Alternative to Casein

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
I am very sensitive to Lactose. About two months ago I noticed some bloating from my Casein/Whey mix. So I replaced the Whey with the Rice Protein. However, I still get gas. The possibility exists that I am simply sensitivite to protein. Yet, Casein is also derived from milk. Is there an alternative slow release protein like Hemp protein? If so, I'll give that a shot. If I still have gas, I'll have to try gut health or some kind of probiotic to help digest the protein. I usually eat between 30-40 grams once or twice a day depending on whether or not I get it from whole foods.

I've been a customer for six months or so and love your custom mixes. The quality is good and the price is right. Thanks! :thumbsup:

StanChampion

StanChampion

Awards
  • Established
maybe try some lactase or protease enzymes. I use the enzyme mix from NOW foods and it works well.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
maybe try some lactase or protease enzymes. I use the enzyme mix from NOW foods and it works well.
i use lactose fast acting relief from walgreens which is a knockoff of lactose ultra before I eat cheese or have to consume dairy. usually it only works for small amounts even when i take two or three pills. i have an extreme case of lactose intolerance. The pills get pretty expensive which is why I'm looking for a replacement for the casein. A box of 60 is about $7 or 8 bucks and I can easily go through it in 20 days.

Markoni321

Markoni321

Awards
so gemma and rice protein are slower release than whey? I wish the trueprotein site had some info on this. maybe it does and i'm just *slow*

they are slower then whey , something like egg protein , its not slow but also not fast , something in between

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Which casein were you using? Which whey did you mix it with?

IMO the team skip blend is real good. I get no bloating from that.

I am not sure how you would fare on this, but reading the description of each ingredient, it seems virtually lactose free.

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The Gemma and the Rice proteins digest in the mid range, around 2-4 hrs like an Egg protein, so they will be slower than a whey but not quite as slow as a casein. The Team Skip mix contains 33% Micellar Casein, so if you are experiencing difficulty with that casein material you may consider using another mix

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
thanks but it's hard to mix steak in my morning oatmeal :thumbsup: not to mention that i don't eat cows
ohhh its for breakfast....eggs and turkey bacon low fat yogurt. why would you want casien int he morning anyway? Also there are plenty of lactose free proteins. Ultamite Nutrition also has a nice protein isolate made from wheat...i'd just supplement with aminos that you would be lacking since whey has a higher concentration of them.

Are you lactose intolerant...you just complained of bloating which could indicate you are taking in to much. Try taking lactase.

IMO casien itself derails my diet if i use it in the morning cause it feels so heavy in my gut and takes for ever to breakdown. My philosophy is if you should be eating every 3 hours why take a protein that takes 8 to digest?

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The Gemma and the Rice proteins digest in the mid range, around 2-4 hrs like an Egg protein, so they will be slower than a whey but not quite as slow as a casein. The Team Skip mix contains 33% Micellar Casein, so if you are experiencing difficulty with that casein material you may consider using another mix
Do you know the lactose content of the Micellar Casein?

CNizz

CNizz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I reviewed the COAs and the Spec sheet and the information isnt available on either form, contacted the manufacturer to resend the information and in their infinite wisdom they sent me the same COA and Spec sheets. I believe the lactose content is 0.6% based on the other contents on the Spec sheet but I will see if someone else in the company has that information available.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
You can try various proteins but will probably still experience gastric distress. Perhaps EAAs or hydrolyzed protein is in order. A probiotic or digestive enzyme complex is worth trying as it seems to alleviate digestion issues for most.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
i appreciate all the feedback. i've been using "gut health" and have had some alleviation to my symptoms. my next mix is going to compose of egg/casein/pea
thanks all

Scottmcd1

Awards
i appreciate all the feedback. i've been using "gut health" and have had some alleviation to my symptoms. my next mix is going to compose of egg/casein/pea
thanks all
Hey edwards maybe try out some Milk Protein Isolate?

True Protein’s Milk Protein Isolate is derived from both casein and whey products from fresh skim milk. The process of extraction is through an ultra filtration process that leaves the end product and Isolate. Since both casein and whey are used in the processing, Milk Protein Isolate possesses a high nutritional value. This is a great product for individuals that are lactose intolerant, Milk Protein Isolate is nearly lactose free.
I personally use gemma sometimes(when I don't have isolate or want something slightly slower digesting) and while I personally like the taste with premium chocolate many people aren't a big fan. MPI is a very popular choice though because it's 80% casein and 20% whey but still very cheap(as low as 6.76/lb when you use a discount code)... and of course in your situation nearly lactose free.