Shelf Life of DMSO

Redeemer

Awards
I have a bottle of DMSO almost 2 years old. I used it as a 10% additive to penetrate for my last S1 cycle. It seemed to work great although the stench was tough for my wife to handle. Anyways I was thinking of trying some phlojel and doing the same thing. Is the DMSO still god?
Two other things real quick, I saw a website that charges something like 100 bucks for 50ml of DMSO that they claim does not have the smell due to it's higher purity and lack of industrial solvents. Anyone know anything about different grades of DMSO?
And finally, custom's T-gel has DMSF. What the hell is that as a search turns up nothing?

fatsuperman

fatsuperman

Awards
  • Established
Does it still stink like A$$?

I'm betting an archaeologist could dig up a bottle of DMSO hundreds of years from now and still be able to use it.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
It's fairly stable. I have used 4 year old lots on UV assays that still passed. :)

Redeemer

Awards
Does it still stink like A$$?

I'm betting an archaeologist could dig up a bottle of DMSO hundreds of years from now and still be able to use it.
The closest thing I can compare it to is synthetic garlic. And the other thing is you don't really notice it so much on yourself, but my wife gave me a hard time whenever I got close.

Anyways, does anyone have input on the other stuff I asked?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Do you not see my post above? There is this cool search tool called Google try the words pure dmso and perhaps no smell. Also Ebay is your friend for this stuff as well.

Much Love,

Neoborn

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
...Anyone know anything about different grades of DMSO? And finally, custom's T-gel has DMSF. What the hell is that as a search turns up nothing?
I have used the cheap 99% Fisher brand and the 400$/gallon 99.999% B&J HPLC grade stuff and they both have that latent smell of garlic, subtle but distinct.

I have heard of some transdermal formulas with DMF in them, but I am unsure what DMSF is! Maybe a typo or something? I can't think of a solvent off hand with that abbreviation.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I have used the cheap 99% Fisher brand and the 400$/gallon 99.999% B&J HPLC grade stuff and they both have that latent smell of garlic, subtle but distinct.

I have heard of some transdermal formulas with DMF in them, but I am unsure what DMSF is! Maybe a typo or something? I can't think of a solvent off hand with that abbreviation.
DMF is dimethylformamide. I wouldn't use it, it's been linked to cancer in humans. It's a decent solvent though.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
DMF is dimethylformamide. I wouldn't use it, it's been linked to cancer in humans. It's a decent solvent though.
Agreed. I would never apply to my skin intentionally. The only time I've ever even used it was as a component of mobile phase for certain LC assays.

Still not sure what DMSF is though.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I would never apply to my skin intentionally. The only time I've ever even used it was as a component of mobile phase for certain LC assays.

Still not sure what DMSF is though.
Haha. I'm a good chemist, but obviously I can't read...

MTNMEDIC

Agreed, wish there was a way to get past that. I think it tastes like oysters.