of that and some MPI from them unless you guys release yours soon. Id rather order from you, but if i can get everything all in one place thats what im going to do.

tpc

Co-Owner of True Protein
Awards
we are hoping to get it within the next 2 weeks or so, but we are just waiting back results on one test and as well as another sample from a different manufacture, which is holding everything up.

sorry for the wait,
doug

deadlifter25

Awards
2 weeks might not be so bad...im really glad you guys are going to be carrying this.

tpc

Co-Owner of True Protein
Awards
yeah, i am excited too, i am done with grinding my oats for the day to put in shakes, lol...

doug

deadlifter25

Awards
yeah what i used to do was soak my oats in water for along time before i blended them with my shakes. Between that and cottage cheese in there it made for a pretty thick chunky shake. not necessarily bad, just a little different and a pain in the a$$. Be REAL nice to have an instantized oat powder and some MPI or CMDI....that just sounds SOOOO much better and easier!

tpc

Co-Owner of True Protein
Awards
yeah, we are looking at an oat fiber and an oat powder, like i said just want to make sure everything is "kosher" before we launch it. we might offer both.

damn and i thought i could get everything down, soaked oats... that just about made me gag. i swear i could pretty much down anything a few years ago, i am like a 3 year old picky child now, lol

d

deadlifter25

Awards
lol...i wont even tell you what my breakfast consists of alot of the time then

bkprice

bkprice

Awards
  • Established
A weight gainer with oats over 600 calories would be great. I make my own but when I get busy it a real pain in the ass.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am using WMS + ALRI Regen p/wo followed by whey+wms. Which is better, trehalose or WMS? and why?

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know the GI of trehalose? Google produces nothing...

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
ive having trouble finding exactly what the disaccharide is comprised of. is it glucose and fructose?

have you guys looked into tagatose? looks pretty decent.

tpc

Co-Owner of True Protein
Awards
Anyone know the GI of trehalose? Google produces nothing...
it is fairly low, as for an exact number, i don't have that. though in comparison to something like oats, though lower the glycemic index is fairly low, oats still has it beat hands down.

doug

tpc

Co-Owner of True Protein
Awards
ive having trouble finding exactly what the disaccharide is comprised of. is it glucose and fructose?

have you guys looked into tagatose? looks pretty decent.
trehalose is comprised of 2 glucose units (linked in a alpha,alpha-1,1-glycosidic linkage, for all you chem nuts).

tagatose, we have looked into. we may offer it in a small run, but i haven't researched it enough to really see validity in us carrying it, unless you guys want it. as for palatinose, that is one material we will be offering shortly.

thanks,
doug

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bigstabile Supplements 1